Hard skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I'm getting so frustrated with the skin around my nails. I've always had lovely strong natural nails which unfortunately were "ruined" during training with tips and buffing off, but 4 months on with the help of shellac and lots of solar oil they are now "getting there"!! Now I'm experiencing extremely hard rough skin around the edges of my nails. It catches in clothes, tights etc and is driving me mad. I make a conscious effort throughout the day to not bite or trim it off, but to rub in heaps of hand creme and try to ignore it. I've come away from shellac now on myself just so I don't have to put remover on my nails as, however careful you are, it's inevitable it will go on the surrounding skin. I only use normal polish now so I have more control with the remover on a cotton bud, and I put a thin layer of Vaseline on the surrounding skin before I remove polish. I've always worn gloves when using chemicals on clients so I know it's not through this, but what more can I do to get rid of it please, and, will I ever get my normal lovely skin back?! Any help would be really appreciated

Mine are the same, I have been using shellac and solar oil constantly now for 6 months and they are a bit better, certainly no worse despite the shellac removal. Do you use nourishing remover? It's a lot kinder to the skin than acetone. I think resisting the urge to bite and trim is the biggest thing tho.

Only recently started to use nourish remover and to be honest I think the damage had already been done with the acetone. I agree, I'm not a biter by nature, but the urge to just bite it off is huge, especially when I'm out and it catches in something!! My thumbs are worse and sometimes they get so hard the skin cracks and gets really sore with pressure - takes weeks then to heal and then the process starts all over again! Somebody suggested cuticle remover, but again it's a chemical and I'm not sure what will happen, I'm so scared of making it worse. I feel I've got man's hands from working on a building site!!!!

I'm getting so frustrated with the skin around my nails. I've always had lovely strong natural nails which unfortunately were "ruined" during training with tips and buffing off, but 4 months on with the help of shellac and lots of solar oil they are now "getting there"!! Now I'm experiencing extremely hard rough skin around the edges of my nails. It catches in clothes, tights etc and is driving me mad. I make a conscious effort throughout the day to not bite or trim it off, but to rub in heaps of hand creme and try to ignore it. I've come away from shellac now on myself just so I don't have to put remover on my nails as, however careful you are, it's inevitable it will go on the surrounding skin. I only use normal polish now so I have more control with the remover on a cotton bud, and I put a thin layer of Vaseline on the surrounding skin before I remove polish. I've always worn gloves when using chemicals on clients so I know it's not through this, but what more can I do to get rid of it please, and, will I ever get my normal lovely skin back?! Any help would be really appreciated

I've had the same problem with hard skin around my nails, I use Cuticle Eraser at night before Solar Oil and going to bed (so I don't wash it off). Makes a huge difference and together they are like a 'Moisture Pack' I also use the CND Almond Creme during the winter months. I hope this helps :) xx

Thanks ClaireP I might try that and hopefully I will see an improvement. Just to clarify tho, I put on the cuticle eraser and then apply my solar oil and go to bed!??!!

Yes apply Cuticle Eraser then Solar Oil rub them together into the nail and surrounding skin then go to bed. Also Cucumber Heel Therapy is great for extremely dry cracked hands!

Thanks fingernail fixer - I will try this. (I watch all your tutorials by the way - they're sooooo good!! )

Latest posts

Back