had an off day today

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariaaland

Reaction score
godnight everyone, hope you are all good. well just want to say i had an off day today. i had a client that i had to buff off her gels and reapply a new set but i was feeling a bit off before i even started but what made it even worse was when she said she had to leave at 12.00 ( i started her nails at 10:40am). bearing in mind i had to buff off the nails, make a prothesis at her freedge (as her nails were very short and she did not want sculpts but wanted some deep smile tips i had), then fit tips, apply acrylic, buff shape then apply gel to strengthen the entire nail. that could not possible be done in 1hr 30 mins. at least i know i could not. and on top of that she said she had menstrual discomfort and felt very sleepy as she had gone to bed very late the night before, plus she had to go home to pick up her daughter to take her to the hairdresser to get her hair done, plus she herself had to go get her hair done and get back to her office...as she was going away for the weekend and had stuff to finish up etc. etc. etc.

so i was under pressure and unfortunatel my four year old who is at home on holidays decided to act up. so i was totally off!!!. i ended up rushing to do her set in a reasonable time still took me 2 and 1/2 hrs. i never felt satisfied with my work so i did not accept payment. she insisted but i refused. i felt that it would be in my best interest not to accept her money then to have her call me to complain that nails had broken off or lifted or stuff like that. so i told her if after a week everything was still intact then she could pay me then.

i know some of you might disagree with what i did, but it is more important for me to do a great set of nails and have a satisfied client than to do a "so-so" set and collect money for that.

all that being said... my question is this... how many of you have had "off "days and how did you cope with it. i still feel bad within myself, thinking that i could have done this instead of doing that to make the nails better .. or taken some shortcut, but at the time i was just trying hard to do what i could to get her finished .. i dont know i am in a total blue funk:cry:

i dont have a baby sitter and my family lives far from me so i had no one to help me with the kids. my husband is away now too. i was just hoping that she would have behaved but that was wishful thinking:irked: and just to let you know my salon is closed off from the rest of the house but she just kept coming round to my side and just would not go back. luckily the lady loves kids but it threw me off as i am tyring to separate my home from salon and i dont want the kids to bother my clients no matter how much they the clients say its okay.

ahhhh hun :hug: :hug: :hug:
i know how you feel,theres nothing worse than whenyou or your client is in a rush,the pressure on you is horrible,ive been in that situation too.
and i know all about kids putting you off...
i did two sets one after the other a few weeks ago,it took me 4 and a half hours altogether ,and the poor girls were knackered as they had come to me straight from finishing work,
my eldest daughter sat in the kitchen with us and talked and talked for the whole 4hrs30mins....she was all hyperactive and messing about,i could tell the girls were getting a little p!ssed off ...of course they never said anthing,and they tolerated my daughter really well ...
i just wanted to scream at her and have the ground swallow me up ,but i couldnt even really tell her off ,as that woluld have been embarrassing too,
its a nightmare sometimes isnt it ,but the thing about this job im finding,is you never know whats comming next...
you might have a crappy day ,but then and again you could have the best day ever,
mad isnt it
big hugs to you,get a good nights sleep and move on...
oh and i undersatnd the payment thing too
,i repaired a clients nail today and pushed back her cuticles,and took the length down on them all for her,also infilled 2 nails.... ...as she had text me a few days ago to do it ,and i told her i would go round that day ...and i forgot all about it :o
so i only charged her a fiver as a way of an appology,she gave my kids some money for sweets too bless her,as she said she didnt want me to feel guilty,but i did and that was the best way i could think of to show it...
sometimes we do do these things,in my oppinion re today ,i was glad she still came back to me when i forgot about her,she had a whole jagged corner missing of her thumb for 3 days and hadnt even picked at it!!!!
that deserves praise in my book :lol:

thanks emma, i knew i could count on you for a positive feedback. i appreciate it. i am glad also that you similar issue as i do with kids messing about when you are trying to work. i thought i was alone where that was concerned. i feel better though as my friend saw the clients nail i did today and phoned me and said they were not as bad as i had made them out to be. she said that as a matter of fact they looked great and the client mentioned to her that she really loved them. so i guess i was stressing over nothing!!
i felt so relieved, but glad.

