Hairdresser disaster on brunette hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smooth

Reaction score
Hi

I had lowlights put in my hair by a salon, they coloured my brunette roots first then applied the lowlights which should have just been a hint of light chocolate brown (a bit like Cheryl Cole's hair if you like). Anyway, they left it on a bit too long and had to put a toner on. Now, 2 weeks later it is very light, almost blonde with an orange hue in some places and looks dreadful. Any suggestions as I am going back in 2 weeks for a correction?

What color are your natural roots before color? Sounds like they used the wrong developer, as lowlights dont require lift ( lighter). I have never heard of toning being used in going darker. It should have been a simple one step deposit process.....?

Hiya it sounds like they've put bleach on, they've probably done that to lift your hair to the desired tone, am I correct in thinking you have a full head colour? If that's the case they wouldn't be able to lift it even slightly by putting on another tint to lo light it as tint wont lift tint.
If that's the case they've not done anything wrong or conning you, it's just risky as you've got to remove bleach at the precise moment, it's probably just lifted to much. Now all they need to do is put the desired shade on that you won't as the pigment is still in the hair. All is not lost

My hair is naturally dark brown, I have a few offending grey hairs so they dyed the roots for me, think they used a 4 but I normally have a 5 something. I know the salon really well so I don't think they are conning me or anything.

They said they would do the roots, dry it then do low lights but only leave it on for around 3 - 5 minutes otherwise it will go too light and they would have to put a toner on. She kept checking but the second time she said we'll have to wash it off and mix a toner.

Even after the toner, it looked very pale, I think it may have been bleach as the girl was blonde and she said I could do my hair with this. Do they need to just put a toner on or put another colour on to mask this drastic colour change?

My hair is naturally dark brown, I have a few offending grey hairs so they dyed the roots for me, think they used a 4 but I normally have a 5 something. I know the salon really well so I don't think they are conning me or anything.

They said they would do the roots, dry it then do low lights but only leave it on for around 3 - 5 minutes otherwise it will go too light and they would have to put a toner on. She kept checking but the second time she said we'll have to wash it off and mix a toner.

Even after the toner, it looked very pale, I think it may have been bleach as the girl was blonde and she said I could do my hair with this. Do they need to just put a toner on or put another colour on to mask this drastic colour change?
Can't see any reason why they can't put the deisred shade on the lights that have lifted, definately sounds like she's given you hi lights though by what you've said about only leaving it on for 3-5 mins. Tint, has a development time full stop. Something with a base 6 or 7, even half and half will darken them right down but still have a contrast to your normal colour, actually 6.3 would be nice!

thanks for your help, at least now I have something to go with rather than having a book to look at and then saying I'll be guided by you, you're the expert.

this is what i was thinking .. they must have used bleech to lighten it because like what you said.. tint dont lift tint.. however they should have known that bleech will lighten the exsisting colour but may not achieve the desired colour you first wanted.. therefore they should have lightened it to the base colour of your desired coloured .. then put the colour you chose in the first place on .. rather than just taking the easy way out and trying to achieve the colour you wanted with just bleech .

That makes sense, years ago I wanted caramel colour slices and they bleached it then put the colour over this. So should I just ask for a light brown on then rather than let them put the toner on (which is what they want to do)?

That makes sense, years ago I wanted caramel colour slices and they bleached it then put the colour over this. So should I just ask for a light brown on then rather than let them put the toner on (which is what they want to do)?

For sure, can't see the point in a toner. When you popping back?

For sure, can't see the point in a toner. When you popping back?

The last Wednesday of the month. Thanks for you advice I will definitely ask for a light brown tint to be put on to colour over the bleach. Does it have to have a hint of red in it to avoid it going green?

The last Wednesday of the month. Thanks for you advice I will definitely ask for a light brown tint to be put on to colour over the bleach. Does it have to have a hint of red in it to avoid it going green?
You should be ok as it doesn't sound like they've lifted the red pigment out of your hair, but if you want a caramel colour thats a warm base anyhow.

You should be ok as it doesn't sound like they've lifted the red pigment out of your hair, but if you want a caramel colour thats a warm base anyhow.

Fab thanks for your help, I just normally say I'll leave the colour up to you as you're the expert but at least now I have some knowledge to go in with. :)

Latest posts

Back