HELP!! Calling Hair Extensionists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clazaridis

Reaction score
Hi,
So I posted on here a while ago about a client who had he hair extensions put in by a local hairdresser, she had allsorts of problems with them, the original hairdresser went back and applied nail hardner to the bonds......A few weeks later she called me and asked me to go and fill in the gaps where some had fallen out again as she could no longer seem to contact the hairdresser. I went and carried out a routine maintenance on the hair, general tidy up etc. She has had the original extensions in around about 3 months now maybe longer, she now has text asking if she buys a few packs of hair can I take out the ones that have grown down about and inch and a half and replace them, essentially dodging the cost of having them taken out and having a new full set applied. I told her last week when she contacted me that she needed to have them fully taken out and then I could put her a full set in, she has the Bohyme hair which I can do for around £300, she can't afford this so I think this idea of hers is just a cheap way of getting around the cost of the new set. My real question is, should I just firm up my original reply of she needs to have them out and have a new set, I have told her if she keeps them in much longer with the amount of re growth she will start to experience damage to her natural hair. Can someone please back me up or give me something to reply to her with? Thanks

im not a hair extentionist but i would stick to your uns and say she needs them taken out and replaced fully. as if it can cause damage to the hair theres always the chance of her taking legal action on you.

I personally wont touch anybody elses extensions including maintenace and removal, as you then could become liable for any damage caused when they were originally installed. I would ask her to have them removed preferably by her original extensionist and then come back and have the hair (if it's good enough quality) reapplied by you.
It's your reputation and needs to be protected!
;)

Well for a start I wouldn't be installing any hair she has bought herself because if she is trying to keep her costs down I can't imagine she will be buying quality hair so if you install it chances are she will blame you when her cheap hair gets tatty and matty.

Nobody should be wearing extensions much past three months, it would be better for the health of her hair if she were to have them removed. Go with your gut instinct and don't be made feel like you have to compromise your integrity. But whatever you decide to do please please don't be installing hair she has bought herself unless you know it's quality stuff.

hi. i dont do maintenence on someone elses work as its alot more hassle then its worth ... i tell them to go back to original person if they want it maintained..

i only offer to remove it for them as alot of the time they cant contact that person..but i make it clear that as i wasnt responsible for the application i am not going to be responaible for the condition of the hair once its been removed as i have no idea of knowing if it was applied professionally.. they sign a form agreeing to this also..

in regards to her using her own then yes you have no way of knowing the quality of the hair.... you just need to make it clear you are not responsible for the hair.. e.g matting etc .. you will only take responsibilty for the application.. and get something for her to sign ..
i have clients who get their own hair some to be cheap or because in some cases they are able to get it easily for example my russian client gets hair from russia cheaper then i offer..

i have 5 forms for this type of thing:D
£300 is more then reasonable i charge over £400 for bohyme hair..

but i would do a full removal and then re-apply so would stick to what you told her...

Thanks everyone, I have replied to her and explained I am not prepared to do what she asks. She is buying Bohyme hair as she has found the celebrity elite website........... I have explained that keeping hair extensions in for longer than 3 months (which she must have by now) can cause damage to the hair. I explained that if i just take 100 out and replace them, it will not look neat and would look a bodge job, I can't risk people seeing that as a representation of my work....

Hi , I too think it's far better to start afresh ....
I think leonnib, lucelastix and princessrach have given some excellent advice ,

I don't usually touch other peoples work unless it was for maintenance or removal ..... and I too would make them sign a form first too.

I think you have explained it too her nice and clearly , just be firm and don't let her talk you around with the
"Im so skint tales" .....
:) minky

I dont maintain anybody elses work, I will remove it and start afresh.

I have done quite a few consultations and explained what my costs are, they have then gone away and text me and ask if I could put less hair in for a cheaper price obviously my answer is NO!!

I have also had some clients question my prices how much for this and how much for that and if its done this way is it cheaper and that way cheaper. In the end I have stuck to my guns and basically said these are the prices if you dont like them go elsewhere.

They do come back lol

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I have replied to her and explained I am not prepared to do what she asks. She is buying Bohyme hair as she has found the celebrity elite website........... I have explained that keeping hair extensions in for longer than 3 months (which she must have by now) can cause damage to the hair. I explained that if i just take 100 out and replace them, it will not look neat and would look a bodge job, I can't risk people seeing that as a representation of my work....

yes you should defintely remove it otherwise its too messy and you want a clean start with your work only.. so people see your lovely work
it probably wouldnt make much difference cost wise then if she is still getting bohyme hair

in my salon i offer a hair extensions fitting and i offer the hair if they chose to provide their own hair thats fine.. its not a must for them to get the hair from me for me to fit it for them..
but 99% of people will as they dont know where to go or what to get and its obvioulsy easier etc..
just get her to sign something ...

p.s i like your pictures i had quick peek:D

Hi, I don't mind doing maintenance for them but only with a full assessment

1) if they can't get a hold of the original extensionist anymore
2) if the extensions are assessed by me as being ok and not problematic...

