Having trouble piercing gel overlay for nail jewellry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grelot

Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie needs advice! I have a client with LCN gel sculptures who wants a nail charm/piercing. I've practiced on my own sculptures but each time I try to make the hole, the sculpture cracks! :( Do I make the hole before I cure the gel? Tried it on acrylic with no prob, but disaster with LCN sculpture gel.

Also, how the hell do you use the bolted/nut jewellry. (sorry, can't really describe properly) The actual post seems huge - do you cut it down with tip cutters or what? :rolleyes: Hands up in horror!

thanks!

I'll try to help you here. I know for charms/dangles, if you are using tips, you poke the hole before applying product. Now when you apply the product, maybe you keep the hole clear by sticking a toothpick through it, and working the product around it. With your gels, you could cure the product with the toothpick sticking out, (enough sticking out so you can get a good grip to pull it out. Try this first on a practice tip, and see how it goes. I know beauty suppliers sell tools for this kind of work, that you twist, and they drill a little hole through the nail for nail dangles, but if it isn't going through your gels, then this may be an alternative for you. I hope this doesn't sound silly, forgive me if it does, it's the only thing I could think of. I hope someone else gives you some better advice! Like I said, try it on a practice tip first, and see how it works. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Which way are you piercing the hole?
I always pierce from the top really supporting the nail from underneath and slowly drilling, that way I can feel the drill underneath. I found sometimes that drilling from underneath the nail can cause breaking but I have seen it done both ways.
The bolt on type jewellery does need clipping off with cutters once fitted. HTH

I place blue tack on the table and place the back of the hand onto the table with the blue tack under the nail then drill. I dont get cracking doing it this way...!

Vicky x

Hi

LCN Sculpture is hard as rock so i would go with Diya's method. There is no way you will get it to pierce without it cracking.

Thanks all for your assistance! I shall try the "cure with hole" method as all others have not worked! Hopefully will sort this in time for Christmas!

regards
tj

Latest posts

Back