Grey to tint to hi-lites...am I doing this right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DohaDresser

Reaction score
Dear Friends- HELP!!!!!
My client in the morning has a big concentration of grey, I'd say 50%, most of which is at the front hairline.
She has been having a 5.3 all over for a while now but has decided to go blonde so that the grey re-growth isn't as noticable.
So I started by doing a few bleach foils and tinting all hair left out of the foils with her usual 5.3. The bleach foils lifted, warm but she was happy.
My question is, how and when do I stop tinting the hair left out? Because at the momnentI am just tinting over he bleach that I put in previously.
Is she going to have to bite the bullet and just stop with the tint? What the hell do I do???
Please, when advising on colours,I am in Doha in the middle east, no L'oreal, Kolesten, Wella......its only Indola for me and probably less colour range than you have in the UK.

Dear Friends- HELP!!!!!
My client in the morning has a big concentration of grey, I'd say 50%, most of which is at the front hairline.
She has been having a 5.3 all over for a while now but has decided to go blonde so that the grey re-growth isn't as noticable.
So I started by doing a few bleach foils and tinting all hair left out of the foils with her usual 5.3. The bleach foils lifted, warm but she was happy.
My question is, how and when do I stop tinting the hair left out? Because at the momnentI am just tinting over he bleach that I put in previously.
Is she going to have to bite the bullet and just stop with the tint? What the hell do I do???
Please, when advising on colours,I am in Doha in the middle east, no L'oreal, Kolesten, Wella......its only Indola for me and probably less colour range than you have in the UK.

Hi , couldn't you just do some foiled bleached highlights and tinted foiled low lights gradually heading towards a lighter tint shade .... 6/0 is very good in indola then a 7 till it fades more , then you could do more highlights but she still may fancy a few caramels base in the 6 or seven foiled lowlights here and there

the reason it is going yellowy is that you are picking up pieces of brown tinted hair and bleaching it up, try to re pick up the bleached bits so you can just bleach the roots , near impossible I know but .... worth it if you can

You didn't say whether the hair is long or short ? :) minky

Hi Minky, thanks for the quick reply, her hair is just past the shoulders (trying to convince her to go shorter) and very course and curly. I would love to do loads of foils with the bleach and the 6.0, however she is still going to have the greys showing isn't she??
Am I over complicating things???????

Hi Minky, thanks for the quick reply, her hair is just past the shoulders (trying to convince her to go shorter) and very course and curly. I would love to do loads of foils with the bleach and the 6.0, however she is still going to have the greys showing isn't she??
Am I over complicating things???????

Hi Doh, lol :lol: she has to make her own choice ,
a full base tint with bleached highlights ...... and perhaps bringing the tint lighter so she is gradually heading towards blonde,

Grey hair ..... woven highlights and woven tinted lowlights
and you can still head towards blonde

Grey hair ......and woven highlights , but she will still have grey roots in her hair ,

until that fantastic pill comes out to get shut of the Greys ,
she must understand you are a hairdresser not a miracle worker, dont be so hard on yourself :hug: they are her Greys not yours .... and all you can do is give her your best advice and the the choices ,
do some test pieces for her and let her choose lol :lol: x minky

OMG you are a star!
Ok, I think I'm going to do foils bleach and low lights, and explain to her that she has to come off the darker tint at some stage.

One last question. At the mo, she is mostly 5.3 with some bleach hi-lites which are very warm and of course a few centimetres of grey.

If I do a mixture of low and hi lights, her roots are going to be the new lighter (6.0) and the mids and ends 5.3. Again am I over complicating??? Will it all just blend in????

So glad I found this site.

OMG you are a star!
Ok, I think I'm going to do foils bleach and low lights, and explain to her that she has to come off the darker tint at some stage.

One last question. At the mo, she is mostly 5.3 with some bleach hi-lites which are very warm and of course a few centimetres of grey.

If I do a mixture of low and hi lights, her roots are going to be the new lighter (6.0) and the mids and ends 5.3. Again am I over complicating??? Will it all just blend in????

So glad I found this site.

Hi Doh, as you will be doing it gradually perhaps cheat a bit and start off with lots of low lights in half of 6/0 and half of 5/3 so it wont be as noticeable....
and then gradually work toward the 6/0.

Unless she has it cut or layered or a slicy feathery cut to remove the darker bits
I should think that there will be a slight bit of difference ..... but that's inevitable and can't be helped ,
the tinted ends will fade more over time
and the highlights will help disguise it all and blend it all together ,
hth :) minky

you will have to use your own judgement , the hi lites t hat you put on the ends will stop it looking too blocky , dont put the 6 through to ends,maybe a few random bits break it all up and stop it looking flat

I'm just on my way to do this now, I'll let you know how I get on, thank you so much. x

Ok, I've done it....
I need some advice please,
So , I did lots of foils, then I painted the roots everywhere with half 5.0 and 6.3, my first question is this...
why when I'm painting the roots my foils move even though I locked them?
second question...
why the tint colour around the front hairline came out so damn dark? almost black! when the rest of the roots were a lovely light brown?
OMG whats wrong with me?????????????????????

are u fairly new to the trade? its a pretty basic skill to gently apply colour to the roots without moving ur foils. just be really gentle, paint the underside of the root area first then hold it flat to the foil and paint the upper side without rubbing on the foil. . .and also, did u paint the hairline first? hairline hair tends to be the least resistant and so i often apply to this area last. .

Perhaps start with the highlights first around the front then the tinted lowlights coming in behind ,
and as scotty dolly says do the hair line with the tinted foils last
and use the 6/0 for the front , the 6/0 in the indola isn't a flat colour so it will bring a little bit of golden warmth to it.... it also it fades real easy , so dont worry too much
also Indola is slippery so put the foils in fold them in half and then fold them gently again at the but avoid squashing them down too much to prevent any fold lines appearing
and then fold the sides in , this should stop them slipping down
:) minky

Latest posts

Back