Going wrong with my haircuts.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soosh

Reaction score
I am so sad...the last 3 cuts i did were wrong ( talking about long layers cut). One side (always the left one) was longer than the other one. Much longer, even visible. I tried to 'fix' it, but then i was afraid i will just make it shorter, as i couldn't see where the problem was.
The back was all even, but then....something happened with the right side.
Luckly, i got away with it, but i am sure they will notice at home (haha, i have nightmares because of that!).
I made sure they sat right, their chin was in. i pulled the hair tight, i cut in front of me, etc...so can't see where i went wrong!

I am at the beginning and (god knows why!) the stylists and the manager let me cut client's hair in the salon,altough i am not even half way my level 2. It makes me be paranoid now, and i live with the feeling that they will call and complain!

Any adivce please? did it happen to any of you when you were training?

I am so sad...the last 3 cuts i did were wrong ( talking about long layers cut). One side (always the left one) was longer than the other one. Much longer, even visible. I tried to 'fix' it, but then i was afraid i will just make it shorter, as i couldn't see where the problem was.
The back was all even, but then....something happened with the right side.
Luckly, i got away with it, but i am sure they will notice at home (haha, i have nightmares because of that!).
I made sure they sat right, their chin was in. i pulled the hair tight, i cut in front of me, etc...so can't see where i went wrong!

I am at the beginning and (god knows why!) the stylists and the manager let me cut client's hair in the salon,altough i am not even half way my level 2. It makes me be paranoid now, and i live with the feeling that they will call and complain!

Any adivce please? did it happen to any of you when you were training?

I take it these clients know you're in training? And is your manager not checking your haircuts afterwards?

A client should never leave with a bad haircut especially when you can see it isn't right. My clients don't leave until I'm completely satisfied.

Perhaps you need to find a new method for this particular haircut? Have whoever is teaching you go over the steps with you and make sure you are always connecting with your guideline.

Can u not get someone else in the salon to check ur cuts?

My old boss used to this for me because I knew it wasn't level but couldnt work out where I was going wrong.

It helped me to see someone else correct it.

Don't give up it will come eventually.

Although I would want to make the clients aware your still in training.

Good luck.

Xx

Does it have a side parting? Did you pull them straight up? Cross check?

You must of lost your guide, I did this on my block luckily on my first ever layered cut, but I just ultra made sure I stuck and followed my guide next time lol!! X

Does it have a side parting? Did you pull them straight up? Cross check?

They all had side partings, so the longer part was the heavier part as well.
I felt bad that i didn't correct it right there, straight away. Don't know how to cross check. (??)..and the stylist is always busy. We don't tell the walk-ins that i'm training. If they ask, we don't deny it...but they don't pay the same price as with the senior stylist anyway. I do a cut and a blow dry in 45min... (haha, it shows :))
The thing is i've done quite a few cuts and it never happened before....

But i know i let them go like that, instead of fixing it more until i was completely satisfied. I did fix it, BUT i was afraid I will cut too much off from the other side, so when i pulled it down to check, i could feel the difference of a cm on a side.I tried to round the corner and feather it. so it takes some of the uneven effect...
But when i checked the back again it was all even, coming nice with the sides...

Honestly, it gives me nightmares.... did it happen to u when you were training to do bad haircuts? or you were all good and brilliant at it?? cause i definitely can say that i struggle!

Oh...and do u ever do things like....go a few steps and look at your client from the distance and from different angles, or make them stand up or other things like this? Because everytime they come to pay and i look at they hair, i see it in a different light, and i can spot some minor mistakes.
But...i've never seen somebody else in a salon doing that and i feel that it will make me look weird, lost and like i have no clue about what i'm doing.

I felt bad that i didn't correct it right there, straight away. Don't know how to cross check. (??)..and the stylist is always busy. We don't tell the walk-ins that i'm training. If they ask, we don't deny it...but they don't pay the same price as with the senior stylist anyway. I do a cut and a blow dry in 45min... (haha, it shows :))

But i know i let them go like that, instead of fixing it more until i was completely satisfied. I did fix it, BUT i was afraid I will cut too much off from the other side, so when i pulled it down to check, i could feel the difference of a cm on a side.I tried to round the corner and feather it. so it takes some of the uneven effect...
But when i checked the back again it was all even, coming nice with the sides...

