Going Orange

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loubylou

Reaction score
A few days ago on here we were talking about spray tanning ( nothing new there ) and i had said that i had been on a training course with Couture spray tan ( Debbie Easter ), i had said that the next day i was orange looking, i have since spoke with Debbie who has explained to me that it is down to the fact that i was sprayed in a training session and possibly gone over the same areas more than once, as i am very very pale, skin like mine can only take a light covering and it was more than likely down to the application and not the solution, i understand this as it did look great on everyone else.
Debbie is very kindly going to send me a sample to try out at home and i will keep you all up to date with the outcome.

Also Debbie is offering spray tanning courses for FREE if any one is interested, the training is good and a bit of fun too, so if it is something that you have wanted to train in but couldnt afford to now is the ideal time to take up this offer

Sorry hun but usually the reason you go orange is because the DHA is too high a percentage for your skin. If you never tan and always burn then a 5% solution is the one for you. You could go for an 8% and not leave it to develop so long, but much better to have the right solution to start with in my opinion.

Hi
as I explained to Lou when we were tanning, everyone was having a go at spraying her, her legs probably got tanned about 4 times, just as people have pointed out before, if you have a stronger dha and wash it off after a few hours it wont develop fully, if you use the correct strength but you "paint the body brown" it wont have the correct effect on the skin either.
Louise like myself is very fair skinned, and I use Romantic Glow 8% all the time and its a perfect colour, BUT if I have been in a situation where I have been training all day, getting my hands in the way of the gun etc etc and too much is sprayed onto my skin, I will go too dark (orange) this happens with every tan I have used not just one particular brand.
Debbie Easter
Creative Nail Academy Manchester
Couture Beauty

I have been in a situation where I have been training all day, getting my hands in the way of the gun etc etc and too much is sprayed onto my skin, I will go too dark (orange) this happens with every tan I have used not just one particular brand.
Debbie Easter
Creative Nail Academy Manchester
Couture Beauty

Best way to avoid this Debbie would be to wear protective gloves :)

A few days ago on here we were talking about spray tanning ( nothing new there ) and i had said that i had been on a training course with Couture spray tan ( Debbie Easter ), i had said that the next day i was orange looking, i have since spoke with Debbie who has explained to me that it is down to the fact that i was sprayed in a training session and possibly gone over the same areas more than once, as i am very very pale, skin like mine can only take a light covering and it was more than likely down to the application and not the solution, i understand this as it did look great on everyone else.
Debbie is very kindly going to send me a sample to try out at home and i will keep you all up to date with the outcome.

Also Debbie is offering spray tanning courses for FREE if any one is interested, the training is good and a bit of fun too, so if it is something that you have wanted to train in but couldnt afford to now is the ideal time to take up this offer

I was spraying you Loubylou.... I kept going over the same places to make sure I hadn't missed a bit... but the spray was so fine I couldn't see what I was doing :lol: :lol:

Best way to avoid this Debbie would be to wear protective gloves :)

I think Debbie learnt the hard way with the Orange hands... because she was wearing gloves when she trained us!

Sorry I don't understand what you mean about painting the body brown?

Also choosing a DHA %age is very individual and what may work for you doesn't mean it will work for others. I always teach to err on the side of caution and to start with the lowest DHA for the skin type, which in this case would have been 5%.

My students always bring a model, I spray them first using the double spray technique and they do likewise so the model always gets sprayed 4 times and have never gone orange because the correct solution was used. I am sorry to disagree with you but I really think you are giving out incorrect information here.

I was spraying you Loubylou.... I kept going over the same places to make sure I hadn't missed a bit... but the spray was so fine I couldn't see what I was doing :lol: :lol:

The thing about spray tanning is in the technique - you must spray at an even speed in an even motion. Spraying up and down in one direction and then back on yourself, you really shouldn't have to worry about seeing it at all .. that's the whole point of an HVLP system, it takes all the guess work away or have loads of overspray to worry about. By doing it this way you don't need to keep going back on yourself or worrying if you have missed it - that wastes time and solution!

Sorry hun but usually the reason you go orange is because the DHA is too high a percentage for your skin. If you never tan and always burn then a 5% solution is the one for you. You could go for an 8% and not leave it to develop so long, but much better to have the right solution to start with in my opinion.

My next door neighbour is ginger haired and much paler than Louby and she had the 8% done and it looked great on her... more like a pale tan that you could hardly notice.

There were three of us on the course that day, all with different skin tones and I didn't go Orange at all. When I had washed it off I was only slightly tanned, so think I would prefer the Romantic Bronze next time as I tan well in the sun and the Romantic Glow was too light for me I think - I would like to be darker.

