Nail extensions not lasting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amymulroy

Reaction score
As the post says I'm struggling to get gel extensions to last. I've done a few sets to close friends and 1 seems to pop off in a few days. I use bella forma gel. I will list my steps.

Sanitise mine and clients hands.
Do all cuticle work and file nails.
I gently buff nails.
I match up tips and file to perfect size.
I wipe all nails down with nail wipe.
I glue on the tips. I file to a nice shape & size.
Again wipe nails down with nail wipe.
I lightly apply ph bond to nail only and leave a few moments.
I apply a thin base coat onto the nail and tip and cure
I apply my first layer of structure gel making sure it's very even and smooth and cure
I build up my shape and build some support onto stress areas and cure
I buff any imperfections and add any more gel if needed. I then wipe down with nail wipe and apply coloured gel or polish if desired

This is the most recent set i have done
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441657075.082390.jpg

Anyone at all??

Hi there, I was also having problems and have just found out my led lamp not strong enough! I am going to try my uv lamp next. Just a thought if you haven't considered [emoji2]

The structure of your nails looks flawed. There are too flat in the centre and too bulbous around the edges. The gel should blend perfectly into the natural nail at the cuticle but also at the side walls. there should be a gradual curve up to the center of the nails both long ways and width ways, the centre of the nail should be about the thickness of 2 credit cards for the length of nails shown above.

also if nails are popping off it may be an under curing issue, are the nails shiny when you wipe them after curing?

Okay thanks il try again on myself today! Yes they are shiny! X

Could I ask how you do it? Do you have one flat layer over the full nail then make your curve? X

When i do gel nails i do a base layer first which is just a very thin even layer of gel all over the nail. When thats cured i get a bead of gel about the size of a pea , then starting in at the cuticle in the centre i angle my brush at a 45 degree angle down and walk the gel down the nail towards the free edge so there is a log of gel down the centre. As the brush reaches the middle the brush is parallel to the nail and the as the brush reaches the free edge it is angled upwards at 45 degrees, get your brush out now and try in on your own nail with out any product just to understand how the brush should be angled. When you distribute your gel like this you will have the bulk of the product already in the centre of the nail, then all you have to do is gently tease it out the the parameters of the nail and check placement of apex before curing :) You could also turn the nails upside down for a few seconds and the gel with automatically self level and drag product away from the edges and into the centre for you giving you the correct shape.

Thank you so much for that advice you made it very clear and simple! I will practice that method thanks again [emoji175][emoji175][emoji175]

Latest posts

Back