HELP Brisa Question!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I normally use soak off gel, however one client I recently used brisa gel on. She came for a fill 3 weeks later, all nails were perfect, no lifting, chips cracks, etc., I was thrilled!

So I did her fill, and a few days later, her right hand had some lifting and one popped right off. Her left hand was fine. My lamp bulbs are fine for sure. What do you think? I'm so careful with my prep, and I did the same thing the second time around, because I know brisa really requires a thorough prep. Please help, because she loves the look of the brisa french and I want to be able to use it.

Thanks!!!

Terri

Btw, in case you were going to ask: here's what procedure i did for the fill:

washed hands
buffed down gel, looked for any loose gel
cleansed
applied bonder (the bonder that doesn't require curing)
scrubbed in first layer of pink, cured 2 min
applied second coat being careful to build apex, cure 2min
applied white, cured 2 min
applied top coat, cured 2 min

THx

Oops, also pushed cuticles back and removed dead tissue of nail

Did you wash the cuticle remover off?

what file did you use to reduce the product down with?

If the left hand is fine, then it's probably down to something the client did, as you would have done the same procedure on both hands.

Unless you use two lamps of course, then chances could be that one is in need of a bulb change... But as you use Brisa the lamp would indicate it's time, so my money is on her doing something she doesn't normally.

I never have lifting on my own nails anymore, but have moved to a new place. so heavy cleaning in both places has caused my right hand to look, well not good, while left hand would be perfect if I hadn't caught one in a cupboard...:green:

I did use a pretty heavy duty file, one that i have for my biosculpture. What grit should I be using? Maybe that's part of the problem.

Yes, I did wipe off the remover, not that i used nail polish, because she had a french, but I used scrub fresh for wiping and cleansing.

thanks!

Terri

Scrub fresh wont remove cuticle remover and if that is left behind on the naile plate this can cause lifting. Get your clients to wash thier hands to ensure all cuticle remover is gone, then carry on.

Thank you so much for the tip.....it wasn't registering that you were talking about "cuticle remover," I kept thinking "polish remover", which I kept thinking was alot like scrub fresh, so now I get it! Thank you. Maybe I'll just skip the cuticle remover to begin with and just push cuticles back. What if I sprayed the nails with citrus soak and water?

Thank you so much for the tip.....it wasn't registering that you were talking about "cuticle remover," I kept thinking "polish remover", which I kept thinking was alot like scrub fresh, so now I get it! Thank you. Maybe I'll just skip the cuticle remover to begin with and just push cuticles back. What if I sprayed the nails with citrus soak and water?

You really need to remove any true cuticle from the nail plate so I would suggest you use CND Cuticle Away remove with a soap/water mixture then you need to remove any shine from the nail plate using nothing lower than a 240 grit file finishing by scrubbing with Scrubfresh :hug:

Thank you Karen. I will do that.

I never realized that cuticle remover couldn't fully be removed with scrub fresh. Maybe now I won't have problems with pocket lifting here and there??

Terri

If you use a file with a low grit i.e a harsh file such as a 100 grit to debulk with then you could actually be 'rattling' the product or loosening the bond between the product and the natural nail plate without realising. Make sure you use a file with a higher grit..I mostly always use a 180 grit and sometimes a 150 grit file to start (depending on what brand of files you use as well).

Thank you Karen. I will do that.

I never realized that cuticle remover couldn't fully be removed with scrub fresh. Maybe now I won't have problems with pocket lifting here and there??

Terri

Hi Terri,

The pocket lifting I think may be the real issue here rather than the rebalance... Hence why she lost the 'whole' nail after the rebalance and not just got lifting, this indicates the first set application has failed to adhere as well...

Pocket lifting has much more specific causes than general lift and breaks.
Namely:

1) Large amounts of force, sudden loss of adhesion from impact, this can also be replicated by repetitive knocking of the nail
2) product curing too tightly which transfers large force up to the apex and central product. Most common causes are: tips too tight, wet mix ratio (on L&P) too thick application for gel or very flat nails...

hth's

Okay......

She did not have tips or sculpted tips on, this was all nno. When I did her rebalance, it had been 3 weeks, so when I looked closely although there was no cracks or chips, there were a few that were "loose" at the top, which I clipped out what was loose from the free edge and buffed out. The nail that popped off was practically a newer nail if I remember correctly; there was hardly any gel left on it except for the very center of her nail.

What do you think?

Terri

I'm a bit confused now, wasn't it only on her right hand???? Her left was fine you wrote??? Or was the left with pocket lifting also???

If the left was fine, then I still stick to my theory about it being her, who knocked them:hug:

Sorry......

When she came back for her first fill, her nails looks fantastic after 3 weeks. I may have used too abrasive a file to do the rebalance, since I ended up having to take more gel off than I anticipated, some nails much more than others. When she came back for the repair the following week for her one nail that came off totally on her right hand, there was definately pocket lifting on 3 other nails of her right hand. Her left hand looked great.

Sorry if I confused you! So next time for sure I will have her cleanse her nails AFTER I use the cuticle remover (with more than just scrub fresh), and I will use a 100 or 180 grit file?

Just love the brisa, and myself I can only wear it as I'm allergic to soak off gels and acrylic. Any other suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

they were all on her right hand ... I would almost certainly believe in this case she is right handed and has been heavy handed with them.. otherwise, if it was something you had done there would be issues randomly across both hands..

Sorry......

When she came back for her first fill, her nails looks fantastic after 3 weeks. I may have used too abrasive a file to do the rebalance, since I ended up having to take more gel off than I anticipated, some nails much more than others. When she came back for the repair the following week for her one nail that came off totally on her right hand, there was definately pocket lifting on 3 other nails of her right hand. Her left hand looked great.

Sorry if I confused you! So next time for sure I will have her cleanse her nails AFTER I use the cuticle remover (with more than just scrub fresh), and I will use a 100 or 180 grit file?

Just love the brisa, and myself I can only wear it as I'm allergic to soak off gels and acrylic. Any other suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

I wouldnt use a 100 this is far too abrasive...only use a 100 for reducing the length of the free edge and straightening side walls but not for de-bulking.

they were all on her right hand ... I would almost certainly believe in this case she is right handed and has been heavy handed with them.. otherwise, if it was something you had done there would be issues randomly across both hands..

My thoughts also:green:

I only ever use 180 grit files on my brisa, it goes on so thin I don't need any lower... :hug:

Another thing to remember is if you have a client with a natural nail overlay use a file with a high grit like a kanga which is 240 to reduce the length as any higher could cause seperation or curling.
I only ever use a 180 grit to debulk on my Brisa nothing lower is needed as it is a dream to file.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back