Hair Geeks - Ragging

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My daughter does competition dancing and loves her hair to be curly. Ive tried those bendy things you put in the hair and leave overnight and she moans that they hurt her head and she can not sleep.

Ive used straigtners and also tongs and got burnt. However they dont seem to stay in - you can see from my avatar.

Someone has mentioned ragging with strips of lycra curling upwards and knotting. Using lycra as it is soft and shouldnt make her precious little head hurt when she sleeps lol. also its easier to get out in the morning.

Just wondered if any of you hair geeks had any other ideas.

Thanks in advance

Not a hair geek, but a mum who used rags in her daughters' hair when they were wee and who also liked to sometimes have curly hair when she was wee too.

My mum (and I because that is what she did) used ripped up strips of flannellette (maybe because it felt soft?). However, it was still very annoying during the night. I think it's not just the material, it's also the hair wound up into little ringlets that you are sleeping on.

It's worth a try with the lycra, as it would be less bulky than the flannellette.

Marion xx

My Mum used to do mine with torn strips of old pillow case.
She would section my hair and then wrap each section my around a length of the material in a tight spiral, close together. Keep the end of the strip free btw, then when the hair was wound round, she would then wind the bottom length back up the roll to cover my hair and tie a small knot at the top.

I remember it well! It was a bit uncomfortable, but it's not as if it's every night. It's worth doing as she'll look smashing dancing around with the ringlets bobbing away!

I'm replying as both a former hairdresser and a former victim :lol: to ragging.
We used nylons aka pantyhose aka stockings, in our course and at home when i was a child.
Definately more comfortable than bristle rollers or rods BUT still not as comfortable as sleeping with a bare head.

Another alternative is to use the 'sponge' rollers, available in a variety of sizes.
I found them the least uncomfortable compared to everything else, and still use them today(I have a HUGE bag of them, and use them several times a year); like these

yhst-43672186186469_1840_167159460

The trick is, no matter what you roll your hair with, if you're going to sleep on it; is where you put your pillow.
You pillow needs to be slightly rolled and more under your neck than under your head and then the rollers rest on the mattress and your neck is supported, so less pressure on your head.
did that make sense?

hth's

Hi , if the hair is long enough and you just want curls mainly on the ends and throughout the top layers,

simply tie the hair up on the very top of the head, and pop in the curlers.
Then you can sleep restfully,
you could then just freshen the under layers beforehand :hug: x

Many thanks for all your replies will have a go this weekend as we have a comp in reading.

You can buy a tool by babyliss from sallys it is called the babyliss conical wand, just spray the section of hair with hair spray then use the wand, the curls will stay in for days,
i use of these and my hair is down past my waist and it works and last ages every time hth
much kinder than ragging, my mum used to do this to me when i was a kid and she use kitchen roll, that wasn't too uncomfortable hth

Latest posts

Back