Then why turn a potential client away ?....

but if I asses it and I see that is a bad job with signs of root damage then I will recommend for them to be taken out asap , and let the hair recover
before I do an install

if they dont take my advice ..... that's when I do not touch it at all !.....

I will try to help people the best I can especially if the extensionist is nowhere to be found.... (as this is often the case)

but as others have said ..... you have to be very careful that they don't try to blame you for the other extensionists faults or tension spots ,
so keeping careful records is a must .

Hi, I don't mind doing maintenance for them but only with a full assessment

1) if they can't get a hold of the original extensionist anymore
2) if the extensions are assessed by me as being ok and not problematic...

Then why turn a potential client away ?....

but if I asses it and I see that is a bad job with signs of root damage then I will recommend for them to be taken out asap , and let the hair recover
before I do an install

if they dont take my advice ..... that's when I do not touch it at all !.....

I will try to help people the best I can especially if the extensionist is nowhere to be found.... (as this is often the case)

but as others have said ..... you have to be very careful that they don't try to blame you for the other extensionists faults or tension spots ,
so keeping careful records is a must .

thats so true i get so many call where they cant contact the extensionists .. if i had a pound for every person who this has happened id be very rich

i only offer to remove it for them as alot of the time they cant contact that person..but i make it clear that as i wasnt responsible for the application i am not going to be responaible for the condition of the hair once its been removed as i have no idea of knowing if it was applied professionally.. they sign a form agreeing to this also..

in regards to her using her own then yes you have no way of knowing the quality of the hair.... you just need to make it clear you are not responsible for the hair.. e.g matting etc .. you will only take responsibilty for the application.. and get something for her to sign ..
i have clients who get their own hair some to be cheap or because in some cases they are able to get it easily for example my russian client gets hair from russia cheaper then i offer..

i have 5 forms for this type of thing:D

Oohh i am sad arent i getting excited about the fact you have 5 forms for this sort of thing. Did you get these from The Academy you have trained with or have you had a solicitor draw them up for you? Where can i get some forms to cover my back from too is what i want to know. :o

Thanks for the responses. I have had a reply, I explained the risk of damage etc etc and said surely your original extensionist explained the issues with keeping them in too long.....? She didn't answer the question but came back with when can you do me a full set?? So pleased I stood my ground! I went a while back and had a good look over the hair and the extensions and her head and roots looked clear with no signs of damage etc, no red spots or bald spots. I'm now waiting for her to reply with when she wants me to go and remove the extensions, I think she was under the impression she could keep having them topped up and never needed them replacing. Leonnib, thanks for the comments on my pictures! Minky, still no joy with the NVQ, one college doesn't offer anything that I could fit around work and the other college hasn't replied since I said I wanted to do the part time route....the quest goes on!

Oohh i am sad arent i getting excited about the fact you have 5 forms for this sort of thing. Did you get these from The Academy you have trained with or have you had a solicitor draw them up for you? Where can i get some forms to cover my back from too is what i want to know. :o

hi yes my solicitor did them for me.. but think you can do them youself im not 100% sure but i dont see why not..
its different for whatever you offer obviously..

but i have my
1. hair extensions consultation form..
2. wig making consultation form
3. fitting only form(if they use there own hair)
4. form for different circumstances...... for e.g if im removal someone elses extensions .. i just write whatever the circumstances are e.g they agree to do this even though been advised of this etc...
5. satisfaction form ..to confirm they are happy with everything and have 7 days to come back if any issues... and to confirm they have recieved aftercare information
6. aftercare and maintenence information form
7.recieved refund confirmation (just to be on the safe side in case they say they never got there money back)

lol.. maybe too many but there are always people trying to pull a fast one ive learnt...
i scan them onto my pc so i dont have to have huge wads of paper everywhre and can print it off or view it online if i have to

Last edited:
hi yes my solicitor did them for me.. but think you can do them youself im not 100% sure but i dont see why not..
its different for whatever you offer obviously..

but i have my
1. hair extensions consultation form..
2. wig making consultation form
3. fitting only form(if they use there own hair)
4. form for different circumstances...... for e.g if im removal someone elses extensions .. i just write whatever the circumstances are e.g they agree to do this even though been advised of this etc...
5. satisfaction form ..to confirm they are happy with everything and have 7 days to come back if any issues... and to confirm they have recieved aftercare information
6. aftercare and maintenence information form
7.recieved refund confirmation (just to be on the safe side in case they say they never got there money back)

lol.. maybe too many but there are always people trying to pull a fast one ive learnt...
i scan them onto my pc so i dont have to have huge wads of paper everywhre and can print it off or view it online if i have to

Great advice leonnib.....
because fitting extensions these days with lots of different systems and methods you really have to be so careful ..... and aware about what the other previous extensionist has been doing to the hair (or not doing lol )
I find photos can be really good evidence too :)

Great advice leonnib.....
because fitting extensions these days with lots of different systems and methods you really have to be so careful ..... and aware about what the other previous extensionist has been doing to the hair (or not doing lol )
I find photos can be really good evidence too :)

yeah photos is a good idea .. definetely with new clients as lets face it...you never know!

Latest posts

Back