Giving up employment to go mobile, advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazzi

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

My sister has asked me to ask anyone's advice on her following situation:-

My brother in law had a very good job for 23 yrs, my sister also a mobile hairdresser, she didnt need a big client base. However, in 2009 recession had hit construction and bil was getting worried bout his future.

Sis realised, if he got made redundant, her income wouldnt pay the mortgage or even feed the family, so she decided to find parttime employment(still hairdessing a day a week.)

She landed a 3 day a week job in NHS. Within 6 months of her getting the job, bil was made redundant. Her regular wage was a god send, and bil set up his own business, which has slowly got of the ground. Problem. Sis hates her NHS job, shes stuck in an office as general dogsbody (admin)with a really cliquey team who she dosnt get on with. Its making her ill, I've told her to get out and back to mobile, but she's worried it wont take of quick enough and they'll get into financial difficulties.
The other thing is, she gets 6 months full pay if off sick, 7 weeks paid hols, pension if she can stick that long, and a monthly car allowance.

I can understand how torn she is.
Has anybody been in similar situation, and/or give a advice as to what to do for best.
Any help gratefully received! x:confused:

those are really good benefits for a job but if shes not happy then thats that. i set up as a mobile beautician a year ago (i am a qualified hairdresser but i'm a bit of a sweeney todd) my friend also set up as a mobile hairdresser and neither of us look back. it was hard for me to set up because beauty treatments are more of a treat so if people dont have much money they go out the window, where as with hairdressing you'll always need your hair done so you do get a lot of regular clients. if shes got alot of people willing to help, i find leaflet drops door to door the best, i designed my own and printed them off so not as expensive as getting them done professionally. its very stressful setting up and when you're self employed you are never sick! i havent had a sick day in a whole year. aslong as her prices are fair i don't see why she shouldnt do well :D good luck!

Latest posts

Back