Help & advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulnails03

Reaction score
Help! I am having trouble with un-supportive friends and need advice.

My best friend went elsewhere whilst I was away just after Christmas.
She had white tips applied, and just had clear acrylic over them.

She never said anything and came back to me for a re-balance as thoiugh she hadn't been elsewhere, and then 2 weeks later asked for a soak-off & new set.

Then on Saturday asked if I had the white tips as she didn't want pink & whites because she liked the way the other lady did them. I was really offended as I am Creative trained, she has been coming to me for 2 years, and I do not cut corners in anyway I apply extensions.

I told her that I only apply nails the way I have been trained as it is relaible, and I find I get a better result.

What I wanted to say was "If you have a problem with the way I do nails then go elsewhere!"

I then went out for my birthday on Saturday & our another friend came up and told me how she had her spray tan & nails done at this other Salon. I asked why she couldn't come to me, and she said "Oh, well it was last minute!"

I have got to the point where I am boiling with anger that they show me no support or respect! They always fail to comment when I have done anything new to the Salon or ask me how it is going. One of them has only ever seen my Salon twice, and I have had a new Sign put up which they didn't even comment on.

It might seem like I am being silly, but it is really off putting. Then to ask me to do nails the way somebody else does like my way is wrong knocked me totally.

I am Creative trained and proud, I have worked hard for what I have got. But I have reached a point where I am so down hearted about it. However at the same time it is making me want to aim higher and become the best of the best.

Any advice on Friends like these?

Victoria x

Any advice on Friends like these?

Well I would say they are not true friends, Because you don't treat friends like they are treating you.
I would let them go elsewhere to have their nails done if thats what they want to do, You just stick to clients and friends you know will stick with you,
And keep doing the enhancements the way you were trained to do :hug:

Like Lell, I agree that they aren't behaving like true friends and supporting you in the way you would like. Somehow you just have to shrug it off and move on and get on with doing what you're doing - personally, I wouldn't rise to it at all and carry on like I didn't have a care in the world. Focus on looking after your clients and if and when they come running to you for a service, just make sure you treat them exactly the same as any client - usual standard prices and service! They might then learn the value of friendship and support!

Victoria,
I have similar problems with family - particularly my mother in law and sister in law. They both have manicures and pedicures occassioanly and never ask me to do it. I did make a statement once that the freebies have stopped and that everyone would at least have to pay something, I think that rubbed them up the wrong way despite the fact that theyd never been to see me before and got used to having it doen for free or anything like that.

My SIL has shown off the colour on her toes before now saying how lovely it was and aplogising for not giving me a thought but I think when it comes down to it, they think I'm not experienced enough.

I used to be really dissapointed and couldnt understand why they wouldnt support me but now it doesnt bother me. I've treated loads of clients since the early days and all have been perfectly happy and have come back for more.

I say carry on what you are doing, ignore them, they obviously dont appreciate what you do and thats their problem.

Good luck in everything you do.

I have found this over the years! Friends and business don't often mix too well.

As a friend, some expect 'mates rates' for the same professional service you offer the paying public, eventhough you take just as long.

It is difficult to get them to book an appointment to plan your time, as they're 'always around' and like to keep it casual! So you end up squeezing them in at the last minute, and making sacrifices in your own time.

They don't look after their tans/nails/skin as well as your customers - because they know you will sort it out and not give them a hard time like the salon up the road.

I had a 'friend' who was so excited when I got my St Tropez kit as it meant a cost price tan once a week, and she would spray me in return - but only if it was convenient to her!!! The idea was she would help promote it for me, but I never once had a new client as a result, just lots of grief, and was seriously out of pocket over the tan - as she splashed it all over the place!

I have come to the conclusion that, love my mates as I do, I can't rely on them to support my business. That has to stand alone and support itself! If they choose to come to me it's great, less like working and more fun, but if they don't, then I mustn't take it personally. Just work hard at being the best you can be and they should want to use you anyway.

If not, then they are losing out. Friends is Friends, but business is business.

xxxxx

sometimes friends ask to much and expect to much too! I didi have a girlfriend who allways was late for appts , said she would pay .................me later 2 weeks later would drop the money off, that was never right, as it was usually discounted, she never looked after her nails.... the list goes on! Let them go to an other salon.... they have got to try them to appreciate how dedicated you are! You aare spending negative energy on them ,not sure if they are worth it! spend that energy on finding new buisness. You know when the wardrobe is full and you have a chuck out, maybe you might want to have a life sort out! They are not worthy of you!!

caroline

exactly... since when were they qualified to advice you!!
lell said:
Well I would say they are not true friends, Because you don't treat friends like they are treating you.
I would let them go elsewhere to have their nails done if thats what they want to do, You just stick to clients and friends you know will stick with you,
And keep doing the enhancements the way you were trained to do :hug:

sugarbabe said:
Friends and business don't often mix too well.
Friends is Friends, but business is business.

