GP letter/payment help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I know this has been discussed at some length on here and whilst reading one of the posts I saw one Geek had drawn up a letter for the client to take into the Doctors detailing the treatment so that the Dr could make a decision and then sign/stamp it.

I have several ladies with diabetes that I would love to be able to treat but the majority refuse to pay for a Doctors note and then go elsewhere and don't declare that they suffer with it. I am hoping this may eliminate the charges as it seemed to for this other Geek.

Said geek was going to send me a copy to have a look at but I didnt get anything and I cannot remember for the life of me which lovely Geek it was.

Does anybody else remember seeing this or do something similar that you would be willing to share with me?

Thankyou

Zoe

Most doctors will charge for it anyway. Its their time being used for something that's not medical nor beneficial to the person. Personally I don't blame them, a set of nails isn't going to improve their health, just like doctors charge for holiday injections as its not essential you go to these countries.
Xoxo

Also by signing such a document the doctor may put himself in the firing line in the event of a claim.

The insurer will pass it on to the therapist and the therapist in turn would pass it on to the doctor!

Lots of reasons as to why a doctor may well not bother to sign a letter of this nature.

The insurers need to change things and take some responsibility instead of trying to pass the buck.

Wouldn't it be great if the client themelves also had a degree of responsibility for themselves???

I hate this subject.

Last edited:
Most doctors will charge for it anyway. Its their time being used for something that's not medical nor beneficial to the person. Personally I don't blame them, a set of nails isn't going to improve their health, just like doctors charge for holiday injections as its not essential you go to these countries.
Xoxo

I disagree. From a holistic perspective, it is beneficial to the person if it improves their general well-being. If someone finds a treatment relaxing then its likely their stress levels will reduce, blood pressure will reduce, improved sleep, increased self confidence etc Improving well being in some illnesses is really important, particularly in palliative care.

GP's charge for the prescription for medication (re vaccinations), this is because GP's now hold their own budgets. In the same way, if you attend hospital & are prescribed medication, the costs of this are taken from your GP's budget (not the hospital's).

Last edited:
I disagree. From a holistic perspective, it is beneficial to the person if it improves their general well-being. If someone finds a treatment relaxing then its likely their stress levels will reduce, blood pressure will reduce, improved sleep, increased self confidence etc Improving well being in some illnesses is really important, particularly in palliative care.

GP's charge for the prescription for medication (re vaccinations), this is because GP's now hold their own budgets. In the same way, if you attend hospital & are prescribed medication, the costs of this are taken from your GP's budget.

But if it were for relaxation etc... The client would be referred to someone that the doctor chooses. My comment mainly referred to things such as nails, facials, pedicures etc... Which although many find relaxing aren't from a medical point of view helpful to the persons health.

As the post above says also, with the claim culture rising, should the doctor take responsibility should the person chosen by the client make mistakes, be in qualified etc...? Xoxo

My comment mainly referred to things such as nails, facials, pedicures etc... Which although many find relaxing aren't from a medical point of view helpful to the persons health.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying, anything that provides relaxation can increase the well being of a client. If you increase the well being (and this includes physical & mental health) of someone, then you are likely to reduce their cost to society. If you reduce the cost to society then the money can be reinvested elsewhere......

The problem is that people aren't viewed holistically and instead they are viewed as having a medical problem (or not). Similarly low level mental health problems very often aren't 'supported' until they become more severe. Healthcare in this country is reactive, not preventative. Anyway, that's for another thread.....lol

As a GP anything which is non NHS is chargeable at a fee set by the Dr or their practice for non NHS work. I've had requests to deem children "medically fit" to appear in screen tests for adverts, Gym notes, a letter to "queue hop" at an amusement park, the list goes on. I tend to have a set line of "I know of no reason why.. " for any that I do.

GP's charge for the prescription for medication (re vaccinations), this is because GP's now hold their own budgets. In the same way, if you attend hospital & are prescribed medication, the costs of this are taken from your GP's budget (not the hospital's).

I work at a GP's and re budgets this isn't true if you are seen at hospital it is the hospitals budget!

It would be considered private work to do/ sign a letter like this. It isn't a simple case of signing it as the GP will have to look through your electronic record and all of your old paper notes which can take quite some time.

And no it isn't a medical problem that requires their treatment, it is something the pt is choosing to have done so is charged for.

As for holiday vacs, you are choosing to go on holiday and it costs money for the vacs so you are charged for them, the NHS shouldn't cop the cost of someones holiday!!

I think everybody has a point on this thread but I didn't create it for it to turn into a debate.

We would all love the client to be able to take more responsibility for the treatments they wish to receive.

I do think its tough for the doctor to make that call.

It is seriously frustrating for everyone involved and I do wish insurance companies would find an alternative but its a hard call.

I just wanted a letter to hand so that they can show it to the doctor which details the treatment so that the doctor can make and educated decision and if they chosse not to sign it I have done all that I can for the client.

Thanks BaggyBear for hunting those down, I have heard good things from therapists that use them so we shall see.

Thankyou to everyone else that has replied too.

I also hate this subject.

Fingers crossed at some point in the future this is all made a whole lot easier :)

Latest posts

Back