Gummy Nail Brush

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjodylee

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Im new to this site.. I just found it a few days ago and I love it so much!!
Im wrapt to have access to all this knowledge so thanks everyone..

I have a problem with my nail brush that is "gummy".
When I wipe my wet brush on the brush wipe paper it is yellow.
The brush wipe paper is only white.
I have read on some sites that this is caused by dipping the brush to
far into the liquid and the liquid gets up into the ferrule.
Some sites though reccommend dipping your brush all the way into the
liquid up to the ferrule which is what I did and now I have this brush that
I can no longer use..
I have done this to more than one brush and I am getting frustrated..:irked:
Is the liquid contaminated now? Do I need to throw the liquid and the
brush out?
Also how far up the brush should I be dipping in the liquid to prevent this?
When I store my brush I have it laying flat.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.. :)

Jody

Hi

There are loads of threads on this - do a search and have a read.

Sounds like your brush is contaminated. I always fully immerse by brush and have not had this problem.

Hope you find the cause x

PS I would probably dispose of your liquid if it has been used with the contaminated brush just be on the safe side x

Hi

There are loads of threads on this - do a search and have a read.

Sounds like your brush is contaminated. I always fully immerse by brush and have not had this problem.

Hope you find the cause x

PS I would probably dispose of your liquid if it has been used with the contaminated brush just be on the safe side x

I don't see why you should throw away your liquid monomer just becasue your brush is contaminated. Why? Not unless you are using it straight out of the 'master' bottle (not a done thing for obvious reasons of contamination).

Look .. welcome to the site by the way :hug: ... your brush has become contaminated .. not because you are dipping it in up to the ferrule, but probabaly because you are not using it enough and it is drying out in between uses, OR because you are leaving the brush too wet when you store it away.

Finish working .. rinse your brush in your monomer (assuming it is still clean ) ... then press the brush between a clean paper towel or a clean gause pad pressing several times to remove most of the monomer from the bristles, and store overnight until the next day's use. Brushes go on for months and months this way with no yellowing. It seems they yellow when allowed to get completely dried out and when not used for some time. You need a new brush. Chances are you will not be able to clean it.

Enjoy Salongeek. I love Melbourne .. my husband was born there and I've been many times. x

Another thought is how are you storing your brush when not in use? If you store it handle down with the bristles up could that possibly be causing contamination also? I stored my first, wooden handled brush like this and it caused me terrible problems until i found this site and of course my CND brush coffin :D xx

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Gigi, you are correct in saying the brush is drying out in between uses!
Omg I have contaminated so very many brushes and now I know how to
stop this problem. Thank you so much, to say I was getting frustrated is an understatement. I had asked a few professionals here in Melbourne but no one could help me.
I didnt know what I was doing wrong and as I was only doing nails part time I was not using the brush everyday.
I am about to start a part time job at a salon only one day a week.
Should I be taking the brush home and immerse it in liquid everyday to keep it from drying out?
How often should I do this to prevent from contaminating another brush?

Also is it better to use a dappen dish or menda pump? I am using a dappen dish but I like the menda pumps.. With the dappen dish I seem to get acrylic in the bottom of the dish but the menda pumps as far as Im aware dont allow the liquid back into the bottle therefore stopping this? Is that correct?

Thank you again..
Ps Melbourne is a wonderful city isnt it? If you come for a visit anytime soon, let me know! I would love to pay you for an afternoon of training!
Jody

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Gigi, you are correct in saying the brush is drying out in between uses!
Omg I have contaminated so very many brushes and now I know how to
stop this problem. Thank you so much, to say I was getting frustrated is an understatement. I had asked a few professionals here in Melbourne but no one could help me.
I didnt know what I was doing wrong and as I was only doing nails part time I was not using the brush everyday.
I am about to start a part time job at a salon only one day a week.
Should I be taking the brush home and immerse it in liquid everyday to keep it from drying out?
How often should I do this to prevent from contaminating another brush?

Also is it better to use a dappen dish or menda pump? I am using a dappen dish but I like the menda pumps.. With the dappen dish I seem to get acrylic in the bottom of the dish but the menda pumps as far as Im aware dont allow the liquid back into the bottle therefore stopping this? Is that correct?

Thank you again..
Ps Melbourne is a wonderful city isnt it? If you come for a visit anytime soon, let me know! I would love to pay you for an afternoon of training!
Jody

Just clean and treat the brush as I describe and you can use it every few days with no problems but I would keep it in some sort of a case in between uses. No need to soak it in monomer every day or overnight at all.

I personally do not like Menda pumps for monomer but neither do I use a dappen dish as I find them too small for my brushes.

You can get all kinds of cute glass dishes for your monomer (especially in Oz where you have so much more choice than we do). Menda pumps can get very gunky and contaminated around the rim and even if they say no liquid goes back into the bottle, in my experience it does. Menda pumps for monomer also create much more vapour in the air than using a dish with a lid.

I use glass tea light holders .. they are perfect .. usually have enough weight in the base to not move around and they look nice. I have a metal lid that covers the opening when I am not using it. Easy to clean too.

Probably will be in Oz within the next year as we have a son in Sydney and Simons sister lives in Carleton Village in Melbourne. Lovely long straight walk right into town from there!! lol Would love to meet you. x

Last edited:
Just clean and treat the brush as I describe and you can use it every few days with no problems but I would keep it in some sort of a case in between uses. No need to soak it in monomer every day or overnight at all.

I personally do not like Menda pumps for monomer but neither do I use a dappen dish as I find them too small for my brushes.

You can get all kinds of cute glass dishes for your monomer (especially in Oz where you have so much more choice than we do). Menda pumps can get very gunky and contaminated around the rim and even if they say no liquid goes back into the bottle, in my experience it does. Menda pumps for monomer also create much more vapour in the air than using a dish with a lid.

I use glass tea light holders .. they are perfect .. usually have enough weight in the base to not move around and they look nice. I have a metal lid that covers the opening when I am not using it.

Probably will be in Oz within the next year as we have a son in Sydney and Simons sister lives in Carleton Village in Melbourne. Lovely long straight walk right into town from there!! lol Would love to meet you. x

Great tip geeg! I too find Dappen dishes to be too small. I'll def be on the look out for some like you described. Thanks! :)

Thanks Gigi for your advice,
I will definately get a case for my brush and wet it every few days.
I find dappen dishes to small also and they move around to easily thats why I thought of the menda but will look around for a glass dish with a lid..

My email address is [email protected]
Keep it and let me know when you'll be over in Melbourne ..

Jody

Last edited:
Aww Geeg - come to Norfolk it is the highlight of holidays honest ;)

I went to a little shop over here and got tealight holders that are solid crystal shaped like a cut diamond - gorgeous and discount shop price of about £3 each woop bargain :D

Aww Geeg - come to Norfolk it is the highlight of holidays honest ;)

I went to a little shop over here and got tealight holders that are solid crystal shaped like a cut diamond - gorgeous and discount shop price of about £3 each woop bargain :D

I would love to. Get organising something! lol

Latest posts

Back