Hairdressing NVQ starter kit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Can any of you remember what you got in your starter kits? I have the option of buying one from the college I'll be attending for £150, but we have a rep come round to our salon who we get a lot of our stuff from, colours, bleach etc. and he said he would price up a kit and let me know how much it would be and I could pay over 6 weeks instead of straight out like I would have to witht he college :).

I don't know exactly what I would get in the kit from college (exept for a book (untitled) worth £22) so the girls in the salon tried racking their brains to remember what they got!

Can anyone enlighten me? I gave him a list, but know I forgot to tell him about the book (although I don't know what it's called) :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance. xx

I dont think you will get it any cheaper than from the college i would go with the college to be honest . I have got my list of things but my kit was £250 so wouldnt be the same the book i got was level 2 leo palladino foundations book 5th edition hth

Thanks for your reply Choc Choc :)

This is pretty much what the girls in the salon said, but I thought I'd see what he comes back with anyway.

I'm starting my first 'proper' day on Tuesday :eek: and the tutor said if I didn't have my kit by then, not to worry as there will be things there I can use. I do have my own professional pair of scissors though which I got from the rep on Friday :green:, not that they'll let me cut anything on Tuesday!

xx

I got a list from college abd bought mine privately through the salon owner where i did my apprentiship. It cost about the same but was of far superior quality,if you spend a little extra on brushes and combs they'll last for years,on top of my kit i asked for contributions towards the GHD brush set for xmas,i still have them 10 years later :D

PS don't spend a lot on scissors,use your initial cheap pair on your block head,buy another better quality pair when you start cutting real hair,and don't use the block scissor on human hair,they blunt and drag hth's hun

ooh i got mine when i was 16 so that was blooming yrs ago but from what i remeber i got .. rollers and pins, hair net ,hairdryer , brushes , combs, scissors , thinnning scissors and razor , block head , apron , and a load of beauty stuff coz we had to do make up and manicure in with the hair course , :green:
hth xxxx

PS don't spend a lot on scissors,use your initial cheap pair on your block head,buy another better quality pair when you start cutting real hair,and don't use the block scissor on human hair,they blunt and drag hth's hun

Ooh, thanks for that, that's something I didn't know! My pair were £30 and are also pink so should be easy to spot at college if someone decides to 'borrow' them, I've heard that goes on a lot at college! :rolleyes:

That's also the reason why the girls said to go with the college kit as the quality isn't what you would call fantastic, and as it's cheaper, it's easier to replace, but then that means spending out twice, when I can only just about afford to spend out once!

Thanks Dee, I think we got those things in there :)

xx

hey!

my kit from college was really rubbish, i ended up spending £250+ on new "ugrades"...

but, i got,

hairdryer, straighteners, tint bowls and brush (2), 2 mannequin heads, butterfly clips, sectioning clips, scissors, thinners, water bottle, isinis brush, 5 diff size round brushes, denman brush, neck brush, combs (tail, cutting, pin tail, detangling, barbering, dressing out), "patrick cameron brush", tool belt,

there must have been more, but i cant think sorry! will add more when i think of it!

and for my level 3 kit this year i got,

Clippers, clipper gaurds, mannequin head, 4 colour head, bun ring, neck brush,

theres more tothat too but i cant think!

and definetly get a cheap pair of scissors for practicing cutting, you wouldnt believe how quick they blunt on my "sally" doll!

:hug:

p.s. and books!

hey!

my kit from college was really rubbish, i ended up spending £250+ on new "ugrades"...

but, i got,

hairdryer, straighteners, tint bowls and brush (2), 2 mannequin heads, butterfly clips, sectioning clips, scissors, thinners, water bottle, isinis brush, 5 diff size round brushes, denman brush, neck brush, combs (tail, cutting, pin tail, detangling, barbering, dressing out), "patrick cameron brush", tool belt,

there must have been more, but i cant think sorry! will add more when i think of it!

and for my level 3 kit this year i got,

Clippers, clipper gaurds, mannequin head, 4 colour head, bun ring, neck brush,

theres more tothat too but i cant think!

and definetly get a cheap pair of scissors for practicing cutting, you wouldnt believe how quick they blunt on my "sally" doll!

