Have you ever asked a client if you can re do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellebelle

Reaction score
Well we see a lot on here about clients asking pros to go back and re do, change repair etc but have you ever been the unhappy one and asked a client if you could go back?

I did a rebalance last Night and I am unhappy with my work, I know where I went wrong, filing technique wrong (didn't realise I was filing away side if free edge when removing some lifting on two nails) and applied to much product than was needed, faffed about repairing the free edges id damaged,panicked at the time, rushed and applied shellac and art before nails were ready and so the shellac in iced cuppicciono emphasised mistakes. I'm cross because these were over 3 weeks on bitten nails shed done really Well with them and there was minimal work but I made a meal of it.
She rebooked and I admitted I wasn't happy and gave her a discount (I know but I couldn't possibly charge full price for unsatisfactory work)

I need to text back to confirm I've booked in for 3 weeks time but also want to ask if I can pop back to refine the nails more and re shellac again.

What do you all think? I'm not sure the nails are going to go 3 weeks this time as they are thicker and I've added corners that I filed away.

I am so tempted to jack extensions in - i can do a good full set but rebalances are not enjoyable. Perhaps ill just use Brisa for odd repairs to my natural nail clients.
Help!!!

I've just had a similar situation. In fact I thought I had lost my mojo and was ready to quit. I saw my client later on while shopping and she was happy and told me she had 4 compliments that day! We are always harder on ourselves! I stepped back and re grounded myself. Watched fingernail fixer video all night and I'm feeling Encouraged. Thank you Holly

I would love to hear some other tech advice if we should call a client. Ack in for a redo

Hi Bo
Thanks for your reply, I too have worried unescessarily in the past but this time there were mistakes, flared sidewalks on two nails thick on ends etc. they didn't look good. (because of time i had to get shellac on before i was happy)

I guess lack of replies means no one has ever asked a client back in, perhaps always done perfect nails or waited to see if the client contacted them, I don't think I can do that. I think I will text and say as you know I wasn't happy with the finish so if they are driving you made I'm happy to pop back to refine and re shellac for you xx

What did the client say about them?

I do this quite often look but not happy then sometimes I see the person a few days later and think they look fab lol. Intact one of my clients put a picture of nails on the other day, I felt quite upset she had been somewhere else to have her nails done,I must admit thought they looked very nice though. When I looked a little closer realised she was showing off her new engagement ring and they were the nails I had done. I didn't like them that much when I did them lol.x

What did the client say about them?

She didn't say anything not sure if that's good or bad! She did get up straightaway to check here calendar for rebooking. I did point out I wasn't happy and why and she said "I see why you mean" but time was an issue. I may have put the thought in her head by doing that

I do this quite often look but not happy then sometimes I see the person a few days later and think they look fab lol. Intact one of my clients put a picture of nails on the other day, I felt quite upset she had been somewhere else to have her nails done,I must admit thought they looked very nice though. When I looked a little closer realised she was showing off her new engagement ring and they were the nails I had done. I didn't like them that much when I did them lol.x

It think at some point you get an eye for nails and know how you want things to look. Always striving for that perfection. So many times I've zoomed in on people's Facebook pictures to see if they still have my nails on lol!!!

I do think you have to be careful here as telling the client your not happy with the nails you have just done on them show you are lacking confidence. If she didn't say anything after you'd finished and was happy with them I would have just left it at that. You may have put ideas in her head now, she may look for flaws in the future.
You know where you went wrong so put it down to experience, learn from it and move on. I'm sure you'll do a great set next time. We all have our off days and I sure they looked nowhere near as bad as what you think.
If you would have looked at them again the next day (with fresh eyes) I bet they would have looked great
It happens to us all at some point in our career. I am always striving to make my next set of nails better than my last. You sound like a perfectionist, which is a good thing because you will never become complacent andwill always want to do better.
Good luck and Hth. :)

I fluffed a set of Axxium refaces the other week on a client as i was tired and wiped them over with expert touch and they started to lift on the edges!! I carried on and rectified everything as best i could but i knew they had been compromised so they wouldn't last the full 2 weeks until her next app, so i offered a small discount of about 15% and told her i wasn't 100% with the set. She came back for her next app and i did a new set of gel colour on her which she seemed very pleased with and she did lose some of her axxium as i had predicted.

I think what you did was the right thing if the set really were not good in your eyes as pretending everything is brill when it's not doesn't give the client confidence in your honesty. Most clients know that we can have bad days so a token of a small discount is no bad thing, but i don't think you need to go as far as redoing the nails unless they were completely dire, which i doubt they were as i am sure your client would have pointed this out to you immediately and you sound more than capable.

don't give up :hug:xx

I have done this before when I was newer to the world of nails and it works well in customer loyalty. There is nothing wrong with a pride in your work rather than just hollow pride my darling :wink2:

This happened to me one time on a fill. The color she had choosen was a runny chunky glitter. It took me an extra 45 mins. I was soo upset especially since it was my favorite client! 6 weeks later she came back for a fill and I had no idea why I had been so upset. The nails were fine and there was only a little bit of lifting, the smile line was the shape it was supposed to be. I didn't have anything no worry about after all. So I learned an important lesson that day. We are our own worst critics, so next time I'm panicking inside I always think back on that fill.

Don't worry about it sugar xoxo its all good and she loves her nails.

When I first started I did a set of French in gellux and they looked great but I knew I did them too thick so they were likely to lift.
I asked her to rebook with me after the weekend as I knew she had a wedding and they would be fine for that but said I know they won't last as long as they should die to my error.
She was lovely, laughed and said I was a perfectionist and said she'd rebook in the week for her free redo.
3 weeks later she booked in, said her nails were fine and that she doesn't need any money off.
But she knew I genuinely cared and had stayed loyal as she knows if there's a problem she can come back.
I don't think there's a problem in calling a client back. You will probably see they really weren't that bad and know in future u don't need to worry so much.
What client is going to be cross that their nail tech wants to make sure her nails are perfect?
BUT, if u make a habit of it, people will lose respect for you and think u can't ever do them right, so make sure it is a one off and next time make them perfect!! Xx

Thank you all for all your replies, it's great to have different perspectives and experiences. Also great to know I'm not the only one to have off days or appointments that just don't go how they should. I will keep you all posted!
Also having to out this downs experience and I know next rebalance I willmake sure i am more particular with my file control and product placement. Xx

I agree with the others that we are our own worse critics...

I have beat myself up over sets too and got myself in bad humour thinking they were rubbish and I had let myself down only to have the client walk in 3-4 weeks later with all intact and not looking too bad....

I'd say that's a good thing as you keep challenging yourself .

I'd rather be over critical and picky over my work than be so cocky thinking I was so brilliant that I didn't need to improve

Latest posts

Back