Need some advice on a client with diabetes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimsay

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm in need of some advice!

I've done lots of searching and read many threads this afternoon on treating clients with diabetes. It's been really interesting and I've learnt a lot but I still can't find the answer to a query I have...

I have a diabetic lady who wants an eyebrow and eyelash tint with a brow shape. I've called the Guild who I'm insured with and they asked me what my training advised. At college anything related to Diabetes was always get GP referral, so the Guild told me that they say we have to refer back to our training and this is what I would have to do. BUT after all these threads I have been reading, I'm aware that lots of people say colleges are very over cautious when it comes to diabetes and that it's not always necessary to get a GP referral? Obviously I don't want to go against my insurer and understand what they are saying about going along with training advice, but I'm now wondering if my college was wrong to say that?

I told the lady i would look into it but said it could be quite likely i would need a doctors note, she said she wasn't willing to get a GP note as its expensive and she's had tinting done before with no problems!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't hesitate to do her treatment. I would follow all the regular precautions, and providing all well, I can't see a reason not to do it - except for your insurance company! If you do the treatment are you not insured? Surely different colleges teach different things, so you could effectively lie (if you were so inclined) and that's not a good starting point! There are several diabetic geeks on here - I have 2 insulin dependent diabetic siblings - and so often the argument is to do treatments. It can be hard enough having an illness or condition without having to jump hurdles every 5 minutes. Hope you can sort something!!!

There is more of a problem if they are controlling their diabetes with drugs as they are much more prone to problems and personally I would treat the woman with the usual precautions.

Having said that if you have contacted your insurers and they have said to follow your training and your training said a doctors note is necessary then you should really do that even if it is asking her to ask her doctor and then getting her to sign a note on her client card/consultation form to say she has asked and it's ok with her doctor.:)

Thanks For your input!! I will ultimately have to follow my insurance as obviously it will be void otherwise! Just frustrating as obviously I want to treat the client and can only imagine how infuriating it must be having to be told I can't without a doctors note! As if life isn't hard enough lol!

Latest posts

Back