Heated mitts - Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ps I use magis foils and they do a good job of retaining the heat in, plus I agree it usually takes 10mins for clients to decide what to have. You could also try to lightly buff off the top coat to help the acetone absorb quicker?!

On route to fire marshal training as we speak so I will ask the question, to me agreed electricity and acetone don't mix.

But as NancySyd has pointed out, there is no electricity - the gloves are switched OFF once they are heated, so I still can't see how they are going to spontaneously combust!

But as NancySyd has pointed out, there is no electricity - the gloves are switched OFF once they are heated, so I still can't see how they are going to spontaneously combust!

Fumes are dangerous ! Last week I did 2 days first aid training ! Lol so prob paranoid. But ob a serious note it's not Shellac protocol so try and find the cause rather than a solution !

I would imagine as has been mentioned already, it's the heat source that is the issue- you shouldn't be heating acetone. Mitts still retain their heat for a while after the mitts have been switched off. It's one thing warming acetone within two manicure bowls using warm water, but another using heated mitts.

To be honest I don't see any point in warming hands during removal, ten minutes it sufficient using wraps and acetone. If clients like the luxury of heated mitts how about applying lotion once you've finished shellac-ing, wrapping hands and place inside the mitts.

Xxx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I find Magi Wraps much quicker and more effective to remove Shellac. It just slides off particularly on the second hand which has had a bit longer. If there's any left on the first hand I just rewrap the foil and leave it till I've finished second hand and it wipes away easily. I think the foil keeps warmth in better than cnd wraps. Bit like wrapping your chicken after taking it out of the oven to keep it warm! ;)

On another note a friend had her gel polish (don't know which brand) removed by a salon recently and they used heated mitts. She had a very severe reaction to the heat and acetone. It was burning her fingers and she had to call the manager and ask for it to be removed immediately. She was sore for days. She has been having her nails done regularly for years but this was the first time someone had used heated mitts on her. No problems since with normal removal. I for one will be steering clear of the heated mitts route!

Has everyone got the correct yellow lockable fireproof cabinets and all the correct COSHH paperwork filled out and filed correctly with all the relevant extinguishers required for the use of Acetone....probably not!!! (not personal to anyone - just a point)! ..I can feel some people looking in their nail drawers/around and under their tables as I type.....

I would imagine as has been mentioned already, it's the heat source that is the issue- you shouldn't be heating acetone. Mitts still retain their heat for a while after the mitts have been switched off. It's one thing warming acetone within two manicure bowls using warm water, but another using heated mitts.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure that is not correct. It's not the heat, it's the ignition spark. Although acetone has a low flashpoint, it has a high point for ignition initiation energy - it needs a lot of energy to ignite it. So unless you heat it to its auto-ignition point (525ºC) or provide an ignition source, it is safe. Unplugged warmed mitts have neither the spark nor the heat to ignite acetone.

It is okay to heat acetone as long as it's done correctly - the bowl in hot water, for example. In fact, there are a few acetone soakers that heat the acetone, like the Sonic Touch. Still, electricity is the most common source of ignition in fires, so it is important to exercise caution using electricity around flammable substances.

Exercising caution would be enough for me to say don't mix an electrical heat source and acetone- whether on or off.. unless specifically designed for that purpose and having gone through stringent safety checks. Placing hands in a warm not hot towel would be sufficient. But as I said I see no reason for heated mitts being used in removal. The only issue of removal taking longer is really down to application. Xx

Last edited:
Hmm, I have been advised to do this for gelish removal. Works a treat, but this is worrying me now...

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Exercising caution would be enough for me to say don't mix an electrical heat source and acetone- whether on or off.. unless specifically designed for that purpose and having gone through stringent safety checks. Placing hands in a warm not hot towel would be sufficient. But as I said I see no reason for heated mitts being used in removal. The only issue of removal taking longer is really down to application. Xx

I agree, except that I think you have one point wrong. Once the mitts are not plugged in there is no electrical heat source, there is only heat. It doesn't matter whether the heat came from electricity, coals, hot water, flax bags, unless that heat gets incredibly hot (525ºC) there is no danger. I find heat a great asset in removing gel polishes, yes, even Shellac. And it is especially useful for rockstar or other application like that.