But that is the whole point, some pale skinned people can cope with an 8% and some can't. That is why you need to start with a 5% for the first time you tan people with this skin type. You can warn them that if they want to go for a higher percentage they can, but there is always a risk of going orange, which indeed did happen on this occasion - you've then lost that client and risked your own reputation by not tailoring the tan to each individual.

You cannot generalise that what works for one will work for another.

The thing about spray tanning is in the technique - you must spray at an even speed in an even motion. Spraying up and down in one direction and then back on yourself, you really shouldn't have to worry about seeing it at all ..

Not sure what you mean about going back on yourself.... but anyway, when students are learning they do have doubts about spraying and they do tend to want to go over an area again, we teach them not to, but these things happen in training, thats what I was trying to explain about "painting someone brown, as if they are spraying a fence" , you only need 1 even coat...... and thats how you learn, from your mistakes.
The reason that most tanning solutions have a guide colour is so you can see where you are going, if not, this is where mistakes can happen.
IT IS down to technique, and this is why we offer free training so people can be trained to work correctly with the solution and the machine.....WHICHEVER tanning range they are using.

There are quite a few of us on this site that have been in the tanning /nail industry for a long time and have been trained by the best and with the best (at the time) thats why our training is accredited, and people copy our training/manuals.
We all made mistakes at the beginning thats how we all learn.

Debbie
Creative Nail Academy
Manchester
Couture Beauty

We all made mistakes at the beginning thats how we all learn.

Yup, but I've never had anyone go orange EVER which was the real point of this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neither have I

I think it should read TOO BROWN!

But it was referred to at the beginning as orange
Debbie
Creative Nail Academy
Manchester
Couture Beauty

I like to refer to it as 'Umpa Loompa Coloured' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry I know you are all debating but I thought it was funny!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Neither have I

I think it should read TOO BROWN!

But it was referred to at the beginning as orange

Lol! Too Brown, try telling that to David ****inson :lol: !

I like to refer to it as 'Umpa Loompa Coloured' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry I know you are all debating but I thought it was funny!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Orang-a-tang coloured... ewww... scary thought!

I am going to take on board some of Sassy's comments tho as sometimes I get complacent and offer an 8% before 5% which could result in the Orang-a-tang look if I was not careful!

Thanks for the good points you made there Sassy :hug:

I am going to take on board some of Sassy's comments tho as sometimes I get complacent and offer an 8% before 5% which could result in the Orang-a-tang look if I was not careful!

Well if you've never had any complaints yet, why would you change???? :rolleyes:

Well if you've never had any complaints yet, why would you change???? :rolleyes:

Just because you've been lucky doesnt mean it won't happen - and it already has in the first day of your tanning experience whilst training too! Why take the risk? I don't get many clients who need a 5%, but having that option gives me and my clients ... and my business ... peace of mind and a complete choice.

Just because you've been lucky doesnt mean it won't happen - and it already has in the first day of your tanning experience whilst training too! Why take the risk? I don't get many clients who need a 5%, but having that option gives me and my clients ... and my business ... peace of mind and a complete choice.

I was surprised as Nail FX has said she was trained by the best, and has been spray tanning for 18 months.

Surely if she had had no problems, then she is obviously judging peoples skin tones correctly? Don't you get used to things, so much that you don't need to doubt yourself? Like people do with nails?

I agree with you Jen! Sassy's comments are valid - we need to tailor the colour to our clients, like we do with everything in this industry - I was told if it was the first time doing a tan on a client - DO A PATCH test - just like you would with hair dye, eyelash/brow tint etc. The other thing is, surely logic would have it that the lower the percentage, the lighter the tan - the higher - the darker???

I know in the above case they were training but in the client world it is good practice to do a patch test and do a consultation first - if I'm wrong or misinformed then I will hold my hand up!

I was surprised as Nail FX has said she was trained by the best, and has been spray tanning for 18 months.

Surely if she had had no problems, then she is obviously judging peoples skin tones correctly? Don't you get used to things, so much that you don't need to doubt yourself? Like people do with nails?

Yup you do get used to things ... but as happened to you on your training with an experienced trainer it doesn't always work does it?! Maybe Jen hasn't had anyone who has had that skin type anyway, but she is right to say that you mustn't forget that bottle of 5% that rarely gets used!

Consultation with the client is such a crucial part of tanning, it is how you really tell which solutions a client can use. I've had clients come in with faces as pale as snow. My immediate thought was a 5%, but with consultation and seeing her very tanned body we could have used a 10%. I would never assume I know a client's skin cos you know what they say about assume!!!!

Also I have started off at a 5%, or even an 8% and there really hasn't been much difference, so next time we know we can move safely up to the next solution. Maybe I'm just cautious, but I'd rather that a client has a colour they are happy with but would like a bit darker next time, than being orange or too brown on their first visit cos you can guarantee they won't come back!

Latest posts

Back