Heartburn

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingertips ND

Brand New Mummy Geek
Reaction score
I need help drastically!

My heartburn is really making me uncomfy and at times it is really painful.

I gave up milk in the morning as I figured that was what was triggering it but I don't think it is!

I have rennies and peptac but they don't seem to be working.

Can anybody please please help me with any tips, recommended foods/products, etc. or any info on what i should/shouldn't be eating.

go to your doctor and they will prescribe something for you, I used to drink Gavascon plus like it was going out of fashion. Avoid spicy, fatty foods and don't eat too close to bed time and sit upright.

Love heart sweets worked for me !

get some zantac they ara a little tablet you take with water and i use them all the time.Have you noticed when you get it bread and wine do it for me i have cut the bread down but the wine NO it is my little treat i take one in the morning before i eat and it starts working so you dont get the acid and then take a tablet and have to wait untill it starts working.Next time you get heartburn think back to what you have eaten .Also tesco do there own indigestion and heartburn tablet it is cheaper and as good as zantac and is called ranitidine you can get it from the pharmacy or the shop floor you will find it near asprins and gaviscon blue box.hth

Yep, l agree with Sassys post.
Off to the Docs with you for some lovely Gaviscon, it really helps, just dont be tempted to swig from the bottle....lol
And try not to bend over too much!
It should'nt last too much longer Hun, when baby stops pushing you insides upwards, i.e after the birth, the heartburn vanishes, well mine did! xx

I looked though an old handbag the other day and there was a packet of Gaviscon tablets in there left over from when I was pregnant!!! With my daughter I suffered the whole way through, and lived on Gaviscon tablets - the liquid stuff tastes gross!!

Upside is, as soon as the baby is out it should go away!

go to your doctor and they will prescribe something for you, I used to drink Gavascon plus like it was going out of fashion. Avoid spicy, fatty foods and don't eat too close to bed time and sit upright.

My peptac is on prescription hun!

It doesn't work and gaviscon is the same stuff just worse tasting.

soz diddent relize you where pregnant. milk will help heartburn as it will get rid of the acid only for a short while though i used to get it when i was pregnant and i was neally sick with it the doctor will only give you gaviscon you might as well get it from him as you dont have to pay.Like the others say try and sleep sitting up a bit my neighbour is 8 months and she is suffering as well.

get some zantac they ara a little tablet you take with water and i use them all the time.Have you noticed when you get it bread and wine do it for me i have cut the bread down but the wine NO it is my little treat i take one in the morning before i eat and it starts working so you dont get the acid and then take a tablet and have to wait untill it starts working.Next time you get heartburn think back to what you have eaten .Also tesco do there own indigestion and heartburn tablet it is cheaper and as good as zantac and is called ranitidine you can get it from the pharmacy or the shop floor you will find it near asprins and gaviscon blue box.hth

Can you take it in pregnancy?

Bread makes me better tbh and doesn't make it burn.

gaviscon normally owrks for me but it pregnancy it didnt do a thing:irked: i was bad with heartburn from 5 months when i had james, the only thing that worked was some lemon tasting white stuff from the docs , cant remember what the name was though, you could maybe ask your midwife she might know , sorry i cant be of more help hun, hope you get it sorted out , xx

Just saw my doc yesterday hun. with the same prob and you know I'm pregnant too. She prescribed 'Gaviscon Advance' (the regular wasn't working, but this does!) You can also buy small bottles ( from pharmacist only though - you can't pick it up from the supermarket shelves) Tastes yuck but does the trick. May as well get a prescription for a big bottel though - you'll get through it and its not cheap, so take the freebie!

Fruit juice was my worst enemy - but I'm afraid its just a side effect of pregnancy, as food is in effect staying in our system so much longer, so we can leach every last bit of goodness out of it for baby. When food 'hangs' around longer it produces gas and acid - hence heartburn.

I feel physically sick at the moment!

I am bloody fed up and should have started maternity leave by now but as I chose to have longer at home after the birth I am still here for another 7 wks

I am bloody fed up and should have started maternity leave by now but as I chose to have longer at home after the birth I am still here for another 7 wks

Awwww it's not too long to go now Vicky! As you know I'm also suffering with heartburn but it will all go when the baby is born... at least I hope so! I've not really ever suffered this badly, and sailed through my last pregnancy.... don't they say things get better nearer the end? Or am I wrong? :lol:

Aww, you poor thing - :hug::hug: :hug:

One thing that does temporarily help my sickness (and I've been dignosed with Hyperemisis) is Softmints - I've have eaten so many of them! But try the Gaviscon Advance - it really works for me. I swig it straight, but I think you can mix it with a little water if that makes it more palatable!

I sympathise hun I really do - at least you only got another 7weeks tho - I've got another 5 or 6 months!

i know it is daft but mints set it off worse!

i had a tic tac the other day and was nearly sick before i made it home!

I used to get really bad heartburn before my operation.

Things like butter, oily foods, pastry, and spicey foods used to trigger it. Then only thing apart from eating a chalky rennie or gulping yukky liqud like Gaviscon was sipping milk. But it wasnt a permanent relief. It came back after 30 mins.

Rennies, the chewy ones are the best and got rid for hours.
HTH xxx:green:

I used to get really bad heartburn before my operation.

Things like butter, oily foods, pastry, and spicey foods used to trigger it. Then only thing apart from eating a chalky rennie or gulping yukky liqud like Gaviscon was sipping milk. But it wasnt a permanent relief. It came back after 30 mins.

Rennies, the chewy ones are the best and got rid for hours.
HTH xxx:green:

I stopped cereal in a morning coz i worked out it was this causing it!

I started eating toast - now it seems the butter is doing me no good either as it comes in a morning.

I have tried the chewy ones but I was just saying to Caroline they only work for 5 mins.

My mum used to sip a little water, and eat something small like a biscuit, or a bit of bread. I really sympathise with you hun, I get it really bad, and I'm not even pregnant!!

Rennies work for me at the moment, or the gaviscon tablets. Try Gaviscon advance.

Sip a little water when you feel it getting bad, or milk, I find that works sometimes, just to stop it getting unbareable.

You need to eat something small to help to soak up the excess acid, like you said, bread makes it feel better.

I hope you are felling better soon :)

White shop-sliced bread is great - without butter, just dry - also helps with the sickness!!

I stopped cereal in a morning coz i worked out it was this causing it!

I started eating toast - now it seems the butter is doing me no good either as it comes in a morning.

I have tried the chewy ones but I was just saying to Caroline they only work for 5 mins.
Yep, butter prob won't help, it's grease, innit!
I myself am just about to have me a cup of lemon & ginger tea, this helps a little, but i find peppermint tea a bit better.
But if mints get to you, then maybe you should give the ginger a try.
Eating/drinking soup seems best on my stomach, nice & light.
And I'm not realy having proper meals most of the time. Same veg etc. but snacked on regularly, anything too heavy equals heart burn.

Latest posts

Back