Last edited:
As I said I don't use it for shellac removal there is no need but on my Gellux training I was specifically told to use heated mitts to remove along with the Gellux remover (which is not pure acetone) as it's such a nightmare to remove & the heated mitts, I have found are the fastest way to remove it without damaging the nails. I checked every word of the instructions and it doesn't say anything about not using acetone or anything in them.

Sarah xx

I don't like these sort of threads lol
I've been on SG everyday for a few months now and I have sort of got to know who I would and wouldn't take advice from!
But this one has stumped me, because some of the people I would take advice from have different views on this!!
Not that I want to use heated mits with any of my nail coatings, I'm now intrigued to find out if it is safe or not and if it would void insurance?!
I think it need geeg to have her say :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Realistically, anything that comes under the manufacturer guidelines is acceptable for insurance purposes. A lot of times people use more luck than judgement with shortcuts to achieve the same result generally if it saves time, as time is money regardless if it is acceptable to do so. Acetone is a highly flammable substance which needs to be treated with respect, like most pressurised canisters and chemicals this is why regulations, procedures and standards are in place. However, common sense should prevail at all times. You will never stop people doing what they think is correct and acceptable this is probably why there are so many accidents with people pouring petrol on bonfires and bbq's.

Realistically, anything that comes under the manufacturer guidelines is acceptable for insurance purposes. .

This is a valid point. The question is, do any heated mitt manufacturers recommend or suggest that their product be used with acetone to aid gel polish removal? If not, why not? Surely this would be a huge new market for them.

I'd just like to point out Bio Sculpture sell heated mitts for gel removal x

I'd just like to point out Bio Sculpture sell heated mitts for gel removal x

That's a game changer. If the mitt and gel polish manufacturers recommend it, then it's obviously ok.

I don't believe that any heat source will make a significant difference to the already super fast removal time for Shellac. Add on the extra cost of the mits, the plastic liners, the towelling inserts, the electricity, and the time it takes to do all that (and undo all that). ... As a Shellac user, I simply wouldn't bother. Fortunate not to have to aren't we?

As to using heated mitts to help speed up the lengthy removal time of some gels, if I were forced to use them then I would, with care and taking all precautions, and definitely turning the heat off while the hands are in the mitts, be tempted. I'm sure that many with a modicum of sense would work safely, with some knowledge and take care and have no problems at all ... The ones I worry about are the ones who have no training and very little sense or knowledge of what could happen and end up doing some real damage, if not to a person, to their things.

I would think COSHH would disapprove and your insurers.

Many a microwave has set been alight by people heating acetone before enhancement removal (they only do it once). I have also heard of several cases where members of the kitchen mafia have warped plastic basins and sinks by incorrectly disposing of acetone after doing someone's nails. Wrecked table tops, and ruined clothes, carpets etc.

Shellac users do not have to resort to heat to help with removal .. So I would say steer clear and "if it works, don't fix it!!"

Acetone has a very low boiling point of 56°C (not sure where the figure of 525°C comes from ... That is nearly 1000°Fahrenheit !!!) and a low flash point too, when there is a source of ignition. Even with no source of ignition, I wouldn't want to subject any client to the discomfort of the Acetone being too hot. Unlikely it would get that hot, if insulated as well as some say they do but ... It's just another thing that most wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Acetone has a very low boiling point of 56°C (not sure where the figure of 525°C comes from ... That is nearly 1000°Fahrenheit !!!) and a low flash point too, when there is a source of ignition. Even with no source of ignition, I wouldn't want to subject any client to the discomfort of the Acetone being too hot. Unlikely it would get that hot, if insulated as well as some say they do but ... It's just another thing that most wouldn't know.

525ºC is the ignition point, that is, the point at which acetone will auto-ignite i.e.,without any source of ignition. The flashpoint of acetone is a mere 4ºC, the flash point being where it becomes an ignitable vapor in air - that requires a source of ignition. That low flash point is why acetone is highly flammable. The boiling point is something completely different.

But I think the point of all this is that while acetone is a safe solvent, its big downside is its extreme flammability and appropriate cautions should be taken whenever it is around.

I have never intentionally heated up acetone. Doesn't this increase the vapours leaving aside it's obvious flammability :-0 If I was going to warm it I would opt for it being enclosed in a warm space like a warmed mitt or a towel. Doesn't foil warm it? Do people seriously heat acetone in a microwave? Oh my goodness

Latest posts

Back