Help and advice needed from fellow geeks!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimsay

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

This is my first ever post so I don't know if this is the correct place to post this type of question so apologies if not!

I started my part time adult Level 2 Beauty Therapy Diploma on Tuesday evening, all very exciting!! But I have stumbled across an issue that I don't know how to deal with!?

I met this really lovely girl who sat next to me in the salon, we then had some getting to know games, interviews etc as the person you were sitting next to would be your partner for the rest of the year - all great. I noticed that my partner had a nasty looking cold sore on her lip but as we weren't doing anything practical I didn't really think too much about it.

Last night we started our first unit, Facial Treatments. Our tutor spoke about contra indications of not doing a treatment before, one being cold sores. So long story but I ended up working with another girl as my partner wasn't allowed to partake in giving or receiving due to her cold sore. The poor girl had to sit and watch and maybe out of embarrassment and to ease the situation she started talking about it. She revealed she caught it from kissing an ex, and she gets flare ups when she is run down, about 2-3 times a year. Im no Doctor and I don't mean to jump to conclusions but to me sounds very much like the Herpes Virus.

I am now in an awful position because as much as I don't want to upset the girl, or create a scene, I don't want to catch anything. I have nothing against her or anyone with anything like this!! I know reading too much information can not always be a good thing but i did some research and apparently (if it is Herpes) it can be spread through skin to skin contact. obviously being Beauty therapy there will be a lot of that involved. I have been looking forward to this course all summer and i'm now really worried any practical i'm going to be feeling really on edge that I could be exposing myself to something.

If anybody has found themselves in a similar situation before or can give me any help or advice I would be SO grateful!!

I have been reading this forum for a while now ( I already do Bio Sculpture and Shellac) and love how everyone helps one another out so couldnt think of anywhere better to go for friendly, professional advice :D

Thanks Geeks X

Hi, you should speak to your tutor about this situation. She will know how to deal with it. As far as I am aware, herpes virus is only transmitted from contact with an infectious area of the skin during reactivation of the virus.
That means she won't be able to give/receive facials at times she has the cold sore.

Yes, Cold Sore = Herpes Simplex

However, this is only one of many people you can 'catch' things from. The advantage of this person is you can see, the issue before you, most people however, you cannot. As a result, you must treat all people as if they have something, using universal precautions, this is something no doubt will come up soon within your course (in fact, it has already been touched on, during the information on contra-indications)

The fact is however, the chance is slim of you getting anything from anybody is minimal as long as you follow correct procedures and guildlines put in place to protect everyone, including your client catching anything from you.

So just relax, take all of the information in and enjoy your new course! :p

Hi nimsay and welcome to the forum. I hope I can put your mind at ease by explaining the following:

Cold sores (Herpes Simplex) are only contagious through contact if somebody has one. The Herpes Simplex virus is not only caused by contact as anyone can get one just by being stressed or ill.

When infected, and after the cold sore goes away, the virus does not go away as well... it just becomes dormant (it kind of goes into hibernation). This virus attatches itself to the nerves and can become active at any time, resulting in another cold sore.

Factors which bring it on can be, stress such as physical/mental exhaustion, illness, and believe it or not the sun. When the virus comes out of it's dormant phase it will appear in pretty much the same spot as before simply because it tracks along the nerves in that area.

I have suffered from them for many years and I always get it in the same spot on my bottom lip. I am only contagious when I have a cold sore though.

There is nothing to stop you from working on your partner and vice versa at college just so long as you both ensure there is not cold sore present at the time.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't panic too much- a lot of viruses are under the "herpes" umbrella, including cold sores, the STD herpes, chicken pox and other viruses. Cold sores are a minor infection, and only infectious while the sore is present. Def speak to your tutor as it will be a shame for u to start your course off with any concerns! They should be able to advise u and put your mind at ease x Who are u training with? I'm also hoping to start a part time course soon, wishing u loads of luck!! Xxx

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back