you know how it is when you think your work is terrible yet other people like it? well this was one of those days.

thanks and again and catch you on the later:hug:

It is so difficult when you have children I have three and even though I go to a salon to work it is so hard as you are always worrying if they are ok or tied the baby sitter up, as for having bad days we all have them and sometimes you feel your nails where terrible they return for there maintence you look at them and think my god they where not that bad at all!... but sometimes with me its reverse I think I have done a good set and when they return they only have a few left on, just think only another six weeks of the summer holidays left!!!!!

aaww i know what you mean, i done a set of nails from my home and i have two girls who constantly played up, when the client left they were perfect little angels i was furious :mad: :rolleyes: :lol:
as for down days had one yesterday, i went in to the salon, one of my clients had came in one my day off and told the other lady she didnt want me to do her nails anymore....:cry: and i felt a little sick aswell. chin up hun you will be fine, we all have days like this..but im sure you have more happy days than anything right? :) :hug:

thanks nikasi, yes you are right i do have my good days.. (when the kids are at school:) ) but seriously, i rarely have off days, but yesterday i was totally out of sync feeling off even before i started and so it just got worse, maybe i should have cancelled the appointment.. ah well such is life. thanks for the support

niksaki said:
aaww i know what you mean, i done a set of nails from my home and i have two girls who constantly played up, when the client left they were perfect little angels i was furious :mad: :rolleyes: :lol:
as for down days had one yesterday, i went in to the salon, one of my clients had came in one my day off and told the other lady she didnt want me to do her nails anymore....:cry: and i felt a little sick aswell. chin up hun you will be fine, we all have days like this..but im sure you have more happy days than anything right? :) :hug:

i forgot to ask... why didnt the client want you to do her nails anymore?

Awwwwwwwwwww sweetie:hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm sorry your day was so bad.
but really, it was NOT your fault that your work was not up to par. She put undue pressue on you expecting a complete miracle within a limited amount of time. Let's face it, removing enhancements PROPERLY is time consuming. Then doing a set as she wanted you to do, again, time consuming. She was not leaving you enough time.
IF I understood the situation correctly, then it would be her fault and not your own if your work was not up to par as she was expecting a TONNE during a short time period.
In future, if you feel bad, give a discount, not a freebie.
You worked HARD!!! You deserve payment for that hard work.

I hear ya re: kids.. sort of. I'm lucky enough to have hubby to watch kids in the evenings. On the two only occasions I tried during the day, it was an UTTER DISASTER. There's NO way I could do nails with kids around. It just doesn't work.
My hubby does work 6 out of 7 days a week though.. so having him only the one day.... and usually that's for grocery shopping and such (since I don't drive) ... doesn't get us far.
And even in the evenings when he's watching the kids, .. well.. let's face it, dads are dads and mums are mums for a REASON.
Mother nature gave us specific roles that we're best suited for..
so I do get interuptions occasionally, or sit there frustrated doing someone's nails when I hear my lil one howling cause Dadda doesn't undertand what she wants or is impatient with her.

My mum hardly EVER bother's with my children while she drives 6hrs to visit my neice and nephew regularly. I have no other family either.

My heart goes out to you, its NOT easy.

Take heart, it does get easier.. or at least, that's what they tell me.
chin up.
You're a good technician and on your way to being a great one.

GIANT :hug: TO YOU.

ariaaland said:
i forgot to ask... why didnt the client want you to do her nails anymore?

OoOoh well....i have been recently thinking of giving up on acrylic, my gel has taken off and if excellent my acrylic on the other hand well....:rolleyes: im really struggling with it, anyway the lady came in and some of zone 3 had lifted and chipped..my fault i know but still got me down, she got the owner of the salon to fix them and booked in with her....and there for cancelled her next appointment with me..:cry:

VHunter said:
IF I understood the situation correctly, then it would be her fault and not your own if your work was not up to par as she was expecting a TONNE during a short time period.

