Health Concerns with being a Nail Technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catshaw

Reaction score
Hi, i would love some advice about any health issues people find with being a Nail Technician!
I have seen a few articles in magazines and on the internet about how this profession can be very bad for your health with people developing migraines, breathing problems, eye problems etc etc.
I really want to become a Nail Technician but after reading these articles i have been a little concerned.
Is there any real truth in these articles or are they exagerating, but surely if it were that bad for your health then nobody would do this for a job????
Any advice would be great, thanks

That's why things like risk assessments, materials safety data sheets (MSDS), COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health) assessments and safe working practices are so important.

Yes, many of the chemicals used by nail technicians can be hazardous if not used correctly (e.g. acrylic monomer, acetone, etc) - some of the risks being an allergic reaction if monomer gets in contact with the skin (overexposure) - and likewise the fumes can cause migraines etc if you don't have adequate ventilation.

Also, some people may be more sensitive to the chemicals than others - but if you follow safe working practices in an environment with adequate ventilation, then you'll definitely be minimising the risk (I've only read posts from a small minority of people on here who have actually had problems due to reactions to chemicals etc).

I think just about any profession can have health issues. My son is a roofer and his partner was knocked off a two story roof by one of the machines used to bring shingles to the roof. He broke so many bones in his body and is now on a long road to recovery.

IMHO, you have to exercise CAUTION with just about any job...especially professions that utilize chemicals. That's why it imperative to use the proper 'tools' of the trade, including EMA and NOT MMA.

I have read articles that state using MMA (not legal in the US but still used) is causing cancer and breathing difficulties amongst nail technicians who use that chemical in their L&P applications.

Again, exercising caution and common sense go along way. And like you stated, if it were so bad, would so many do this for a living?

HTH! :)

Last edited:
Ruth is so right with the advice given ... make sure you train with a provider that understands the risks and teaches you how to work safely.

Enhancment products heve been used successfully by nail technicians for over 30 years for goodness sakes ... do you not think, in today's environment, that in that time if there was a real risk to personal health it would not have been exposed by now??

I remember Doug Schoon telling me once that no chemical is unsafe if you work with it with full knowledge of how to work safely. The products we use are not radioactive for flips sake ... they are perfectly safe if you follow good common sense when using including the manufacturers' instructions.

I think just about any profession can have health issues. My son is a roofer and his partner was knocked off a two story roof by one of the machines used to bring shingles to the roof. He broke many bones in his body and is now on a long road to recovery.

IMHO, you have to exercise CAUTION with just about any job...especially professions that utilize chemicals. That's why it imperative to use the proper 'tools' of the trade, including EMA and NOT MMA.

I have read articles that state using MMA (not legal in the US but still used) is causing cancer and breathing difficulties amongst nail technicians who use that chemical in their L&P applications.

Again, exercising caution and commons sense go along way. And like you stated, if it were so bad, would so many do this for a living?

HTH! :)

Definitely - can't agree more there! That's another reason why it's so important to only use professional products (which shouldn't contain MMA monomer) after having been given the proper training and adhere to all relevant health & safety regulations.

Thank you all for your comments
Catherine :)

I am not a nail technician myself, but one of my tutors at college was and she told us that there is an ingredient in some substances used in the UK (in acrylics i think) that has been banned in most countries as it is harmful when inhaled and has been linked to cancer. It is usually the small cheap nail salons that use this, maybe you should look into it if you are concerned, as I am not sure what the ingredient was.

In my opinion, as long as you do your research and understand your products, use good quality stuff from brands you trust, and follow health and safety regulations (i.e. ventilation systems and weraing face masks) you should be ok :)

As is often the case Geeg is right on the money.

To also add mma is not a carcinogen (hence why it is used in dental fillings and as bone cement in orthopedic surgery). It is however a powerful allergen and skin sensitizer. It is actually not banned in any country. But in a few (such as MOST US states) it is prohibited from use in the beauty industry in monomer form due it's unsuitability

Allergies and skin irritation represent the greatest threat to technicians. And MANY have to give up their careers because they don't understand the risk or are not taught about it... Still scared me that we don't all know this information ...

Please read the article link below - it will help a lot with protecting your safety and career

Science Topic: Allergies

Last edited:
Interesting to have this thread resurrected after such a long time because the topic is always current and there was recently a thread closed that pertains to this subject, because As usual, when outraged at the lack of good education on so called nail courses these days, I speqak out and some decide to take negative comments about lack of education personally, and to be abusive to those who speak out about it ... well the fact is that due to the appalling education around for nails, and short courses etc, there are now thousands of people using nail products on people's bodies that they do not have the first clue about how to use safely ... they don't possess MSDS ( What are those??) they don't even know what chemicals they are using or about COSHH. This situation is just plain wrong, and although many people go into this profession thinking it is easy, thinking a short course will teach them all they need to know (or even a long course !!) the fact is that they do no, so now the thing to do if one has been a victim of bad training is to start to learn the things you should know in order to work safely and to class yourself as on the way to being a professional.

Interesting to have this thread resurrected after such a long time because the topic is always current and there was recently a thread closed that pertains to this subject, because As usual, when outraged at the lack of good education on so called nail courses these days, I speqak out and some decide to take negative comments about lack of education personally, and to be abusive to those who speak out about it ... well the fact is that due to the appalling education around for nails, and short courses etc, there are now thousands of people using nail products on people's bodies that they do not have the first clue about how to use safely ... they don't possess MSDS ( What are those??) they don't even know what chemicals they are using or about COSHH. This situation is just plain wrong, and although many people go into this profession thinking it is easy, thinking a short course will teach them all they need to know (or even a long course !!) the fact is that they do no, so now the thing to do if one has been a victim of bad training is to start to learn the things you should know in order to work safely and to class yourself as on the way to being a professional.

I agree - I find it shocking that in so many areas of nails and beauty, a lot of therapists are paying for courses that don't seem to deliver the basics, and they can get insurance! They then come and ask questions that they should know the answers to, but poor training has left them bereft. I only feel great sympathy for those left hugely out of pocket! Where are the training standards!!!

Couldn't agree more, I completed L2 VRQ and L3 NVQ over two years at college but most of my nail and beauty education has come from salon geek over the last few months as I've become more and more motivated to become the best beauty therapist/nail technician I can be. I wish my college course was as informative as this, it genuinely worries me that some of the girls who were on my course are qualified and allowed to perform treatments on the public! Can't thank you and others enough Geeg as you have given me 100% more education than any of my college tutors ever have just from reading your posts!

Couldn't agree more, I completed L2 VRQ and L3 NVQ over two years at college but most of my nail and beauty education has come from salon geek over the last few months as I've become more and more motivated to become the best beauty therapist/nail technician I can be. I wish my college course was as informative as this, it genuinely worries me that some of the girls who were on my course are qualified and allowed to perform treatments on the public! Can't thank you and others enough Geeg as you have given me 100% more education than any of my college tutors ever have just from reading your posts!

Thanks, Holly. Makes a change from me being called names by those who have made bad choices or just uninformed choices and then call me rude, unhelpful, demeaning, belittling and other words for just telling the truth which is that more training is needed if you find you are behind. A little humility is a wonderful thing.

Latest posts

Back