Going Orange

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orang-a-tang coloured... ewww... scary thought!

I am going to take on board some of Sassy's comments tho as sometimes I get complacent and offer an 8% before 5% which could result in the Orang-a-tang look if I was not careful!

Thanks for the good points you made there Sassy :hug:

I was surprised as Nail FX has said she was trained by the best, and has been spray tanning for 18 months.

Surely if she had had no problems, then she is obviously judging peoples skin tones correctly? Don't you get used to things, so much that you don't need to doubt yourself? Like people do with nails?
Ok don't shoot me down -you know how daft I am - but I read it as though Jen was saying that there is always a chance of someone/her getting complacent?

You are right in one respect Cadence, that anything we do on a repeated basis becomes second nature and that we have belief in ourselves and no reason for doubt, but what happens if you are distracted even for just a moment? Use too high a percentage and zap you are TANGOED!

It's just a thought :hug:

You are correct a consultation should always be done before any treatment or it can invalidate your insurance, a patch test isnt neccessary though unless the client has very sensitive skin and is concerned about the active ingredients in the tan, by filling in a consultation form and keeping it up to date every time the client comes back will give you the confidence that you are using the correct strength, are selling the correct aftercare and if there are any problems you have something to refer back to.
Debbie

Some people just don't have skin that tans - so it is natural for them to feel they look 'orange, umpah loompah, tangoed' if they have had a spray tan... but have never actually seen themselves with a tan from the sun...

Does that make sense?

If your skin is white WHITE, then even the slightest colour could look orange to YOU

Some people just don't have skin that tans - so it is natural for them to feel they look 'orange, umpah loompah, tangoed' if they have had a spray tan... but have never actually seen themselves with a tan from the sun...

Does that make sense?

If your skin is white WHITE, then even the slightest colour could look orange to YOU

Caroline if you want to believe that line then that's up to you, but with the right solution then they will just have a gentle glow, not a mega tan and it won't look orange or too brown or whatever ... just enough colour that they will love and come back again and again! That's why a 5% is such a great solution to have in your colour range!

I like to refer to it as 'Umpa Loompa Coloured' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry I know you are all debating but I thought it was funny!! :rolleyes: :lol:
Haha i have just come back online and read this out to my fella, he thought this was a really apt comment to make cos as he says i am only the size of a umpa lumpa ( cheeky so and so ) lol :lol:

Haha i have just come back online and read this out to my fella, he thought this was a really apt comment to make cos as he says i am only the size of a umpa lumpa ( cheeky so and so ) lol :lol:

I think you've confused people here - the reason your face was orange was the colour guide, but you did say that it was a lovely colour everywhere else and when you'd washed your face, it was fine....

... if it was fine for you and a lovely colour the next day - this is what you want :hug:

Hi there,

Havn't had a tan go orange yet & I dont think it will happen either.
Vani-t doesn't go orange even with repeated overspray of the same area( don't ask me how I know :lol: )
We've been having great results & clients have great tans.

DHA resistant - Skin that doesn't hold/maintain a tan -or much of anything else.

Tanning soulutions only absorb into the skin so much, actually it really only adhere's to dead skin cell's, thats why exfoliation & waxing is best done the day before your sprayed to start with a fresh canvas & avoid patchey bits.

Over buffing/loofah/exfoliating of the body will actually affect application, & the skin. It looks dry, shiney & makes anything hard to absorb.

I tanned a friend who exfoliate's everyday ! Way to often as once a week is suggested for exfoliation. Her skin looked like the above mentioned. It was like the tan just wiped off.

The next day it wasn't 100% and within a few days was patchey.
This lady likes a soak in the bath also for around 45 mins a day, EVERYDAY:eek:

After going through a consult again we worked out -
Exfoliate less, Moisturize more! more! more!, & rehydrate with lots of water lol ( drink it not lay in it ).

HtH

XX J XX

One of my clients is extremely fair skin and she has a 5%. Its a great colour on her and looks really natural. She wanted to try 8% the other day. It just didn't suit it. She didn't go orange, but it was just too dark.

Although its rarely used, I'm glad I've got the 5% in my colour range.

I was surprised as Nail FX has said she was trained by the best, and has been spray tanning for 18 months.

Surely if she had had no problems, then she is obviously judging peoples skin tones correctly? Don't you get used to things, so much that you don't need to doubt yourself? Like people do with nails?

Sorry I have not responded to comments I made, I have been away with clients... but I feel I have to comment on CadenceAlex's surprise at my earlier comments.

