Headache & aromatherapy facial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exceptionail

Reaction score
would a headache class as a contraindication when having an aromatherapy facial?

My friend called the salon to let them know that she was unwell with a headache. The salon said that there would it be a 50% cancellation fee.
My friend was a regular at the salon and spends loads there and has never cancelled an appointment before. But she was unwell and was told that she either had to attend her appointment or loose £30.
So she attended her appointment and didn't enjoy it one bit.

I understand that cancellation policy's are discretionary, so the right or wrong is subjective.
My issue is that they still performed the treatment on her even though she was clearly unwell and no consultation form was completed.

So after all my waffling, my question is.....
is a headache/migraine a contraindications for an aromatherapy facial?

That sounds very unprofessional to me.

I suffer from migraines. If I had one, I would be lying in a cool dark room and if anyone tried to touch me anywhere but especially on my head, I'd probably bite them!
If I was that regular client, I'd seriously consider not returning.

However, even if I was being threatened with a £500 cancellation charge, I still wouldn't have gone to the appointment, so maybe it was just a headache rather than a migraine?

I would say a headache isn't s contraindication if anything it could help. A migraine is completely different to a headache (having suffered for years as a child but thankful grew out of them!!) But if your friend, who rarely/never cancels, must of been feeling poorly! I would've taken into account her good track record & that she's a good client & I would absolutely not have charged her! They have been a bit foolish here & not considered the longevity of your friend as their client! They should have exercised their discretion with this one!! WALLY'S!!!!!

It depends on what blends you are using. If someone is feeling unwell and has a headache and you use a stimulating blend then there is the possibility of making them feel worse and causing nausea. I think it just depends on each client, but if someone came to me and said they had a banging headache and were also feeling unwell then I wouldn't use aromatherapy or massage because it often makes them feel worse. I was taught not to carry out massage-like treatments on people who feel unwell because with all the lymphatic drainage etc it makes you feel worse and more groggy. Especially with a headache, you should avoid massage on the scalp if this is something you offer during a facial (like Indian head massage).
I definitely wouldn't have said this to a client! I think it's really unfair and puts them in an uncomfortable and even stressful situation. I would hate to carry out a treatment on someone if I knew that they didn't want to be there

Massage and essential oils can be used to relieve an active headache (if the right techniques and oils are used), but personally if someone felt so unwell they didn't want a treatment, I can't imagine wanting to use threats of cancellation fees to force them to come in - I don't see how that benefits either party.

Latest posts

Back