Help, French Shellac application, client not impressed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOUPIRIE81

Reaction score
hey fellow geekers,
need some help from a professional view! Done a customers nails today in shellac, french style and she wasn't happy with the result. The white was slightly too thick for her liking! What have i done wrong? Normally i can knock out a pretty good set of french shellac without the fear of the white being too thick or bulbous looking.

The client has recently purchase all the shellac stuff for use at home and has basically taught herself how to apply the product Throughout the whole entire process of the treatment she said, " oh i thought you done this, that, the next thing? oh wat are you doing this for?" etc. So pressure was on from beginning basically. So i applied my base coat, two thin layers of beau, then i opted for white! She was adamant she wanted studio white which in my opinion is softer white. I normally opt for cream puff applying one coat only and she wanted two of the white done. I advised her that it would appear softer but may appear slightly thicker on edge and that was fine with her. It was applied thinly as possible too to ensure this, then cured then top coat two of them nails came out slightly bulbous looking when looking on to apex of nail from close up on the side. The shape etc, was absolutely perfect and she picked up on them right away and said i am not happy with them.

I explained that they would appear slightly thicker due to extra coats applied during the process but as a goodwill gesture i offered a complementary application within next two weeks! However, i do in a way feel slightly miffed and backed up against the wall! So much so that I've lost my confidence with this treatment and I've asked my salon manager for some one on one time. Basically looking and doing some troubleshooting to see what i done wrong. I'm so annoyed at myself because she commented on the beauty of my lines and sidewalls said they were perfection i had created the perfect shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So where did i go wrong with the white application? please help?
:mad::Scared::sad::o

Last edited:
hey fellow geekers need some help from a professional view done a customers nails today in shellac french style and she wasnt happy with the result . the white was slightly too thick for her liking what have i done wrong normally i can knock out a pretty good set of french shellac without the fear of the white being to thick or bulbous looking. The client has recently purchase all the shellac stuff for use at home and has basically taught herself how to apply the product and throughout the whole entire process of the treatment she said oh i thought you done this that the next thing oh wat are you doing this for etc so pressure was on from beginning so i applied my base two thin layers of beau then i opted for white and she was adamant she wanted studio white which in my opinion is softer white as i normally opt for cream puff one coat and she wanted two of the white done i advised her that it would appear softer but may appear slightly thicker on edge that was fine with her and it was applied thinly as possible too to ensure this then cured then top coat two of them came out slightly bulbous looking when looking on to apex of nail the shape etc was absolutely perfect and she picked up on them right away and said im not happy with them i explained that they would appear slightly thicker due to extra coats but as a goodwill gesture i offered a complementary application within next two weeks however ii do in a way feel slightly miffed and backed up against the wall so much so that ive lost my confidence with this that ive asked my salon manager for some one on one time doing some troubleshooting to see what i done wrong im so annoyed at myself beacuse she commented on the beauty of my lines and sidewalls said they were perfection i had created the perfect shape so where did i go wrong with the white application please help :mad::Scared::sad::o

First of all do not be so bloody hard on your self!! There will be many more of her in your career.

Just because she has purchased a shellac kit god knows where from, she thinks she is a nail pro. If she was that good at doing it, why didn't she do her own nails?

Or was she trying to see how you actually apply shellac?

The reason why you may have a thick White free edge,might be because the studio was applied just that too thick. It has to be applied super thin with 2 coats and that way you won't get the ridge. You said you applied it thin, but did it look like a normal layer of shellac on the nail? There needs to be no bump!

Please don't worry yourself, just have a practise with the studio White on some tips/pops and you will fine x

Charge her extra for the free training you gave her sweetie!! 😃 when I get a client who is telling me how to do my job, I usually ask innocently" oh have you been licensed to do this"? You need to trust yourself, you know better and explain to them why your way is better. Keep your chin up😉

:hug:
aww thank you so much means so much to here someone say that!!!!!!!
She was very much asking me loads of questions and things and say i didnt know you done that and why do you do that aww they didnt do that at the last salon and she was watching absolutely everything i was doing and i said to her aswell because it was a french application it would take extra time which is clearly printed in our brouchers and website and i discussed this with her

i never normally use the studio white always cream puff as i know with the studio it needs two coats and they need to be extra thin two of them were slightly thicker at ends but only when you looked at the apex of the nail closely you could see.

