Hair Growth Inhibitors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
HI guys

Have been looking at the different hair growth inhibitors that are available from some suppliers for use after and before waxing.

I just wondered if any of you have tried them and do they "do what they say on the tin". I have a few clients that despite regular exfoliating and moisturising they still do get ingrown hairs and would love to do something to stop these!

They also profess to make depilation less painful and make hair regrowth less noticable - what is your experience of this too!

Many thanks guys - I dont want to invest in these products or waste the client money if they arent effective.

If you do use them which brand have you found to be the best!

The only topical hair inhibitor which has ever been proven to slow hair growth is a prescription-only product called Vaniqa, which contains the active ingredient eflornithine (which was initially developed as a cancer medication) - but it has only ever been clinically tested on female facial hair, and even then the results were very mixed.

Other hair growth inhibitors either work on the theory that certain enzymes (mainly found in fruit and plant extracts) will retard re-growth at the root if applied immediately after waxing, or else they contain small amounts of a chemical depilatory which will gradually break down the keratin and therefore give the appearance of softer, finer re-growth.

Some people claim to have found success with these products (although I have yet to meet anyone 'in the flesh' who has) so I don't want to dismiss them out of hand, BUT... my personal feeling? 'Snake oil' springs to mind. Until there is clinical data to back up the claims, I'd save my money and put it towards a chemical exfoliator for ingrowns instead! :D

Andy x

Thanks Andy

Knew I could rely on you as per usual! :lol:

So - tell me more about chemical exfoliators that are for ingrown hairs. Are these the same as chemical exfoliators for facials and how do they work on ingrown hairs?

So - tell me more about chemical exfoliators that are for ingrown hairs. Are these the same as chemical exfoliators for facials and how do they work on ingrown hairs?

Similar, yes - most ingrown hair treatments contain the BHA salicylic acid which is a lipid-soluble keratolytic agent, meaning it can penetrate the pore to help shift excess dead skin cells which might otherwise cause the hair to get trapped (and subequently become ingrown). Some also contain one or more AHAs, such as glycolic or lactic acid, which will work on the surface of the skin in a similar manner.

As an added bonus, salicylic acid is chemically related to aspirin, meaning it can help calm any associated inflammation (although it does mean that these products are unsuitable for people allergic to aspirin).

Most products on the market have a high percentage of alcohol in them, which does have a disinfectant effect on the pores but can also be drying if present in too high amounts or if the product is overused.

Finally, some companies also bung in a few calming plant extracts or essential oils (such as tea-tree, lavender, azulene, etc) for good measure.

My personal fave is PFB Vanish, but Tend Skin, Ingrow Go and No Bump RX are readily available alternatives.

HTHs! :D

Andy x

Has anybody used the Phd hair inhibitor, it reads similar to the ones that Andy mentioned above, but doesnt list the ingredients.

Will have to try and ring Ellisons tomorrow to find out some more ingredient info.

I'm going to have a try of the Academie Acad'epil range. They do a "shock" treatment after waxing which is supposed to slow down hair growth. Don't know much about it TBH but I have my training on it in 2 weeks so can let you know more then.

Reference do a good range of hair retardents and ingrowing hair cream, they are suposed to be really good if used properly. they are distributed through essential beauty supplies.HTHs

We sell lots of Ingrow Go and have had excellent feedback from our clients,contains Glycolic acid as main ingredient.

I like Andy have yet to meet anyone in the flesh who's hair has actually been slowed down by a product and tbh I think if there were a product we certainly wouldn't have as many clients booked in for waxing services they would all be using these wonderful hair growth inhibitors.I would love one for my underarms though:green:

I tried testing a hair retarding lotion by using it on one leg & not the other, but I was never really good enough at doing it all the time to see if it works

I'm quite interested in Ingrow Go or a similar product to retail - do they sell it at Ellisons? May i ask te persons who carry the line who your suppliers are?

Many thanks!

I'm quite interested in Ingrow Go or a similar product to retail - do they sell it at Ellisons? May i ask te persons who carry the line who your suppliers are?

Many thanks!

Ingrow Go is supplied by Skin Doctors Cosmeceuticals and PFB Vanish is distributed in the UK by Salon Lines - contact details for trade orders are on both sites, and you can also buy PFB Vanish at wholesale prices through Salons Direct

HTHs :D

Have all you other waxing geeks tended to shy away from these types of products then or not felt the need for them?

Latest posts

Back