Help! Am I being treated unfairly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylieNails

Reaction score
I qualified in nails in July time, I'm just starting my business and currently renting a space in a salon, its £20. Day and I had to buy my own nails table and. Towels etc I'm not even aloud to Use the salon bin because it " costs to get rid of the rubbish " AND she expects her nails done every week and a half (taken off and redone ) and when I don't have time she just helps her self to my self bought polishes ! I also get packages delivered to the salon as nobody's at home usually and my neighbors can't be trusted.. and she opens them without my permission!!!!!!! Wth I don't wanna say anything too harsh cause I need somewhere to rent and she doesent seem like she could handle it. There is so much.more to this story but its late and I'm tired.lol please could.someone advise.me on what to do.or say ! Thanks kaylie xx

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

If you rent a room you are self employed. Which means she is not your boss as such. You are in charge of your stock and your business and if you don't want her touching your stuff you are well within your right to tell her. Personally I would shop around for somewhere else to rent, you can get a much better deal. Xx

Think I'm gonna have to I rented somewer on trial but it was too far from home , she offered 60 a week t start ahe provided a nail table and I had a separate room for ky beauty aswell so I know how much better deals can be ill just have t break it to her that I may have to move xx

One of the reasons why I left a salon I used to rent a space in. Was sick of the hairdressing staff using my stuff when I wasn't there.
She's got a flippin cheek opening your mail. Either tell her straight or find somehwhere else to rent. It may be her premises but you still have rights.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thankyou _ I didn't know wether I was over reacting but I shall tell her Thursday and see what Happeneds and I will let u know. Fingers crossed lol x

I just looked it up o line and it seems to be illegal if you open someone else's mail?

That's out of order, I guess she doesn't pay for her nails to be done either?
Look for somewhere else and I can't imagine it changing.
Good luck what ever you decide

I just looked it up o line and it seems to be illegal if you open someone else's mail?

That's correct, only Royal Mail staff can open it, the police have to hand it to the staff lol.

It's a simple way to see this. If its yours then its yours and sometimes we need to sound selfish, tell her to not touch your stuff as you don't go touching hers. And your other option is leave and get somewhere new xoxo

Do u pay rent at the end of each week?
Inform her it is illegal to open someone's mail then if she does it again report her.

If it was me when it came to paying the rent I would deduct the treatment she's had or the products she's used from the rent and give her a receipt. She'll soon stop I'm sorry to say but it sounds like a form of bulling

Kaylie i would tell her staright hun... Is there a contract between the 2 of you? if she doesnt like what you tell her she may ask you to leave.

I think you should look eleswere and take this as a lesson learned, that way you can start a fresh and tell the new salon you work inn exactly what you excpect.

Maybe you could send her an e-mail or letter and tell her if she doesnt stop you will leave. Things may come across better and more proffesional if you are angry. Not only that she can choose to talk with you or say nothing, at least she knows what you think/want. This option has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!!! let us know how it goes

Marie x

I did personally think it was illegal , Thankyou for confirming that, and
No we don't have a contract as
Such only a verbal agreement, am I entitled to a week off near crimbo ? ( didn't want one but was told I have to work ) I had a phone convo with het today and I brought up that I can't afford the rent and her basic response was "that's what happens when you work for your self" the worst of it Is she thinks she's cutting me an amazing deal!!! She also patronises me infront of clients (hers&mine) and yeah I would say it was a form of bullying too to be honest but she makes out that she's a bit thick so she gets away with it .. when I approach situations I usually don't do it right or as nice as I could that's why i needed to know if I was over reacting and how to approach it , thanks guys ! I will have words tomorrow I think. Xx Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Just,been reading this thread, she cannot tell you as a,self employed person when you take holiday! My other,half works for hmrc and they are coming down very,harshly on employers who treat self employed,staff like employees! It is not on hun. I hope things get sorted for you xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Such only a verbal agreement, am I entitled to a week off near crimbo ? ( didn't want one but was told I have to work )

you are self employed....which means you're your own boss....you get to make your own hours NOT her. She has no say in how you run your business!

I think it's time you move on. She obviously doesn't respect you or your business.

Can you do mobile treatments or treatments from home until you find another location?

Thankyou _ I didn't know wether I was over reacting but I shall tell her Thursday and see what Happeneds and I will let u know. Fingers crossed lol x

I would look for somewhere else u need to be able to trust the people you work with. One of the hairdressers u use to work with was forever using my stufd and even started taking it home without my permission

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I would look for somewhere else u need to be able to trust the people you work with. One of the hairdressers u use to work with was forever using my stufd and even started taking it home without my permission

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

God that's shockingly ridiculous ! Hasn't got to that stage with me yet thank god but I'm gonna go searching to rent next week xx

Such only a verbal agreement, am I entitled to a week off near crimbo ? ( didn't want one but was told I have to work ) I had a phone convo with het today and I brought up that I can't afford the rent and her basic response was "that's what happens when you work for your self" the worst of it Is she thinks she's cutting me an amazing deal!!! She also patronises me infront of clients (hers&mine) and yeah I would say it was a form of bullying too to be honest but she makes out that she's a bit thick so she gets away with it .. when I approach situations I usually don't do it right or as nice as I could that's why i needed to know if I was over reacting and how to approach it , thanks guys ! I will have words tomorrow I think. Xx Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Are you paid by her or do you pay her? If she pays you you are employed and so can expect all the pro's of employment, if you pay her (rent commission whatever) you are self employed as have to take the ups with the down (and that includes paying rent when you can't afford it) and such choose when you work, what you charge, wear everything as its your business within their property. Xoxo

She doesnt sound trustworthy to the extent that i would make sure you move you stuff out of the room before you tell her that you want to leave.

She doesnt sound trustworthy to the extent that i would make sure you move you stuff out of the room before you tell her that you want to leave.

I 100000000000% agree ! And I will be doing that

I had a male boss years ago that used to open all my mail and It drove me mad, Until one day I decided to get my own back and as he was a really prudish I ordered stuff off Anne Summers and had it shipped to the office, needless to say after opening that package he never opened any of mail again!

Hahahahaha good idea ! Well some stuff of mine has gone missing I don't wanna blame/accuse her but who else. Could.it.be

Latest posts

Back