i've just built my confidence up with the shellac and nails in general as they were one of my weakest treatments and after a few one to ones with my boss within the last month i've overcome the low confidence issues because its not that i cant perform the treatments well i most certainly can its that i lack confidence doing them and i get myself all worked up for no reason at all and ive sorted that eventually but just the way the client came across at the end was quite rude abrupt shes like. 'well i probably just remove them later anyway now'!

they really weren't that bad and i offered to remove and reapply the two she wasn't happy with but she snapped that she hadnt any time so instead of speaking to her in front of other clients when she was leaving the salon rather than leave the situation the way it was, i offered her removal and reapplication of shellac as a complimentary gesture or a treatment to the value of this on the house so she said shes busy at the moment but would have a think and give me a call at salon when she had time.

My boss even took me aside and said dont let this knock your confidence with the nails and that i could have a one on one session doing french to see if it troubleshoots the problem but just feel terrible as i know client wasn't 100% happy :sad:

can i just ask when you are applying the white do u apply it from side to center side to center to create the french tip or do u apply in a sort of ushape bend pulling downwards as my boss think it may be the fact i do it u shape like thats doing this xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Charge her extra for the free training you gave her sweetie!! 😃 when I get a client who is telling me how to do my job, I usually ask innocently" oh have you been licensed to do this"? You need to trust yourself, you know better and explain to them why your way is better. Keep your chin up😉
:hug: thanxs annow its something im working on and its not as though am terrible at doing nails etc i can knock ah good set out which are passable but i just lack the confidence in my own abilities to move it up a level and do that extra finishing touch to make them amazing my boss said although she says my colour application is superb so fingers crossed i dont convince myself i cant do it anymore got a one on one troubleshooting session with my salon manager just to make sure :confused:xx

she did ask if the training was really worth it etc and what we did etc and how much it cost etc and i said it was very good lots of tips tricks information tutorial and training etc with final application doen by us and that i wasnt obliged to tell her how much it cost because my boss paid for our training i just couldnt please her i offered a refund even although it was against salon policy she said no so offered her a complimentary application or another complimentary treatment to the value of it as a goodwill gesture and she said she would see just luckily i have a very understanding boss as many couldve been apprehended for doing that just feel as though she was very rude towards me and its made me feel worse and i lso feel as though ive let my boss down big time coz she was so proud of how far ive come with nails in general and yesterday i received my first public testimonial then today i couldnt have done any worse:irked: xx

How you apply it is personal preference. (regarding side to center, or u shape, I mean). I keep a small striper brush for thinner smile lines. When using the shellac brush, I wipe it "almost empty" before swiping the nail.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

How you apply it is personal preference. (regarding side to center, or u shape, I mean). I keep a small striper brush for thinner smile lines. When using the shellac brush, I wipe it "almost empty" before swiping the nail.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek
i think my first coats been a wee bit too thick on these two nails to begin with and i havent seent it from the angle i was at yeah i have a nice finely pointed gel brush i keep for creating really crisp smile lines just when looking side on at the nail you could see the white looked slightly thicker :eek: hopefully tomorrows troubleshooting session with my manager will help :cool:xx

After reading your other posts, and her declining a refund etc, I think she was just after hints & tips.

Like I said please don't let this one client discourage you, if she was honestly unhappy she would have asked to have them redone or taken up the offer of a refund/another shellac. Im not so sure you may see her again. Xx

hey fellow geekers need some help from a professional view done a customers nails today in shellac french style and she wasnt happy with the result . the white was slightly too thick for her liking what have i done wrong normally i can knock out a pretty good set of french shellac without the fear of the white being to thick or bulbous looking. The client has recently purchase all the shellac stuff for use at home and has basically taught herself how to apply the product and throughout the whole entire process of the treatment she said oh i thought you done this that the next thing oh wat are you doing this for etc so pressure was on from beginning so i applied my base two thin layers of beau then i opted for white and she was adamant she wanted studio white which in my opinion is softer white as i normally opt for cream puff one coat and she wanted two of the white done i advised her that it would appear softer but may appear slightly thicker on edge that was fine with her and it was applied thinly as possible too to ensure this then cured then top coat two of them came out slightly bulbous looking when looking on to apex of nail the shape etc was absolutely perfect and she picked up on them right away and said im not happy with them i explained that they would appear slightly thicker due to extra coats but as a goodwill gesture i offered a complementary application within next two weeks however ii do in a way feel slightly miffed and backed up against the wall so much so that ive lost my confidence with this that ive asked my salon manager for some one on one time doing some troubleshooting to see what i done wrong im so annoyed at myself beacuse she commented on the beauty of my lines and sidewalls said they were perfection i had created the perfect shape so where did i go wrong with the white application please help :mad::Scared::sad::o

If the white was bulbous you have applied the product too thickly.

