Health and safety in the salon!! Yikes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KattyB

Reaction score
Hello all

I am another newbie to this site although I have been having sneaky peeks at all the threads in the last few weeks!!

Just in the process of setting up my new salon...The Beauty Loft. Should get my premises in the next few weeks and currently my house is full of equipment ready to furnish my new salon(had a ball a Professional Beauty North, loadsa bargins!).

I have been trying to research what measures I need to put in place for the salon in respect of health and safety. I'm wanting any advice from anyone who has a salon or has had experience of this. I am offering ear piercing and st stopez spray tan so I'm not sure if this affects it. For example Do I have to have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, health and saftey poster etc?

Also just looking into Insurance..any suggestions...contacted a company today called salon gold? Also any advice on how debit card machines work and where I get one from?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks Peeps

HABIA do a really good H&S pack for salons, it covers everything and you get regular updates too! Yes you will need all the H&S things like fire extinguishers, first aid kit, poster, COSSH assessments, risk assessments, RIDOR info, accident book etc etc etc! The HABIA pack covers the lot.

Habia

Hi

with regards credit and debit cards i would really look in to it as most geeks have said they dont have them as its expensive to set up and there are also monthly costs, minimum transaction charges and and then you have a pence/% taken off each card transaction.

So if you are considering it look long and hard at what comapanys charges.

Also do a search here on the forum as there has been a few threads with regards this.

hope this helps and i wish you all the luck:hug:

ryt so dus anyone no a good site with bullet point information for health n safety of the workplace?

Really appreciate it , if ya could help..:) // cheers \\

Hi Katty,

Were you aware that you will need a licence to offer ear piercing.

Also thought I would let you know that one of the benefits of getting your insurance and membership through the Guild is that you can then receive a discount on Barclaycard Merchant Services. Click here to find out more.

Have had a look at this site - thanks for that. I am waiting to hear back from the council also who maybe able to advise. I'm just getting confused as everywhere talks about having more than 5 employees...but there is only little me in my salon!!

Hi Katty,

Were you aware that you will need a licence to offer ear piercing.

Also thought I would let you know that one of the benefits of getting your insurance and membership through the Guild is that you can then receive a discount on Barclaycard Merchant Services. Click here to find out more.

Thanks for this link - I have been trying to find this site but was unsure if it was the same company as I think the logo has changed since I last used them! Yes I am aware that I have to register with my local authority for ear piercing.

Hi

with regards credit and debit cards i would really look in to it as most geeks have said they dont have them as its expensive to set up and there are also monthly costs, minimum transaction charges and and then you have a pence/% taken off each card transaction.

So if you are considering it look long and hard at what comapanys charges.

Also do a search here on the forum as there has been a few threads with regards this.

hope this helps and i wish you all the luck:hug:

I will have a look through as hubby says I need to get one to promt people to spend more but I'm unsure.. Thanks again

Thanks for this link - I have been trying to find this site but was unsure if it was the same company as I think the logo has changed since I last used them! Yes I am aware that I have to register with my local authority for ear piercing.

Hi,

Yes we have changed our logo recently, but we're still the same company!

If you need any more information, don't hesitate to PM me.

I found that by looking up the current licening regs i found reports of other peoples inspections and there mistakes where my gain

Hiya just to warn you that there are some con artists out there and they come to your salon with a lot of blag and talk about health and safety and try and sell you a poster for around £70 to a £100 Quid ,

My health and safety officer warned me about these people,

The health and safety office never do this ,

so don't fall for anyone selling a copy of the health and safety posters .
their blag line is that you must have one displayed by law ,

Get in touch with your local health and safety officer and he will let you know everything
they can send you some packs or he/she can visit and advise you ,:hug: x

Latest posts

Back