Honestly, it gives me nightmares.... did it happen to u when you were training to do bad haircuts? or you were all good and brilliant at it?? cause i definitely can say that i struggle!

Ok always pull your layers straight up and you will see what's going on :) take a small bit from each side if the parting and pull straight up :) as for cross checking!!

I'm shocked they don't teach you, basically just go back over your cut at different angles to how you first cut it and again it will show your mistakes, corners that Ned raking off etc, I usually do this and slice through the ends to remove the weight a bit, do it kills two birds one stone! :) I always used to cut way to much off on blocks when I was training but clients I got it right :) thankfully!

You will get it Hun like bluerinse says just pull your layers up to the top always follow your guide. My training wasnt great either basically what your getting now!!! Utmost made me determined anything you don't knowby the sound of it you will have to ask as that's what I used to do!! Just ask ask ask away it was the only way I really got told anything to begin with in the salon, it totally kills your confidence! Luckily the college I went to once a fortnight was really good and always there to show me what I asked :) you will get there Hun just don't ever try and cut corners to be quicker xx

Oh...and do u ever do things like....go a few steps and look at your client from the distance and from different angles, or make them stand up or other things like this? Because everytime they come to pay and i look at they hair, i see it in a different light, and i can spot some minor mistakes.
But...i've never seen somebody else in a salon doing that and i feel that it will make me look weird, lost and like i have no clue about what i'm doing.

I always do this hunny if it works for you then do it dont worry...you are being thorough! As i walk to get my blowdry brushes across the salon i dont take my eyes off the cut and nine times out of ten i see something i want to change :)

Alexandra x

It's part of learning, don't worry. In theory it sounds so easy to cut in layers or a concave bob or even a straight line, but if it was that easy we wouldn't have colleges to teach us. The good thing is you are noticing your mistakes, keep asking for help, and make sure that every client knows you are training.
That way they will expect you to take a bit longer, ignore timings, and focus on doing the cuts perfect even if it takes 2 hours. Xoxo

When i first done my long layered cuts it was not always easy to master, usually i will over direct from a 90 - 180 degree angle by cutting sub-dividing sections vertically and always keeping that tension firm, then by cross checking it with my large comb from the oppisite way horizontally just nipping off the uneven edges that are left after the cut.

Like everyone has said just keep checking your cut with your comb, and your fingers .. keep checking in the mirror and turn your client around to have a look at how it lies.

One thing I would say is that if you are not happy with it I would NEVER just send a client out and hope they didn't notice. If they do notice they will ring the salon up, tell your boss then your boss will see it and have to rectify it etc and it will look like your trying to cover up for yourself if you know what I mean? I would just say to them even if they are busy that you are sorry to bother them but you need some help.

Good luck with your training xx

Hi Soosh
Buy yourself a good hairdressng DVD with the basic cuts and keep going over the parts you struggle with, the dvd will also teach you how to cross check your cuts. I have been cutting hair now for nearly 5yrs now and i still practise my basic cuts might sound daft to some folk but I got this advise from my lecturer it keeps you well pratised and gets your speed up until you can move on to more creative cuts.
Hope this helps
Caroline

Hi Caroline, i never thought about that. That's a brilliant idea! i will research for a good DVD! :)

Like everyone has said just keep checking your cut with your comb, and your fingers .. keep checking in the mirror and turn your client around to have a look at how it lies.

One thing I would say is that if you are not happy with it I would NEVER just send a client out and hope they didn't notice. If they do notice they will ring the salon up, tell your boss then your boss will see it and have to rectify it etc and it will look like your trying to cover up for yourself if you know what I mean? I would just say to them even if they are busy that you are sorry to bother them but you need some help.

Good luck with your training xx

Thank you, i think i've learnt my lesson. Next time I WILL make sure there aren't any obvious mistakes. You are right that they can ring and ask for a rectify and it will make me look even worse then if I would have called my boss to come over and disturb her.

Thank you all, i've understood now that i need to check and be more careful at all the aspects. xx

Thank you, i think i've learnt my lesson. Next time I WILL make sure there aren't any obvious mistakes. You are right that they can ring and ask for a rectify and it will make me look even worse then if I would have called my boss to come over and disturb her.

Thank you all, i've understood now that i need to check and be more careful at all the aspects. xx

Make sure their aren't ANY mistakes, not just obvious ones x

Latest posts

Back