Hair competition: too much advice can be harmful?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrawberryAnna

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for a wee rant but feel so upset and really need your advice... So, on Monday I have a bridal hair competition and I spent months and months getting ready. I've done my style a million and one time and today was supposed to be my last trial before the Big Day. So i Got my model in today and one of my lecturers (I'm studying level 3 at college) decided it was a good idea to modify ThE WAY I style it.... Erm needless to say I was a bit miffed that she thought now was the right time to try something new?! Prior to today I had my timing perfected to the second, and now she wants to change the way I do it? I got very frustrated, tried how she wanted me to do it and it just didn't work, it wasn't "me" anymore and just felt wrong... When I was close to tears she said I should just go with what I planned but I was so upset by that point that I couldn't even do what I previously did so well, I'm absolutely gutted, it was obviously supposed to be my last trial and I feel like I'm miserably failed... Do u guys think I should just go with my gut feeling and maybe try and get my model in for another go or should I just leave it and hope for the best result on the day? Hairdressing is my life and I sacrificed many things to be where I am now so feel totally deflated and angry with myself hence the question - too much advice can be no good? Judge's opinion on the day will be very subjective anyway - is it worth pleasing each and every lecturer or go with my own way of doing the style?
Spent most of the evening in tears and really not sure what to do now :(

Sorry for the essay, any advice would be very appreciated

Anna
Xxx

Hey guys, sorry for a wee rant but feel so upset and really need your advice... So, on Monday I have a bridal hair competition and I spent months and months getting ready. I've done my style a million and one time and today was supposed to be my last trial before the Big Day. So i Got my model in today and one of my lecturers (I'm studying level 3 at college) decided it was a good idea to modify ThE WAY I style it.... Erm needless to say I was a bit miffed that she thought now was the right time to try something new?! Prior to today I had my timing perfected to the second, and now she wants to change the way I do it? I got very frustrated, tried how she wanted me to do it and it just didn't work, it wasn't "me" anymore and just felt wrong... When I was close to tears she said I should just go with what I planned but I was so upset by that point that I couldn't even do what I previously did so well, I'm absolutely gutted, it was obviously supposed to be my last trial and I feel like I'm miserably failed... Do u guys think I should just go with my gut feeling and maybe try and get my model in for another go or should I just leave it and hope for the best result on the day? Hairdressing is my life and I sacrificed many things to be where I am now so feel totally deflated and angry with myself hence the question - too much advice can be no good? Judge's opinion on the day will be very subjective anyway - is it worth pleasing each and every lecturer or go with my own way of doing the style?

Anna
Xxx

Hi Anna

I would go with YOUR original idea, as you said you had the timing down an was happy until someone else got involved, I hope it goes well for you an good luck but if it doesn't at least you know you did what you wanted an can use the experience as a learning curve :)

Anna
Xxx

Your tutor is an interfering little b! A competition look is you expressing yourself and showing off YOUR skills, what she has done is show you how to do something that expresses her.
Ignore everything she has told you about this style and do what you originally wanted.
Her place, in a competition scenario, is to guide you and advise on the best way to let your design last, not do it for you to copy. I'm almost sure that would be against the rules and is definitely not in the spirit of the competition.

My tutor suggested I curled some of the hair when I entered the competitions, I declined and continued with it spiked with hairspray and flat irons.
I didn't win, but I'm glad in a way. I loved the style, so did my model, it was exactly what I wanted it to be, and it showed off my personality (glittery and shiny but sharp and hard). And that what mattered most to me.

Chin up and do what you feel is best. Xoxo

Thanks guys, it's great to know that someone else thinks the same as I do, it's about me and my style. I know I'm quirky and not your average style kinda girl but that's the whole point! Xxx

Thanks guys, it's great to know that someone else thinks the same as I do, it's about me and my style. I know I'm quirky and not your average style kinda girl but that's the whole point! Xxx

Feeling any better?
Have you been to the competitions before to watch or enter?

Please check what the requirements are too, I didn't know until the day that there had to be hair added, be it a hair piece, or loose hair. If I hadn't had my hair braided with extensions the week Vere I wouldn't have ha anything to use and would have been disallowed. I just took out one braid and wrapped it around the bobble as they never stated where it had to be used.
But please ask for the rules so you can make sure you are eligible without any last minute frights xoxo

Feeling any better?
Have you been to the competitions before to watch or enter?

