Hard Nosed Business Advice Desperately Needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of buzz on here about MyScara. Another hot one right now is HD Brows. I'm none the wiser on either, but did want to mention the famous saying "shortcuts make long delays". The prices you quoted seem reasonable, though I am sure it is a lot when you are just trying to get started.

These are investments of both your cash and your time. Make them wisely. You will inevitably find cheaper products and cheaper courses. But will you actually save?

The sooner you can hit the ground running with products and treatments that people are seeking, the faster you will start seeing a return on your investment.

Decide what works best for you and then focus!

Best of luck :)

Yes Myscara looks good, but looking at the training which is £180 plus professional kit £170 plus VAT you really need £400 upfront to get into. It is on my hit list tho.

To be honest thats peanuts in the beauty world anything you do is going to go towards the £500 plus mark just to start.

To be honest thats peanuts in the beauty world anything you do is going to go towards the £500 plus mark just to start.

Yes - you are right. I guess you are in effect purchasing a franchaise with these beauty products and these arent cheap.

I appreciate everyones input here and having taken it all in I think I am just going to continue with the semi permanent eyelash extensions, save up for the myscara and use the anticipated revenue from that to later purchase the other myriad of "eye" courses along with shellac, minx, tanning and waxing.

Thanks again. x

There is a lot of buzz on here about MyScara. Another hot one right now is HD Brows. I'm none the wiser on either, but did want to mention the famous saying "shortcuts make long delays". The prices you quoted seem reasonable, though I am sure it is a lot when you are just trying to get started.

These are investments of both your cash and your time. Make them wisely. You will inevitably find cheaper products and cheaper courses. But will you actually save?

The sooner you can hit the ground running with products and treatments that people are seeking, the faster you will start seeing a return on your investment.

Decide what works best for you and then focus!

Best of luck :)

Thanks for that. Yes HD does look like a really good solid brand. I understand that it is expensive to set up, but what I want to do market research about is how much it would be for clients. I got the impression that after having had the treatment they need to purchase items to take away with them. If that is the case then the overall cost to my prospective clients would be more than the £35 quoted and may not be suitable for my area which is very price conscious.

LOL - I get you. I will need to check regarding training costs for getting into shellac. I have noticed about this industry that the services that provide the highest profit margin are usually the most expensive to get into in the first place.

I loved your website btw!

:) Because I only wax nowadays, I'm intrigued and fascinated by the other treatments that my students do. I'm also a shrewd business woman and I know I good thing when I see it. You reap what you sow and you generally get what you pay for in life. Aim high! xx

You will be able to get ILA funding for the course fees, then it's just the expense of the kit

Hi
I find it really hard to advise people about what courses to do esp if I don't know that person, I would say its got to be something you really enjoy and are passionate about then you will excel at it and your clients will come back again and again. Theres nothing worse that a therapist that is doing treatments they dont like just to earn a few quid, it always shows in the treatments.

I'm lucky I do a wide variety of treatments that I enjoy, inc waxing, massage, reflex, tinting, facials and mani/pedis. I have found waxing is the bread and butter treatment, where people are on a budget they will always find a bit of cash to get their waxing done.

Hope this helps. x

Hi
I find it really hard to advise people about what courses to do esp if I don't know that person, I would say its got to be something you really enjoy and are passionate about then you will excel at it and your clients will come back again and again. Theres nothing worse that a therapist that is doing treatments they dont like just to earn a few quid, it always shows in the treatments.

I'm lucky I do a wide variety of treatments that I enjoy, inc waxing, massage, reflex, tinting, facials and mani/pedis. I have found waxing is the bread and butter treatment, where people are on a budget they will always find a bit of cash to get their waxing done.

Hope this helps. x

Thanks I totally agree, you have to love what you do. To be quite honest I got into this because Groupon were offering a reduced priced eyelash extension course through the glasgow CTA, but having practised on it with a couple of people, I really really enjoy it. It will be a few weeks and a lot of models later before I start charging for my services, but I love the idea of the quick fix beauty treatment that can make such a physical difference to someones appearance. It is incredible how it affects somones self esteem.

Before that I was running an ebay business and I felt totally cut off from people. You just spend all your time packaging orders and dealing with emails. I was getting to the point where I felt really socially isolated. The great thing about this business is that it puts you right out there amongst people. In a lot of ways it is as good for me as it is for them.

On another note I am amazed at the passion which some practitioners feel for waxing. I am definitely going to give it a go when I am on more of a financially even keel. Will perhaps book a course with the "waxing queen" herself.

