hair broken !!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
hi all, i have just been to trim an older ladies hair that i have permed twice the first time it didnt take so well at the nape as she has very resistant hair here so the second time i changed perm and used wella soft and lasting for resistant ( or wella perform i camt remember which) i post damped and lifted the rubbers from the rod with another rod ( if this makes sence ) they wernt wound to tight, but when i cut it this morn its got alot of breaks, in 23 years of hairdressing i have never experianced this, now i, worried when it comes to perming her again, any advice, and any ideas what i can do to stop any more breaking ???:eek:

Hi Lilly

Is the beakage in any one particular area,or is it random ?

If you have wound with water, and applied the perm solution after winding, and made sure the rubbers on the perm rods were not touching the scalp, and applied somethng to prevent the rubber chaffing i.e: plastic hair pins,cocktail sticks, etc, then you have done your job correct imo.

Did you make sure the solution was not directly squirted on her scalp?
Was the correct development time adhered to?
Perm solution correct strength?
Was the tension ok?
Were the sections too wide?
Has it been rinsed for long enough.
Neutraliser - if it was wella perform it needs mixing 50/50 with warm water - did you do this? because its very concentrated.

Is the client on medication,that would make her hair weaker than normal?

Try winding with pre-perm lotion on next time, and wind slightly looser.

Has she always had resistant hair.? Is it resistant in any one particular place, or all over.
If its mainly at the back, wind the back first with perm solution, and wind the rest with water and pre-perm lotion, then apply the perm to the rest when winding is complete.
You could try winding in a different pattern, sometimes this may help.

If you have done all the above correct,which it sounds to me like you have, then I would put it down to her health.

Hope this helps hun. You have without doubt checked everything is right, but sometimes these things do happen.
I cant think of anything else.

Maybe another hair geek may pick up on something that I have missed.

Dont worry about it Lilly. It prob wasn't your fault.

Good luck
Elaine xxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug:

yes it was perform as i remember the 50/50, the breaks are first rod front section, first rod nape section, 1 at the temple and the hair looks damaged around the crown ( where the rubber would be ) i'm really worried that this may break although it hasnt at yet, i'm flipping gutted all these years in the business and this happens!!! :eek:

Lilly could it be where the cotton wool has absorbed the perm solution and it was sitting in one place? At the front back, and temples is where the cotton wool would sit. Maybe , just maybe it may bethis. I/m only summising, so please forgive me If I am wrong here.

Don't feel gutted, these things do happen from time to time. Just put it down to experience.
Is the client happy? There is nothing you can do at this stage.
Stop fretting.

Take care

Elaine xxxxxxxxx:hug:

do you know what, i'm sure i removed the cotton wool :eek: maybe its that, she's a typical wash and go old gal so as long as its out of her eyes she's not bothered ! i am more worried about anymore breaking ??? dont want her to end up looking like fryer tuck !

have you checked with her to see if she is taking any new medication or for anything else that could have actually affected her hair structure and thats why its different?
It could just be down to slight over processing. was this a re perm?

no not a re perm nor overprocessing, i think the perm was just too strong for her

I know this will sound like I am coming from outer space, but it could be that your perm slightly over processed, not because you didn't check it and begin rinsing at the appropriate time, but because you did rinse, most likely with very warm water.

Trot out the old perm chemistry chapter and bear with me......
Ammonium Thioglycolate or one of its derivatives is the most common ingredient in perm solution (reduction lotion, waving lotion, what ever your language gives it, all the same) breaks down the disulfide or S-S bonds to shift them to the new, closer location that they were stretched to by wrapping the hair around the tool.

Chemical reactions usually process in one of two ways, they give off heat (energy) or they require heat (energy) to process. When you take your client over to the basin to rinse her, you generally lean her back and get her comfy, check the temperature of the water and immediately begin rinsing. We all know when the perm is done you need to rinse ASAP. Well that's the kicker-

Once you start rinsing, you've started another chemical reaction, you've added heat- (your water was warm I hope) and this slight change would be equivalent to letting your client process for another 3-5 minutes. That doesn't sound like much, but on a client who is resistant and we have taken the perm solution to the limit any way, it may be just enough to put them past where we wanted and break or damage any potentially weak areas of the hair, usually around the hair line, nape and at the turns of the head where there is more pressure because you are using a rectangular shaped tool. (even though it is cylindrical, it's generally not curved and doesn't accommodate a head which is round or curved)

Elevating bands, replacing cotton wool and checking these areas helps, but the easiest method to help prevent takes only a few seconds and may make the difference. Here it is- Blot quickly with a paper or disposable towel quickly to remove any excess solution before rinsing. A quick once over is enough to do it, hit the key areas, turns of the head, hair line and nape, then lean back and rinse as usual.

Another little trick, air neutralising. Before actually applying your neutraliser or rebonding lotion let you client "air dry" for 5-10 minutes then blot any excess liquid that has come to the surface out. The more water you can get out, the better your rebonding lotion (neutraliser) can work.

These tips are not meant to replace any direction from your manufacturer, but to enhance the procedures and help ensure a successful perm service. They have been thouroughly researched and tested by John Halal, a well known American Cosmetology Instructor and chemist. If you are really interested in the chemistry and science of hair, John's book Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified is availble on Amazon through Milady, Thompson Learning. I'm not trying to make a sales pitch, but he's the hair messer equivalent to Doug Schoon, great guy with loads of applicable knowledge and a passion for promoting our industry.

hi, i have followed all the necessary, i used correct processing time, water temp etc, i,m hoping this is a one off prob as like i said i have been hairdressing for many many years and have never experianced breaking before, i dont know of anything thay help the reconstruction of the hair do you ?

what an excellent piece of information jeni, thankyou! i will most definately be making a purchase of johns book.
thanks

hi, i have followed all the necessary, i used correct processing time, water temp etc, i,m hoping this is a one off prob as like i said i have been hairdressing for many many years and have never experianced breaking before, i dont know of anything thay help the reconstruction of the hair do you ?
not yet, though there are some products that are getting close, Keratase I believe (US brand is Powderdose) You are right it probably is a 1 time thing, hopefully never to happen again. It may be a change in diet or medications.

The nice thing is hair usually grows back and if you are upfront about what is going on and let the client know you are trying to find answers for her the client is usually pretty understanding. You may end up showing her some styling alternatives or styling her yourself for a short time (a discounted or reduced rate usually makes this more of an option if the client is on a fixed income) until the hair grows back.

Latest posts

Back