When you learn to drive, you are taught the 'right way' the official way which is the safest way according to the Highway Code, you all sing from the same hymn sheet so to speak. Within a short while you learn little divertive driving techniques, keeping the safe standards in the majority of time but sometimes your own divertive techniques can become all too prominent and you could actually be driving un-safely at times and maybe you need a little tweak to pull yourself in to a more safe way of operating. Hence why some people go on advance driving courses.

I digress.. but what I am trying to say is.. I was taught by the best... in my opinion is still the best in the industry today.. and I was taught well. I have got my own style now and obviously I do things a little differently to how I was taught 18 months ago.

I have a regular client base who returns for top up tans and I have yet to receive a complaint about being ORANGE or TOO BROWN or what ever colour you want to call being over sprayed. Maybe I have been lucky... but I don't think its down to luck, its down to trying to keep consistent and remember the training rules.

When I teach students to spray.. I oversee all what is being done.. there is no over spraying on their models, I want their models to be happy with their tans even though they know they are being used to train on. They come ready prepared for a tan and have so far all gone away having a professional tan, and happy. I would certainly not allow for a model to be sprayed excessively over and over.

I recently had a student whose skin was almost transparent, so pale it looked like it could tear. She had 5% and she looked so gorgeous.. it was a transformation without the heavy bronzing. She looked so well and natural. I feel the 5% has a place and I am so happy I have the option to use it, be it quite infrequently.

So CandanceAlex.. don't be surprised hun... we can all learn even though we are thoroughly taught in the first place.. there is always room for improvements ... NO?

You stop learning when you’re dead!

:hug:

I have read this thread with interest.

Every spray tan I do I complete a full client consultation which enables me to match a DHA % to the clients natural skin tone and tanning abilities.

I have had 1 client go oompa loompa and that was because she ignored my advice (hairdresser at the salon I used to work at). I have one client who insists in 10% as he loves the Dale Winton look!

Generally, I will go for 8% on most skins, but there are some which you know just will not take it so I go for 5%....also for weddings, women who want a tan, who could take an 8%, I will advise to try a 5% first as they don't want to look like they've been on the honeymoon before the wedding. I have also mixed 5% and 8% to get more of a 6% which works well when an 8% is too much and a 5% too little.

Hi Sassy
What tan do you use?

I use SUDO
I'm looking for a change soooon(i have been very pleased with all the results)
Things change all the time...time for a change now
Jenx

Hi Sassy
What tan do you use?

I use SUDO
I'm looking for a change soooon(i have been very pleased with all the results)
Things change all the time...time for a change now
Jenx

I use Tantrick and have always been happy with the solutions and the company. However I feel if you are happy with Sudo then why change? If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that! Unless of course you can't get the solutions now as they went under I believe a while back.

If you really want to change then I'm sure if you pm Mandy with your details she will send you some sample solutions. I just like the natural colour that Tantrick gives, not saying others don't too, but with so many companies out there at the moment, and some doing some rather underhanded tactics to get the business from what I hear, just make sure you choose wisely!

Sorry guys ... just had to post this picture :lol:

Sudo are now owned by Richards and Appleby, in Wales.
There are lots of tanning companies out there, and my advice would be to get a sample from all of those you are interested in, try them all and then make your decision

Debbie Easter
Creative Ambassador Manchester
Couture Beauty

i hope this isnt going off thread too much, how long a life does a solution have i seem to vaguely remember 3 months? just wondering if its cost effective to have solution in stock(5%) that i might never have to use.

i hope this isnt going off thread too much, how long a life does a solution have i seem to vaguely remember 3 months? just wondering if its cost effective to have solution in stock(5%) that i might never have to use.

I just looked on Google for you and Ebay came up about a solution containing Aloe Vera, Erythulose and DHA that has a shelf life of 365 days - they are all pretty much similar in what they contain so I should imagine the same applies. The 365 was relating to Sienna Sun I think.

im A HAPPY TANTRICK USER TOO!

Super customer services, lovely natural looking tan solution.

I had a lady come to me strawberry blonde hair NEVER EVER tanned, sprayed her in 5% and she looked GORGE.

she was so happy, and i was chuffed to bits:green:

So would you say 10% strength would be too dark for most skins. I have celebrity secrets in 10% and use it on most people. I also have heavenly bodies which I use on more fair headed people. Havent had any problems with either.

cadencealex thanks for the info it was kind of you too look.:hug:

Latest posts

Back