Giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipLiCiouS

Reaction score
Hi geeks..

In march at pro beauty I purchased my tanning Kit and was exited to start off, so got all my leaflets loyalty cards and website done.. And its August now and NOT 1 customer has booked.. I'm so dishearted that I'm calling it a day...

I've distributed anywhere and everywhere I even went down to the Olympic Park to hand them out, but no response..

I have a near new shellac kit Which I bought at the same time to and that's also gathering dust on the shelf.. I've spent over £700 and for nothing..

It was a bad bet for me.. I haven't tanned for over 5 months now, its killed all my aspirations off.

Thanks for your time every one..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi geeks..

In march at pro beauty I purchased my tanning Kit and was exited to start off, so got all my leaflets loyalty cards and website done.. And its August now and NOT 1 customer has booked.. I'm so dishearted that I'm calling it a day...

I've distributed anywhere and everywhere I even went down to the Olympic Park to hand them out, but no response..

I have a near new shellac kit Which I bought at the same time to and that's also gathering dust on the shelf.. I've spent over £700 and for nothing..

It was a bad bet for me.. I haven't tanned for over 5 months now, its killed all my aspirations off.

Thanks for your time every one..

Oh no, that's a horrible feeling hun :( that would be such a shame to give up. Maybe post a link to your website and some photos of your leaflets etc? Maybe we can help?
Just a thought though... I'm sure you've checked, double checked and triple checked.... There hasn't been a printing error has there? Your contact details are correct on all of your advertising material aren't they? I know it seems simple and obvious, but u happened to my friend lol

Do you have a Facebook page? You could advertise on the buy/sell pages on Facebook too with a special offer when quoting Facebook. Do you have any friends you could do treatments on and use them as advertising?

It seems such a shame to give up. We will get this sorted.... DO NOT GIVE UP!!! :)

Xxx

I agree with everything above, we would love to see your website and flyers and definitely practice on friends etc, before I started I didn't believe how effective word of mouth was in this industry, but so far it's given me all of my clients.
Something I've quickly thought of is how are your prices for your area? If they're too high people would much rather go to a salon..

Don't give up!

Oh dear, I am so sorry. I agree with all the advice already given. Also have a look on the Biz Geek section. There are some really helpful threads on there on how to promote your business do a little search. Lynne Baker started one and there are other too that contain some very helpful info.

Have you tried posting a little free ad on the netmums site? Wahanda? Freeindex? Join all your local Wedding Pages on facebook, drop some leaflets off at Bridal stores offer the proprietor a discount a free tan or a free manicure( just a file, tidy and polish unless you wan to shellac for free) Get your site crosslinked as much as you can. I will pop a link on in a minute to help you with this. One of our geeks was kind enough to start a thread a while ago. http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/187012-rank-your-website-well-group-participation.html

Above all lovey, don't give up yet unless you feel in your heart of hearts that you have done all you can

I found it hard when I came to the UK I knew only my husband and his parents. So I really had to start from scratch and it is difficult so I do feel for you but if you just keep at it it will come right for you

Like everyone else has said DON'T GIVE UP :)

You have spent so much money on your kits etc.

Try advertising on Facebook and gumtree,Yell.com, and myhairdresser.com they have all worked for me. Word of mouth also works.

Good luck and keep ya chin up :) xx

I'm not as busy as I'd like to be. Some weeks I have NO clients, other weeks I'll have a handful, its my few regulars that keep me from giving it up.

I work 40 hours a week (non beauty) all my other spare breathing moments are spent trying to get my little business off the ground, at the minute i offer tans, lashes & (in 2 weeks) I'll be qualified in manicure & pedicure too. I'll possibly keep adding to my treatments such as gelish / minx but not until im a bit busier.

I know it's frustrating & very disheartening, just keep going, I could easily eBay all my equipment when I have no one in for ages but I tell myself one day it'll be all worth it.

I find it very hard to understand that you've advertised as much as you say with not 1 client? X

Sorry to hijack but I just had to say this is why I love this site. I am not even in the business yet and I know if I'm having any problems of any sort that the this is the first place I will go. You are all so lovely and helpful. This site is amazing, getting as addictive to me as Facebook.

Good luck with all the great advice you've been given so far OP, I hope you don't give up.:) xx

Thanks for your support and great Advice... I've reposted my ads online again I even handed out leaflets at School but nothing... I even raffled a tan at the School fete but the tan raffle was the last one left and was given to boy.. :-( I really wanted this to work because I didn't want to go back to work.. Sop sop

Just a thought - I have looked at your website and as far as I can see it doesn't say where you are based, what areas you cover and what times you are available - all pretty critical things?

It also doesn't say who you are or whether the tan is at their place or yours etc?

Also, looking on the website there don't seem to be any keywords and it is built in Flash - what is your web traffic like are you getting visitors who are finding you through organic search or only those who are coming direct from your leaflets - and do your leaflets contain the crucial info that your website doesn't???

Word of mouth is a wonderful thing. Practice on your friends, they are then a walking advertisement for you. Keep going, please don't give up, it's tough but it's not impossible and once it gets going it'll carry on.

Have you tried advertising in local bridal shops? Why not offer a free tan to the staff in exchange for leaving your cards in there? If you can become one of their preferred suppliers that'd be awesome. x

Latest posts

Back