Groupon - fighting for it's life

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think in the past they perhaps were a bit underhand with small businesses, although I personally feel that is down to the rep, not the company.

My rep sat down with me thoroughly and worked out the minimum price I could go away with to ensure all my costs were thoroughly covered. Then she asked how long I wanted before it expired and worked out from me, how many I wanted to do per week, and from there she multiplied that by the number of weeks to come out with a cap of 65. I could have said less, but I was more than happy that on my own I could cope with that amount.

I bought a groupon for laser hair- salon was terrible! But that was down to her, not groupon. I'm happy to say that now clients can give groupon feedback about their deal experience which gets fed back to the person offering the deal.

I bought vouchers for a food festival- absolutely fantastic and I spent more there because it cost me peanuts to get in! On Sunday I am going for a meal I bought on groupon. I have often wanted to try it out but the groupon is giving me the incentive to actually go. And if I like it, I will go back.

I have had spa days from daily delas sites and they have been lovely. I have had spa days at full price and they have been awful. It is not down to groupon, it is down to the individuals. And their feedback system will filter out these bad salons/ places.

Groupon did not take 50% from me. Although I know that is the standard. But if you think that you could pay £100's on an ad that no one responds too (have done plenty of times), and you can have a groupon and pay £0 if there is no response, and pay a percentage to guarantee that client through your door. Well, that makes sense to me. And it is down to the salon to earn that client's custom by encouraging them to come back.

However, some people don't do them sums and that is their own stupid fault. I am not doing a set of extensions for £2.50! No way! You make the deal work for you. And if you go in thinking that you are going to get money quick from your groupons, well then you are going in with the wrong attitude. It is marketing on mass. My company name is getting exposed to thousands of inboxes, and they now use target marketing too. I have tried all sorts but none have worked as effectively. And I have had people that have found me through groupon but then realised I was there so booked in for something completely separate, I don't have to pay for those clients.

I love getting deals in my inbox, so I will be sorry if they go under. But as they are working on some new things at the moment, I think they'll be here for a while yet even if they change the way they do things.

I don't pass judgement until I experience things for myself and have freeness of speech; unfortunately I think a lot on here are doing the opposite.

I think in the past they perhaps were a bit underhand with small businesses, although I personally feel that is down to the rep, not the company.

My rep sat down with me thoroughly and worked out the minimum price I could go away with to ensure all my costs were thoroughly covered. Then she asked how long I wanted before it expired and worked out from me, how many I wanted to do per week, and from there she multiplied that by the number of weeks to come out with a cap of 65. I could have said less, but I was more than happy that on my own I could cope with that amount.

I bought a groupon for laser hair- salon was terrible! But that was down to her, not groupon. I'm happy to say that now clients can give groupon feedback about their deal experience which gets fed back to the person offering the deal.

I bought vouchers for a food festival- absolutely fantastic and I spent more there because it cost me peanuts to get in! On Sunday I am going for a meal I bought on groupon. I have often wanted to try it out but the groupon is giving me the incentive to actually go. And if I like it, I will go back.

I have had spa days from daily delas sites and they have been lovely. I have had spa days at full price and they have been awful. It is not down to groupon, it is down to the individuals. And their feedback system will filter out these bad salons/ places.

Groupon did not take 50% from me. Although I know that is the standard. But if you think that you could pay £100's on an ad that no one responds too (have done plenty of times), and you can have a groupon and pay £0 if there is no response, and pay a percentage to guarantee that client through your door. Well, that makes sense to me. And it is down to the salon to earn that client's custom by encouraging them to come back.

However, some people don't do them sums and that is their own stupid fault. I am not doing a set of extensions for £2.50! No way! You make the deal work for you. And if you go in thinking that you are going to get money quick from your groupons, well then you are going in with the wrong attitude. It is marketing on mass. My company name is getting exposed to thousands of inboxes, and they now use target marketing too. I have tried all sorts but none have worked as effectively. And I have had people that have found me through groupon but then realised I was there so booked in for something completely separate, I don't have to pay for those clients.

I love getting deals in my inbox, so I will be sorry if they go under. But as they are working on some new things at the moment, I think they'll be here for a while yet even if they change the way they do things.

I don't pass judgement until I experience things for myself and have freeness of speech; unfortunately I think a lot on here are doing the opposite.

How refreshing, I couldn't argue with you if I tried here (lol) loads of valid points and yes it was the salons fault my experience was so awful and not groupons. Like you say the rep made all the difference.

Well done you for making it make sense ;) and for sound well from it xx

I also did a groupon deal and it was an enjoyable experience.

It is a good way to create awareness of your business and let's face it, if you set your prices properly, work out what your cost are and make sure they are covered, you are essentially getting free nationwide advertising that would normally cost you thousands.

Horses for courses

A friend of mine did a Groupon deal for Hydro Colon Therapy........one customer called up the day before her appointment to cancel as she didn't realise at the time of purchasing what was actually involved?!? the mind boggles lol

Groupon wanted me to offer full set of lashes for £20. I probably would get only £12 from it.. 1.5 hour work.. yeah
They didn't want to negotiate higher price.
Is that not crazy?

Groupon wanted me to offer full set of lashes for £20. I probably would get only £12 from it.. 1.5 hour work.. yeah
They didn't want to negotiate higher price.
Is that not crazy?

I would not do lashes on a groupon deal it is such a long procedure.

At £20 you'd only actually receive £8 which is ridiculous for lashes based on groupons stand 50/50 plus vat.

A friend of mine did a Groupon deal for Hydro Colon Therapy........one customer called up the day before her appointment to cancel as she didn't realise at the time of purchasing what was actually involved?!? the mind boggles lol

Better cancelling the day before than getting there and realising as the treatment is about to begin :scared:

GOOD!!!!
I am trying to get my cash back from Groupon after a Spa that I booked my Sis in as a birthday treat ran off with my all my money (and others)!! :mad:

Group on actually told me to "up" my prices on my website so I could do it at X price.lol they bend the rules when it suits them...

GOOD!!!!
I am trying to get my cash back from Groupon after a Spa that I booked my Sis in as a birthday treat ran off with my all my money (and others)!! :mad:

Until you handover the voucher and they register it Groupon have all the money.

Mat

Until you handover the voucher and they register it Groupon have all the money.

Mat

Unless you tell them the details over the phone. As a merchant, you can manually enter the details on te voucher. You don't need the physical voucher to claim the money

Latest posts

Back