Blimey - those must be two of the truest statements I have ever heard.

I would suspect there is a touch of 'overwhelmed' for them, and a small element of jealousy (in the case of the one who doesn't even mention anything new/good)

I found a few of my friends don't come to me because they think I'm busy and don't need the business (if only!!)

Some don't feel comfortable mixing business with pleasure

Some still see me as an office worker (former life) not a Nail Tech and my name doesn't spring to mind when they want nails doing

Some think I'm not experienced enough - despite being a Master Tech now!

It's also easy to forget that whilst nails are at the forefront of everything we do, think, eat, breathe, and sleep - our friends have different priorities and get swept along in their own problems etc. and sometimes just don't see what is right under their nose!

Don't be down - we still think your great :hug:

Trin
xx

I know how you feel Victoria :cry:

Someone I know asked me to do her daughter's nails for her, and on the morning of her appointment, she called to cancel giving a very feeble excuse.

Anyway, the next thing I hear is that she's had them done elsewere, and that most of her nail enhancements have fallen off on the same day they were applied :lol: :!:

Although I was furious about the late cancellation, in a very evil kinda way, I was delighted that she had received "her just desserts". :evil:

karen noodle said:
I know how you feel Victoria :cry:

Someone I know asked me to do her daughter's nails for her, and on the morning of her appointment, she called to cancel giving a very feeble excuse.

Anyway, the next thing I hear is that she's had them done elsewere, and that most of her nail enhancements have fallen off on the same day they were applied :lol: :!:

Although I was furious about the late cancellation, in a very evil kinda way, I was delighted that she had received "her just desserts". :evil:

I think they call it karma......

xxxxxxxx :lol:

Hiya, don't let them get to you, whats been said above is spot on.
One day they may need you and your fab nails and then wont they feel silly. I use to work for Next Directory and you could only take family into the staff shop unless it was family and friends day. My mates used to ask all the time to go and i would say.."do i ask you to risk losing your job for me, then don't ask me to"
It will always hurt you that they have done this but try not to fall out over it, let them go elsewhere and you can take the pleasure of knowing that there nails don't look as good as if you had done them.

Chin up babes xxxx

try not to stress too much hun , friends can be a bit like that sometimes , it may be they thought it was cheeky to ask you at last minute , but probably they are a bit jealous , where abouts in leeds are you ?, i will come and have a look at your lovely salon and tell everyone how nice it is !!

People can be weird like that sometimes. Maybe they think you will be mad if they tell you they are having problems?

Ok...Ok I dont have my own business, but I do have friends. So hopefully I'm qualified to post this reply!lol

Basicly I just wanted to say that some people just don't undersatnd passion! Ok I can see you frowning with confusion!
Alot of unlucky people haven't fround thier passion in life ( not us geeks were passionate people!) and they do not understand what its like when you are working towards a goal or dream. So when friends dont visit you for a manicure etc they dont think much of it they don't see it as them letting you down.

I feel similar when I start talking about nails, nail coureses or nail art and my friend roll thier eyes and stop listening. I can understand if they dont share my passion but support is all I'm after.

hope that makes sense!:confused:

Thanks for your advice guys.

My 2 'friends' have just become really catty, and really self involved. So I have just decided to leave them too it.

Recently my friend from school died, just before Christmas, it was a terrible thing and I miss her, but I got no support from the above two at all.

However, it put me back in touch with a couple of my old school friends, and so something good came out of it. They come and see my Salon often and they always have nice things to say.

A lot of the time, they just arrange to pop in for a coffee, which is such a welcome relief, as the other 2 only call me when they want something.

So I've noticed the difference between them which is a bit saddening. But when I post on here there are so many people who show support that it makes things a trillion times better! :Love:

Thank you very much,
Victoria x

it sound like you have figured them out?

Yeah, just ignore them! :lol:

Seems to have worked for time being as one of them is now booking in advance!

I know it won't last, but at least I know now why the are the way they are, and more importantly that the rest of you have the same trouble! :wink2: :lol:

Victoria x

It is all true. Since I have stuck 2 fingers up at MiL & SiL I feel no need to justify my work to them nor anyone! I am happy in my work and if I'm not earning than its my business not theirs. Have recently neglected my friends thinking that everyone had this attitude and when I met my partnrs bro ex. She told me that she got the same treatment from MiL and that she was so proud of me and thought it was brill that I was ambitious! Herself an ex- student and now a teacher - I'm very proud of her and glad that she agreed to be my hand model or I wouldnt b here today!!

Latest posts

Back