:hug:

p.s. and books!

Thanks Alan :)

There are a couple of things in there that I didn't think of, like straighteners (doh!)

Different colleges apparently have different requirements for what goes in their kits so I suppose it's really what you would use most of initially?

What books would be good atarter ones? I already have a Toni & Guy one about sectioning different styles and colouring them and a Trevor Sorbie one that's more like a 'what I've done, aren't I great?' type book.

Thanks for your input :)

xx

the straighteners that i got from college weren't bad ( i changed them as i made all my kit yellow!) but i think they werent expensive,,,il find out and pm you if you like,

the hairdryer that i got from college was waaaaaaaaay to heavy for me and i ended up at the docs with a sore arm! so i got an eti (yellow, of course.) one.

and books wise, leo palladino books are generally whats in all the kits, they are the best and follow nvq syllabus,,,

:D

and i know some college need you to have perm rods and rollers, kirbys etc but my college has "communal" ones as they are rarely used!

the straighteners that i got from college weren't bad ( i changed them as i made all my kit yellow!) cool! :) but i think they werent expensive,,,il find out and pm you if you like, yes please

the hairdryer that i got from college was waaaaaaaaay to heavy for me and i ended up at the docs with a sore arm! so i got an eti (yellow, of course.) of course :) one.

and books wise, leo palladino books are generally whats in all the kits, they are the best and follow nvq syllabus,,, Thanks Alan, I'll look him up

and i know some college need you to have perm rods and rollers, kirbys etc but my college has "communal" ones as they are rarely used!

I was told we would need these, but I suppose if I have them, I've got them then and don't have to worry about buying them in if someone wants a perm. Thinking about it, we get quite a few ladies of a certain age having sets, where we need to use rollers and perms seem to be coming back! (at least where I live anyway!) :)

Thanks again hun. xx

I paid £100 for a kit from college, but it was really rubbish. One of the brushes split within 2 weeks. I took it back to college and got a refund.

I went on the Sally's website and bought their 'plus' kit. It's amazing. I have a trade account there because I am a nail tech and I also bought it on a VAT free day, so I only paid £80 more.

If you go to www.sallyexpress.co.uk you can find it on their under college kits. There are 2 to choose from. I think you need to buy good quality stuff to ensure it lasts.

xx

If I were you I'd get a list of whats in the college kit (or have a nosey at someone elses whos bought one in your class ha) then buy your own most of the stuff you'll probs have. Mine was £200 and all i got was a book,head,pack of combs, pack of round brushes, scissors, thinning scissors, sectioning clips and i think that was it all in this big ugly trolley which i hardly used x

I Am Starting College In Septemeber And I Am Having The Same Thoughts As You, Not Sure What I REALLY Need. I Have A Sallys Card As I Went In And Asked About College Kits And Stuff And They Said If I Could Prove I Was Going To Be Doing The Course I Could Get A Traid Card Which Means Things Are ALOT Cheaper, Could Be An Idea To Ask If You Have A Sallys Close By. :D Hope That Is Some Help To You, I Am Looking For Going Cheaper As Well As It Is Very Expensive :) xX

kits differ from one college to the other, from one year to the next. I'd go with the college one cos it'll have in it exactly what you'll need for training. You can always add bits to it throughout the year if you really want. Don't know if your college is the same but at the one i'm at, the electrical stuff has to be PAT tested

oh and i'd want to see a list of everything that's in it first. Don't want a lucky dip for your money :D

My kit had everything i could want in it and some of it i didnt even need. I brought mine from Sallys . I have brought little bits but my salon and college supply most of what ive brought im just fussy and have brought my own , Hope this helps x

i started in september.I got mine privately so i could spread out what i paid.
i got hair dryer,straightners,rollers,roller pins,perm rods,tint bowl and brush,setting net,spray bottle,2 prong pins,ceramic brushes assoted sizes,paddle brush,denman brush,cutting combs,2 maniquin heads,butterfly clips,sectioning clips,pintail comb,and other combs,scissors,thinning scissors,razor,cutting collar,neck brush. i have since added to it with a gown for my children,conditioning treatments,oil treatments so i can practice these at home in my own times.

Latest posts

Back