Regarding itimate waxing. I must admit to being a bit put off by that, but at the end of the day if it is a good earner, I may have to be more realistic with my choices. Who did you train with and what waxing method do you use?

If you're going to be squeamish around certain body parts then I'd advise not to offer it just because you'll earn from it iykwim. There is nothing worse than meeting a therapist you KNOW doesn't want to do what they are doing. And they're all gloves up the elbow and nose turned up doing the job. Saying that you might find when you try it you really don't mind one bit. I was in college with a girl that nearly got sick having to do a manicure on someone, she only lasted the first week. You really do need to be comfortable with people's bodies.

How about makeup artistry if you feel you need something with the lashes?

If you're going to be squeamish around certain body parts then I'd advise not to offer it just because you'll earn from it iykwim. There is nothing worse than meeting a therapist you KNOW doesn't want to do what they are doing. And they're all gloves up the elbow and nose turned up doing the job. Saying that you might find when you try it you really don't mind one bit. I was in college with a girl that nearly got sick having to do a manicure on someone, she only lasted the first week. You really do need to be comfortable with people's bodies.
Well said! x

No you wont know till you have tried it. If someone with a crystal ball had told the 15 year old me that I would be making a living by pouring hot wax over mens privates then ripping their hair out by the roots. I would have been a wee bit concerned about what kind of job it was that I was going to be doing :wink2:

Seriously tho, I have no problem with the nether regions so long as people are hygenic.

Hi Hun

Have been reading through the thread and thought I would post. I am having a total career change. I have recently trained in spray tanning and also manicure and going on to do pedicure. I trained with CND in manicure and I am then going to offer shellac, spa mani, manicure and minx. If you jump on the sweet squared website they have details of their manicure course... which is very very reasonable. I am going to be training in pedicure soon with a company nearer to me but if I could I'd do the pedicure training with CND as its a fantastic training academy and again at a very reasonable price. I've learnt so much about shellac from this site and can see how passionate and excited and profitable it can be from the techs that use it. Pop shellac in the search button and also visit the shellac group there is a wealth of info on it- I got excited just reading about it without even having it done! I finally booked an appointment in april and wow its amazing!

Once I can build my client base when I launch my mobile business in a couple of months I will use the money i make to plough back into training so im looking at lash extensions, myscara and probably waxing but from what Ive learnt from this site it is worth speaking to your clients and see what treatments they would like added to my service list.

Good luck hun!

Love n hugs xxx

Hi can anyone recommend a course or proberly two that include eye brow waxing, tinting and eyelash tinting courses that accept ila funding in glasgow?

Hi can anyone recommend a course or proberly two that include eye brow waxing, tinting and eyelash tinting courses that accept ila funding in glasgow?

hi amanda. if you go directly to the ILA website you can key in the course you want and it will bring up the training providers registered with them. cheers x

Hi Hun

Have been reading through the thread and thought I would post. I am having a total career change. I have recently trained in spray tanning and also manicure and going on to do pedicure. I trained with CND in manicure and I am then going to offer shellac, spa mani, manicure and minx. If you jump on the sweet squared website they have details of their manicure course... which is very very reasonable. I am going to be training in pedicure soon with a company nearer to me but if I could I'd do the pedicure training with CND as its a fantastic training academy and again at a very reasonable price. I've learnt so much about shellac from this site and can see how passionate and excited and profitable it can be from the techs that use it. Pop shellac in the search button and also visit the shellac group there is a wealth of info on it- I got excited just reading about it without even having it done! I finally booked an appointment in april and wow its amazing!

Once I can build my client base when I launch my mobile business in a couple of months I will use the money i make to plough back into training so im looking at lash extensions, myscara and probably waxing but from what Ive learnt from this site it is worth speaking to your clients and see what treatments they would like added to my service list.

Good luck hun!

Love n hugs xxx

Hi happy feet. I think you are dead on there :lol: I think that the way to go is to provide the big name treatments from the likes of shellac and myscara where there is a better chance to maximise profit. They are expensive to initially buy into but all the feedback here seems to indicate that it is a great investment. I am doing the myscara course on sunday.

cheers

jane.

Hi

I have to say shellac! Business has never been better since shellac came out! Clients return every two weeks and if you price yourself accordingly you will earn your money back in no time. It is a fab fab fabulous product! And easy as anything to do! I would also look at crybaby / myscara too, as it will play along well with your lashes and it's a lot quicker to do than lashes, you can get more clients in which can then lead to other treatments etc. You could do an offer say shellac and two week mascara for x amount. Personally we don't do a lot of minx, it's good for toes but not for fingers IMO.

Latest posts

Back