Please check what the requirements are too, I didn't know until the day that there had to be hair added, be it a hair piece, or loose hair. If I hadn't had my hair braided with extensions the week Vere I wouldn't have ha anything to use and would have been disallowed. I just took out one braid and wrapped it around the bobble as they never stated where it had to be used.
But please ask for the rules so you can make sure you are eligible without any last minute frights xoxo

Feeling a wee bit better, thank you, thought I was going of my nut with all the stress! It's my first competition, categories I'm entering are bridal (classic or contemporary) and fantasy. Added hair and ornamentations can be added if desired but should be less than 25% of the style. Both of my styles have been checked by lecturers before and there were no issues whatsoever besides I've done the bridal one quite a few times now on my actual brides - durability of the style guaranteed! :) my bridal style has vintage twist to it as I ADORE all things vintage + rockabilly! Xxx

Feeling a wee bit better, thank you, thought I was going of my nut with all the stress! It's my first competition, categories I'm entering are bridal (classic or contemporary) and fantasy. Added hair and ornamentations can be added if desired but should be less than 25% of the style. Both of my styles have been checked by lecturers before and there were no issues whatsoever besides I've done the bridal one quite a few times now on my actual brides - durability of the style guaranteed! :) my bridal style has vintage twist to it as I ADORE all things vintage + rockabilly! Xxx

Sounds great. I entered bridal and aventguarde, same style for both.
I still have the ornament somewhere I used although its tarnished now as can be expected after 7 years.

I can see from your last post you are meant to do the style you designed, you sound like you have so much passion for it. You MUST tell us how you get on with the competitions. If it was passion your in the running for sure (I haven't seen the style so can't comment on the actual up doo) xoxo

Sounds great. I entered bridal and aventguarde, same style for both.
I still have the ornament somewhere I used although its tarnished now as can be expected after 7 years.

I can see from your last post you are meant to do the style you designed, you sound like you have so much passion for it. You MUST tell us how you get on with the competitions. If it was passion your in the running for sure (I haven't seen the style so can't comment on the actual up doo) xoxo

I will definitely let you know how I get on :) fantasy one is a Siren (think Ace Age 4!)- blonde hair, with a ship on top of her head with hair ringlets wrapping round it, looks very unusual but then I am an oddball! Haha, and bridal - as I said- very contemporary, very vintage on jet black hair with pin curls at the front and the works lol. Will Post photos after the competition as you never know who's sneaking on here! One of my classmates already tried to steal my idea but luckily for me miserably failed! ^-^ xxx

Good for you! Keep your ideas hush,
You will go far with your passion!
Good luck

I will definitely let you know how I get on :) fantasy one is a Siren (think Ace Age 4!)- blonde hair, with a ship on top of her head with hair ringlets wrapping round it, looks very unusual but then I am an oddball! Haha, and bridal - as I said- very contemporary, very vintage on jet black hair with pin curls at the front and the works lol. Will Post photos after the competition as you never know who's sneaking on here! One of my classmates already tried to steal my idea but luckily for me miserably failed! ^-^ xxx

A false ship or are you shaping the hair into a ship? Xoxo

Definitely go with your original design, a competition should be YOUR style/interpretation not your tutors....can't wait to c the pics. Good luck!!!xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

A false ship or are you shaping the hair into a ship? Xoxo

Yes a false one, I would never be able to shape the hair into a ship in 45 minutes that we're given to style the hair from nothing :) obviously makeup and clothes contribute to the final marks.. I'm attaching my mood-boards for each style... Get the idea??:) xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352929114.401151.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352929114.401151.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 212
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352929131.309281.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352929131.309281.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 183
Yes a false one, I would never be able to shape the hair into a ship in 45 minutes that we're given to style the hair from nothing :) obviously makeup and clothes contribute to the final marks.. I'm attaching my mood-boards for each style... Get the idea??:) xxx

Lol that was a silly question wasn't it.
They look great, making me want to see it more. Let us know if you make it to the Blackpool part of the competitions, am looking to go so will be there screaming for you to win xoxo

Lol that was a silly question wasn't it.
They look great, making me want to see it more. Let us know if you make it to the Blackpool part of the competitions, am looking to go so will be there screaming for you to win xoxo

Lol not a silly question at all as I tried to attempt it but I'm not that quick. Well will take it one step at a time! Will conquer Aberdeen first haha! Xxx

Definitely go with your original design, a competition should be YOUR style/interpretation not your tutors....can't wait to c the pics. Good luck!!!xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Can't wait to share the photos of the looks on the day! Xxx

Update: I won 1st place in Hair and Beauty Festival 2012 Bridal category woohoo!! Xx thanks for all your support guys xx

Aww thats fab, well done!!! you must put some pics on here i cant wait to see them.:hug:xxx

Go with what u know and let us know how u get on x

Well done you. That's absolutely brilliant. What a great start to your career.
Please post the pics.
I'm crappy at hair ups so really appreciate seeing the amazing creations that other folks can do. :hug:

Update: I won 1st place in Hair and Beauty Festival 2012 Bridal category woohoo!! Xx thanks for all your support guys xx

Well done!!! That's what you get for following your heart! Xoxo

Latest posts

Back