Hairdresser refused to help me & suggested home products?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlmb21

Reaction score
I had to share this with all you geeks because I think it is shocking!..

I had a free afternoon yesterday so I decided to pop into a local hairdressers to finally get my hair done in time for my daughters bday party..

I walked in to the salon as this particular salon doesn't set appointments. Firstly I was greeted by a young lady who was washing hair and then out came another older looking lady who asked how she could help.. I said to her that I'm trying to achieve a lighter look as my hair is around a base 3-4 which is faded and I have about an inch root growth which is slightly lighter than the rest of my hair.

She stood there and looked at me asif I was mad and said she wasn't sure if she could lift my colour and that it would involve stripping and that I "don't want to get into all that".. Umm well actually I do want you to do that because I want my hair lightening up!

Anyway after a good few minuets of her saying I had no chance of getting lighter I asked what I could have done and she said "to be honest, nothing. Your better off leaving it, use head and shoulders to try and strip it over time" I think even the other hairdresser was shocked as she said it can be done because she went from black to blonde and blah blah blah!

But no.. Not prepared to help atall and I'm sorry but if you can't go to a salon and have your hair done or made to atleast look better then what is the industry coming to?? I'd rather they said they would re-touch my roots if nothing else. I would understand her reasoning if my hair was very dark but it's not and it's fading more and more and looking awful.

I dunno.. I thought I was doing the right thing by going to a professional but turns out my hair can't be helped! Haha

Xx

Is it a well known chain that do "something" cuts ;)

Please please please dont feel put off! You did exactly the right thing on going to a salon - but unfortunately the salon you happened upon was not a good one!! What you want IS acheivable. DONT use over the counter products - this "stylist" is talking tripe! I would suggest finding a good salon through reccomenadtion via friens or even a search engine like qype or yell that may have had reviews posted on them.
People like the person you met today let our industry down and Im sorry you had to encounter this.
Some of us are really bloody good you know ;-)
xxxx

Bluerinse- it was indeed that brand name! haha, I wasn't expecting much from them going by what I had been told but I thought to turn a customer away when the salon was empty was shocking :/

Those chain salons are the equivalent of going to a drive thro and expecting fine dining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jojo- I know it's achievable but I am not willing to try it myself haha, I know better than that as I'm only just going into level 2 next week, just so shocked by the service I got and the fact that she turned me away so quickly :-S

I would never turn anyone away I would either take all the steps to what they want or offer them another service? Not very good for the brand name she's representing!

Rest assured though I have every faith that there are some phenomenal stylists out there and I'll just have to look elsewhere, find someone who is as passionate about hairdressing as myself and all the salongeeks :)

Xx

Those chain salons are the equivalent of going to a drive thro and expecting fine dining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, I did know that this wasn't the best idea but I thought I would try it as it was by chance that I had a free afternoon :)

Xx

What's this chain called? Pm me if so I can be in the know lol.
That's awful though, has she not heard of bleach highlights and toner if nothing else? Xoxo

Sorri youve had to encounter a noticeably under educated hairdresser that either couldnt be arsed or wouldnt know where to start.

Today must have been your lucky day because by the sound of it had you have been offered an appointment you could be posting a much different and scarier story here tonight :(

However we arent all like this so maybe you need to take the advice above and go to a referred stylist from friends/family etc etc.

Good luck in your search for lighter hair :D

Is it a well known chain that do "something" cuts ;)

"something" cuts can't even do cuts either I ended up with a chunk missing out of my length at the front(graduated bob) she said it was meant to be like that. 😁 xxx

"something" cuts can't even do cuts either I ended up with a chunk missing out of my length at the front(graduated bob) she said it was meant to be like that. 😁 xxx

Whoops :irked:

We wouldn't have done it either.

Because you'd need to be skin tested first! (Surprised nobody in the salon or on here mentioned this) ;)

Because you'd need to be skin tested first! (Surprised nobody in the salon or on here mentioned this) ;)
But off the scalp colours would have been fine xoxo

I have to agree here , skin testing would be a must irrespective of products used ! However I guarantee my advice would be a little bit more productive !!! X

Let me tell you.... This chain has an insurance policy meaning they don't need too ;)

By the sound of it the stylist in question had no inclination to even do a consult on this client,let alone a skin test,so nobody picked up on it because the poster didnt even get in a chair!!

Let me tell you.... This chain has an insurance policy meaning they don't need too ;)

Really? How?

I got offered a managers job with them at the beginning of the year, dog lad I didn't take it x

What?! That's an absolute disgrace !!! Clearly no concern for client welfare , disgrace ! My first question before a client gets in the chair is always have you been to the salon for a colour before and was it in the last 6 months , plus it comes up on the system ! These guys are a joke!

Latest posts

Back