Hard Water Issues? Hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lush_luxe

Reaction score
I got some Light Beige Blonde Bleach Highlights 3 days ago, with medium beige tint as the mid tone. With a small portion of my medium brown hair almost dissappearing in the midst of it. Great when I left salon. I had no issues with the colour. The lightest smattering of blonde was fresh and neutral. :)

Cut to me drying my hair today in natural light. My hair has gone golden and brassy and orange in places ALREADY!!!

Now either something wasnt done at the salon or its the heavy hard water in my shower that's doing it. The residue in the shower is rusty and not your usual limescale.

What do I do? Approach the salon, use powerful purple/blue shampoo or toner....(neutral or cool), or go to my dad's house in a soft water area to wash my hair? LOL

I got some Light Beige Blonde Bleach Highlights 3 days ago, with medium beige tint as the mid tone. With a small portion of my medium brown hair almost dissappearing in the midst of it. Great when I left salon. I had no issues with the colour. The lightest smattering of blonde was fresh and neutral. :)

Cut to me drying my hair today in natural light. My hair has gone golden and brassy and orange in places ALREADY!!!

Now either something wasnt done at the salon or its the heavy hard water in my shower that's doing it. The residue in the shower is rusty and not your usual limescale.

What do I do? Approach the salon, use powerful purple/blue shampoo or toner....(neutral or cool), or go to my dad's house in a soft water area to wash my hair? LOL

Hi, its really hard to say without bieng able to actually see it ,
you would be far better off
going back to the salon where it was done

(Ring up first and book in for a consultation with the stylist who did it)

Then at the consultation ask the stylist to take a good look at it for you
and have a full discussion about what can be done to rectify the problem for you stating politely that you are not happy,

I dont think you should have to pay for the colour to be put right,
but you may just be charged for the blow dry and any other conditoning products used ,
but do ask and make sure before things go ahead ?

good luck :hug: x minky
Ps, let us know how you get on ?

Hello Minky,

Well in the past day or so, thankfully (and you wont believe this) I used a low ph cleansing mineral deposit shampoo (in Tescos - so I wouldn't fork out much) all after doing my research on hard water and brassy tones in blonde on the net. LOL

I swear to you, I flew home, nervous, and washed my hair in it immediatly. When wet it was already lighter. Blow-dried it had jumped up a few shades.

So it really does seem my water (extremely hard water, rust and limescale) has a terrible immediate dulling effect on my colour. With the low ph shampoo, the softness came back, the goldy orange and yellow went back to the colour I walked outta the salon with neutral beige tones.

But don't doubt that if that hadn't have worked that I would've gone back to my salon..and tactfully asked for it to be looked at.

Hello Minky,

Well in the past day or so, thankfully (and you wont believe this) I used a low ph cleansing mineral deposit shampoo (in Tescos - so I wouldn't fork out much) all after doing my research on hard water and brassy tones in blonde on the net. LOL

I swear to you, I flew home, nervous, and washed my hair in it immediatly. When wet it was already lighter. Blow-dried it had jumped up a few shades.

So it really does seem my water (extremely hard water, rust and limescale) has a terrible immediate dulling effect on my colour. With the low ph shampoo, the softness came back, the goldy orange and yellow went back to the colour I walked outta the salon with neutral beige tones.

But don't doubt that if that hadn't have worked that I would've gone back to my salon..and tactfully asked for it to be looked at.
can i ask what the shampoo was called as ive used so many for my brassy coloured hair that ive run out of what to try next?
thanks

I use:

Charles Worthington 'Colour Bright' for Blonde.
It states it's low ph.

But it brightens only. And does lift it and cancel the orange.

I mix either:

Lush Daddy-O (Purple) Shampoo

or

Wella SP Silver Saver (Purple) Shampoo

in with the low ph shampoo to REALLY take all warm tones out.

I'm sure if I'd have been in a soft water area...any of those two purple shampoos would've been fine by themselves.:green:

Was at my fiancee's mum's house, and had to wash my hair.

Oh, the soft water was sublime. My hair was thinner but softer. Slinkier, smoother, and cool beige tones came back with no effort.

It stayed straight after I used my irons.
For three DAYS!!!!

Now I'm home again, my hair's coated with my hard water. The colour is dull again. It's stiffer, harder to style, I ironed it this morning. The straight as a board look has already diminished. Oh and the blonde has gone brassy again. Grrr...

I almost came back AND didnt wanna wash my hair. Knowing it would go back to crap. LOL

ever tried Lee Stafford range>? boots has the lot...one of lifes luxuries i miss about my hometown is the soft water.mines is brilliant when i go up to visit mum but dull as anything & brassy when i get back home again after 4 days ..so know what u mean.

Latest posts

Back