:hug:
aww thank you so much means so much to here someone say that!!!!!!!
She was very much asking me loads of questions and things and say i didnt know you done that and why do you do that aww they didnt do that at the last salon and she was watching absolutely everything i was doing and i said to her aswell because it was a french application it would take extra time which is clearly printed in our brouchers and website and i discussed this with her i never normally use the studio white always cream puff as i know with the studio it needs two coats and they need to be extra thin two of them were slightly thicker at ends but only when u looked at the apex of the nail closely you could see. ive just built my confidence up with the shellac and nails in general as they were one of my weakest treatments and after a few one to ones with my boss within the last month ive overcome the low confidence issues because its not that i cant perform the treatments well i most certainly can its that i lack confidence doing them and i get myself all worked up for no reason atall and ive sorted that eventually but just the way the client came across at the end was quite rude abrupt shes like well i probably just remove them later anyway now!!!!!! they really weren't that bad and i offered to remove and reapply the two she wasn't happy with but she snapped that she hadnt any time so instead of speaking to her in front of other clients when she was leaving the salon rather than leave the situation the way it was i offered her removal and reapplication of shellac as a complimentary gesture or a treatment to the value of this on the house so she said shes busy at the moment but would have a think and give me a call at salon when she had time. My boss even took me aside and said dont let this knock your confidence with the nails and that i could have a one on one session doing french to see if it troubleshoots the problem but just feel terrible as i know client wasn't 100% happy :sad: can i just ask when you are applying the white do u apply it from side to center side to center to create the french tip or do u apply in a sort of ushape bend pulling downwards as my boss think it may be the fact i do it u shape like thats doing this xx

I really tried my best to read this - I even put my finger under the words, but I get to the fifth line and that's it, my eyes are gone all funny!

Sorry... I need paragraphs! ;)

So sorry guys i just realized the way i wrote this i totally apologize i couldn't get by the first couple of lines without my eyes feeling crossed over lol. Fixed it now i hope! Yeah the bulbous look was only on two of the nails and it wasn't visible looking straight on the nail, it's when i was looking side on at the nail i could see the thickness of the white towards the center of the smile line and the free edge :mad: at myself.

Thanks for the paragraphs deanosnana :)

LOUPIRIE81 this was a very awkward client and she was obviously making you nervous.

When you apply your French in two coats, it's really imporant to go thin. So the first coat should look patchy and because studio white is so sheer it can look almost see through, which is fine - it will look perfect on the second coat.

When you applied the first coat, I think you were trying to perfect it, (as she was more than likely watching you like a hawk) so when you applied the second coat, you were left with the product looking too thick.

Don't let this knock you... learn from it and move on and don't give yourself a hard time. :hug:

Thanks for the paragraphs deanosnana :)

LOUPIRIE81 this was a very awkward client and she was obviously making you nervous.

When you apply your French in two coats, it's really imporant to go thin. So the first coat should look patchy and because studio white is so sheer it can look almost see through, which is fine - it will look perfect on the second coat.

When you applied the first coat, I think you were trying to perfect it, (as she was more than likely watching you like a hawk) so when you applied the second coat, you were left with the product looking too thick.

Don't let this knock you... learn from it and move on and don't give yourself a hard time. :hug:

:hug: Thank you so much for that wee comment! When i read it a light bulb went off in my head cause you are exactly right! :)

Its the first time i have ever done french shellac using studio white. I was thinking to myself when applying that the first coat wasn't looking to great it looked slightly streaky looking so i probably over compensated with the second. Ii know clients want perfection and i want to give them perfection, but i do feel had the client been a bit more relaxed and less telling me what to do then i would've been fine!:confused:

But as you say its done with and i can only learn from the situation and put the whole incident behind. Hopefully my salon manager will be able to put any apprehensions and worry to rest tomorrow during our troubleshooting training.:eek:

Thanks for all your words of wisdom fellow geekers feeling bit better now;):) x

Latest posts

Back