Giving the hand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I have 2 clients who don't give me their hand and they were both booked in today!!! They place their hand on my rolled up towel and its in the correct position to work on, but as soon as I begin, they start to pull away and raise their hand and finger up towards them so they can see!!! So annoying - I've joked with them both about it, explaining that I need to see what I'm doing and they just need to see the finished result but they still do it. It's getting to the point where I'm giving up nearly, and just "do what I can" but the result isn't very professional looking. Does anyone else have this problem, if so how to be forceful but polite and professional please?

Just be firm with them, look them in the eye and explain you cannot do your job and provide quality service if they don't cooperate and let you handle them. Some people are plain dumb and you just have to be forward.

This made me chuckle, I know exactly what you mean. But it is frustrating. I make it all very jokey, while taking hold of their and putting it where I need it. Stuff fingers sometimes get a gentle shake/wiggle to get their attention . And if they continue to hold their finger so only they can see it, I hold mine in the same way and ask them how much of my nail they can see, so they understand if I can't see it I can't do a good job. Like I said I keep it all light hearted but I put their hand where I need it.

I have a few clients like this, I start off the treatment saying 'relax yuour hand' and 'let your hand go soft' and eventually just repeat 'hand' every time I feel a tensed finger..
Try sitting them closer to the table with the hand cushion quite near you, you will have less stretching to reach/see/reprimand that naughty hand plus their hand will be further away from them and for my clients this has been successful with it seems to be less easy for them to manoeuvre their fingers/wrist with their arm further away from themselves.

Did that make sense?

I have a few clients like this, I start off the treatment saying 'relax yuour hand' and 'let your hand go soft' and eventually just repeat 'hand' every time I feel a tensed finger..
Try sitting them closer to the table with the hand cushion quite near you, you will have less stretching to reach/see/reprimand that naughty hand plus their hand will be further away from them and for my clients this has been successful with it seems to be less easy for them to manoeuvre their fingers/wrist with their arm further away from themselves.

Did that make sense?

Yeah this is good advice, I usually say "relax your hand please" and have a little laugh about it, my mums the worst for it! Her whole hand is solid and I just give it a shake hahaha

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it's not just me!! I'll give all your advice a go and hopefully I'll win the hand battle!!!

When I'm battling with a client to keep their fingers angled down I just let go of my grip and there fingers go flying up but they then realise what there doing and relax their hand :) give a friendly smile and carry on :)

I have had a couple of clients like this. When they do it, I just stop working and look at them until they realise what they are doing. I have the advantage of working in a busy hair-dressing salon so that distracts them kind of.

If your table is big enough give them a magazine. It will distract them!

Im very bossy, to start just say relax but if that doesn't work I tap their fingers and give them a stern look lol

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Also make sure your hand rest is under their forearm not under hand and their hand should naturally hang more relaxed, supported by your hand, and their fingers will point downwards.

Tell them that if they can see their nails, you can't! :smack:

Latest posts

Back