Hard finding job with only level 2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeleyp

Reaction score
I am having a nightmare month, I am trying to find a Beauty therapy / Nail tech role but not having any luck.

I am due to start my level 3 in September.

All I am being told is they want level 3, one women said today to me on the phone, I am no good with out level 3, no one would employ me, plus she wants a mature member of staff with out even asking my age (34).

I feel I am really stuck!

Any advice would be appreciated :O(

Thank you

Keeley x:confused:

i haven't been on here for a while as i've been busy with real life haha but last i heard you had left the gym and was in a salon with another therapist what happened? how come you are looking elsewhere? everybody wants this infamous nvq3 don't they it seems. x

Oh I started at this salon, and she would not use consultation forms, so I didnt want to do treatments with out these at it invalidates your insurance.

So I left it wasnt a nice place to work.

I know everyone is wanting level 3, it is so frustrating, I just want to get into a good salon and learn while I am training.

I am having a nightmare month, I am trying to find a Beauty therapy / Nail tech role but not having any luck.

I am due to start my level 3 in September.

All I am being told is they want level 3, one women said today to me on the phone, I am no good with out level 3, no one would employ me, plus she wants a mature member of staff with out even asking my age (34).

I feel I am really stuck!

Any advice would be appreciated :O(

Thank you

Keeley x:confused:

Hi,there are salons that will take you on with just a level 2,I started my first job many years ago without a level 3 but had enrolled on it as you have and this was told to my employer at the time of the initial chat before I went along for the interview.

The problem is you have to keep looking and let them know you have enrolled.Have you got your massage qualification too?If so let them know this.

It's tough getting your first job,but believe me there are salons that will take you without a level 3.Focus on the ones that dont carry out electrical treatments.Good luck and dont give up.:hug:

oh no, you sounded like you really loved your last place last time i spoke to you! why couldn't you just use your own consultation forms on the clients you seen yourself? i so hope you find something soon that suits you! are you not interested in going mobile at all? even if it is to just give you extra practise and build up a client base to get yourself some regular income? x

HI I have tried advertising but only had a couple of phone calls. I am trying to think of ways to advertise.

Hi,there are salons that will take you on with just a level 2,I started my first job many years ago without a level 3 but had enrolled on it as you have and this was told to my employer at the time of the initial chat before I went along for the interview.

The problem is you have to keep looking and let them know you have enrolled.Have you got your massage qualification too?If so let them know this.

It's tough getting your first job,but believe me there are salons that will take you without a level 3.Focus on the ones that dont carry out electrical treatments.Good luck and dont give up.:hug:
Thank you will do some more searches and look for some salons that dont do electrical treatments?

x

As babsann said, keep trying! It is very hard to get your foot in the door, bit of a catch 22 really. I was taken on as a junior therapist while studying for my nvq3, keep an eye out for job adverts looking for junior therapists in particular. Some salons like to take on junior girls because they have no 'bad habits' and can be moulded easily. Even if you have a bit of experiance under your belt working with NVQ2, this will give you an edge over those just qualified.

It may be worth writing a nice cover letter to go along with your CV explaining a little bit about yourself so they are aware you aren't a teenager straight out of college.

Also bare in mind, this time of year there will be a fresh new batch of college girls just qualified looking for jobs so it may be a bit tougher at the moment.

Keep your chin up and good luck!!

xx:hug:xx

Thank you, I think this is the problem I sound younger than I am.

I will maybe go in and visit some salons.

x

It doesn't matter if you sound young, that won't stop you getting a job because that would be discrimination. If you are 34 should have more skills and experience than younger newly qualified therapists.

I see you are a nail technician, could you not get try and get a job as a nail technician in a beauty salon and ask to be trained in other treatments to build experience? Do you have other skills such as sales/retail experience, people skills etc.? Maybe your CV could be worded better or seem more enthusiastic.

With my experience as a manager if somebody less qualified as I would like applies for a job but has other skills, a good personality and a good CV they still stand a good chance at becoming employed as they are seen as a good asset for the business. Qualifications are only a part of the job criteria. I have also found that many older therapists did not attain jobs because they appeared cocky, stubborn and did not like constructive criticism unlike many young therapists.

Although you may find it difficult because you don't have your level three, I would definitely reassess your CV and think about what attitude your are conveying with interviews or applications.

Latest posts

Back