Gluten free skin care and SPF skin care - expert advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Hi Skincare geeks

I was hoping for some advice around a skin care line I am looking into here in Canada. The line is advertised as Gluten free however the ingredients listed include barley extract. As the mother of a celiac child I have been advised by our doctor and a dietician that barley is a no-no and most articles on the internet also indicate that barley contains the gluten protein, which I kinda knew already so I have questioned the barley extract content with the manufacturer and their tech has told me that they use gluten free barley (which as far as I am aware does not exist) and that they have documentation from the chemist stating that it is a guaranteed gluten free item (they are sending me the documentation). I guess my question is do I need to pursue this any further as to me it doesn't make sense or is the chemists word gospel in this matter as it is marketed as a gluten free product they would be opening themselves up to a huge law suit I would assume if it's not?

Secondly the range does not provide an SPF in its moisturizer range and here in Calgary we really need that as although it's cold it's usually very sunny. I also asked the manufacturer about this and they told me that the serum they use is high in vitamin c and zinc which are the body's natural SPF. They stated that if you are out in the sun a lot like playing golf or swimming you would need an additional SPF but for everyday use you would not. Is there any truth to this or should clients always be using an SPF? Although they advised their product doesn't need an SPF they are launching one later in the year. I just want to make sure I am dealing with a product that has manufacturers with integrity.

Thanks!
Jackie

I've not come across gluten-free barley in food products, that's for sure. I suggest you contact the coeliac society to check re skincare and gluten-free barley.

For what it's worth I don't find skincare a prob as long as I don't use it on the lips, but of course each case is different.

I work with Environ products and have just come back from a refresher training with them. I have learnt the following:
You do not want an SPF in your moisturiser for several reasons.

1. A moisturiser is meant to go into the skin and an SPF is meant to sit on the top, so mixing the 2 causes a conflict in the product.

2. A lot of moisturisers do not get retested once the SPF is added so you cannot be sure you're getting the right coverage.

3. You are meant to reapply an SPF, so why would you want to reapply your more expensive moisturiser?

We should all wear a broad spectrum SPF - that is UVA and UVB all year round. UVA is around all year and is the more damaging, ageing ray.
We need an SPF of 15 - even in hot sun. The first 15 levels of an SPF give us 95% protection - an SPF of 30 only gives us about 1% more protection than the 15, with double the chemicals that protect our skin which equates to about 15 more minutes in the sun.
Environs RAD cream SPF 15 is approved by the cancer association of South Africa who I'm sure wouldn't approve a factor 15 if we should all be wearing 50.

Vits C and E do boost our own natural SPF but should never be used in place of a sunscreen.

As to the companies integrity, I can't help, but that was a long essay for me. I hope it has been of some use - I'm off for a vino x

I work with Environ products and have just come back from a refresher training with them. I have learnt the following:
You do not want an SPF in your moisturiser for several reasons.

1. A moisturiser is meant to go into the skin and an SPF is meant to sit on the top, so mixing the 2 causes a conflict in the product.

2. A lot of moisturisers do not get retested once the SPF is added so you cannot be sure you're getting the right coverage.

3. You are meant to reapply an SPF, so why would you want to reapply your more expensive moisturiser?

We should all wear a broad spectrum SPF - that is UVA and UVB all year round. UVA is around all year and is the more damaging, ageing ray.
We need an SPF of 15 - even in hot sun. The first 15 levels of an SPF give us 95% protection - an SPF of 30 only gives us about 1% more protection than the 15, with double the chemicals that protect our skin which equates to about 15 more minutes in the sun.
Environs RAD cream SPF 15 is approved by the cancer association of South Africa who I'm sure wouldn't approve a factor 15 if we should all be wearing 50.

Vits C and E do boost our own natural SPF but should never be used in place of a sunscreen.

As to the companies integrity, I can't help, but that was a long essay for me. I hope it has been of some use - I'm off for a vino x

Yes actually that is very helpful, although it does undermine my whole thought process of needing an SPF. I am assuming Environ doesn't have an SPF moisturizer? I am interested to see comments from professionals using a an SPF one too to see if it's conflicting. I am also off to do some more research as I feel like I may have been told porkie pies all this time!

No they don't have a moisturiser with SPF in it for the reasons given - they retail RAD which is a lot cheaper than their moisturiser, is a different consistency and gives great protection!!!

Hope that helps x

Latest posts

Back