Got told off today

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkthistle

Reaction score
Community wardens walked in today and told me off for not having a no smoking sign stuck to my door, bloody mad! I have a small discreet one in reception but nobody around has an A5 poster on their door these days! Everyone knows they can't smoke in a public place now surely?

I know I'll have to comply, but it does my head in when clearly they don't even notice half of the traders around don't have one either...I sometimes thing being on a Main road in a sitting duck, parking restrictions, passing reps and salesmen, fire officers, health and safety and now community wardens...aargh! Interestingly more so at this time of year, end of tax year...call me cynical but when the council needs money 😠

So the law is you need an A5 size poster on the door like this ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391469690.709247.jpg

You are not to allow smoking in the doorway outside, if you see some Ned or Junkie standing smoking at your doorway you must move them on or risk a £200 fine if someone reports them.

Had to put mine up by the front entrance that states, no smoking within 5 metres of the entrance. Since the sign went up no has lit up close to the doorway

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Dont forget your fire exit signs as well. They look for them too. Luckily everything for me is set up!!

First I've heard of that! We dont have a non smoking sign at all in the I work in.

We get all sorts of people coming in, firemen, police, parking people etc etc and nobody has said anything.

Yep- it's right, every place of work needs them since they brought in the new regulations about smoking a few years ago.

I have one but didn't realize it had to be in the window...good job mine is in the window

Who enforces this? When I first opened my salon I had a meeting in the salon with our local councils health and safety officer and she never mentioned a no smoking sign.

Who enforces this? When I first opened my salon I had a meeting in the salon with our local councils health and safety officer and she never mentioned a no smoking sign.

The council wardens.

I have one but didn't realize it had to be in the window...good job mine is in the window

Not the window, it has to be in the door. 😔

I walked up and down my street yesterday... Not 1 shop/salon has the signs up....why should I? 😡

Possibly because it's the law.

I have one in the window of my door, but I agree it is completely ridiculous as not smoking in places of work, shops etc is a well publicised nationwide law. There's lots of things that it's illegal to do in your salon, like commit murder, thank goodness we don't have to have signs up for all that as well!!

I have one in the window of my door, but I agree it is completely ridiculous as not smoking in places of work is a nationwide law. There's lots of things that it's illegal to do in your salon, like commit murder, thank goodness we don't have to have signs up for all that as well!!

I can just imagine :lol:

We had our local council health and safety check recently. I mentioned about no smoking signs and she told me not necessary anymore!

We had our local council health and safety check recently. I mentioned about no smoking signs and she told me not necessary anymore!

I've had all my checks done, really nice helpful lady and she didn't mention the smoking sign once. Perhaps different councils have different regulations.

Possibly because it's the law.

I know and I will...my point is the barber, hairdresser and 5 other shops on my street don't have one on display...all public places, all in full view of the council offices and the wardens walked past them to get to me. Hate unfairness 😄

These rules vary greatly from region to region, council to council so best to check with your local council to see what you need to do and get it in writing.:D

Latest posts

Back