I have to agree with this....an impossible task in that amount of time..big hugs

Sending you big hugs!!!!!!! I can really relate!!:hug::hug:

I just know when Im not up to it cos my work really suffers...I kind of just go home and think "when she calls me back in a week with problems I wont charge her and tell her I was having a bad day"
Im having problems with the heat at the mo and I just cant cope with it
I couldnt do a make-up the way the client wanted and I was just melting to the point I wanted to say 'look Im just going to go home now'
just look forward to the next day to forget about it!

i had a major off day a few weeks back it was on a long standing client and it was for a french backfill...and it went crap, couldnt get my smile the white looked shocking i was so disapointed that i worried all week, it really knocked me.....then i thought how often does this happen and have i ever given this client an awful set of nails before and the answer was no......by the time she came back the nails werent as bad as i had thought...so maybe our off days are not so much doing a rubbish service but our off days maybe that we are more critical and hard to please that day

Hugs to you - I have an off day nearly everyday, lol!

Seriously, try not to dwell on it too much, try really hard to put it in the past and learn from the experience. xx

niksaki said:
OoOoh well....i have been recently thinking of giving up on acrylic, my gel has taken off and if excellent my acrylic on the other hand well....:rolleyes: im really struggling with it, anyway the lady came in and some of zone 3 had lifted and chipped..my fault i know but still got me down, she got the owner of the salon to fix them and booked in with her....and there for cancelled her next appointment with me..:cry:

ouch!! that was kinda of tactless, it would have been better for her to come to you and let you see first then allow you to offer to fix them instead of going to the salon owner for a fix. that was not nice regardless.:irked: well never mind you say you prefer gels anyway so go all the way!!!

VHunter said:
Awwwwwwwwwww sweetie:hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm sorry your day was so bad.
but really, it was NOT your fault that your work was not up to par. She put undue pressue on you expecting a complete miracle within a limited amount of time. Let's face it, removing enhancements PROPERLY is time consuming. Then doing a set as she wanted you to do, again, time consuming. She was not leaving you enough time.

I hear ya re: kids.. sort of. I'm lucky enough to have hubby to watch kids in the evenings. On the two only occasions I tried during the day, it was an UTTER DISASTER. There's NO way I could do nails with kids around. It just doesn't work.
My hubby does work 6 out of 7 days a week though.. so having him only the one day.... and usually that's for grocery shopping and such (since I don't drive) ... doesn't get us far.
And even in the evenings when he's watching the kids, .. well.. let's face it, dads are dads and mums are mums for a REASON.
Mother nature gave us specific roles that we're best suited for..
so I do get interuptions occasionally, or sit there frustrated doing someone's nails when I hear my lil one howling cause Dadda doesn't undertand what she wants or is impatient with her.

My mum hardly EVER bother's with my children while she drives 6hrs to visit my neice and nephew regularly. I have no other family either.

My heart goes out to you, its NOT easy.

Take heart, it does get easier.. or at least, that's what they tell me.
chin up.
You're a good technician and on your way to being a great one.

GIANT :hug: TO YOU.

ooh victoria you are so sweet:hug: thank you for understanding excatly what i am going through unfortunately for me, half the time my hubby is away. and when my clients come its usually in the daytime when he is away at work or "away"... some weekends when he is here though he usually kinda "helps" with them if you know what i mean.. you know how men are.. when they try to "help", but thanks for your constant support. i really appreciate it from you and all the other ladies on this forum. you are a great group:hug: ooh talk about working hard, i sweated literally trying to get her done in a reasonable time. but maybe i should have asked for payment ah well.. next time

ariaaland said:
ouch!! that was kinda of tactless, it would have been better for her to come to you and let you see first then allow you to offer to fix them instead of going to the salon owner for a fix. that was not nice regardless.:irked: well never mind you say you prefer gels anyway so go all the way!!!

yes..thats what i thought but never mind, she is probably one client i could actually do without..:lol:

Latest posts

Back