Help!!Gel Or Acrylic Application on lifting prone Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesT

Reaction score
I need help with a client that is prone to lifting. She has really hooked nails. and prefers to wear her enhancements quite short and oval. Her nail beds are quite large and very curved. there is definitly a prononced c curve.

Sorry this is long but this is a little bit of her history...

She had acrylic before but I think that she was going to a shop that was using MMA. She says that her nails lifted from the skin when she used acrylic. She had lifting not only from the free edge but also some lifting from the sides. she said she was willing to try acrylic once more.

I know its hard to visualize her nails with out a photo...

I started doing her nails about 2 months ago. I did a full set of gel with tips. I did gel because She wanted to try something different. She normally has lifting at the free edge when the enhancement becomes an overlay. She said this happens even with acrylic. But the lifting from the free edge is so bad that I am trying to figure out different options. The cuticle area is very minimal and the sidewalls.

Is it best to keep on using gel or should I use acrylic? And should I scuplt instead of tips? Am I going to have to replace her full set more frequently due to her really hooked nails? I am lost on how to get this to work for her and I have her tommorow to start fresh with a new set again...... im nervous because I dont know what the best for her... Do you have any tips on how to work with this!!!

I think you need to do sculpture, my auntie has the same shape of nails and NEVER has lifting problems with sculptured nails.

Are the natural nails almost curling away from the enhancement??

Not sure if it would matter in this case which product you used. Just make sure you prep well and when you get to the stage of overlay that you ensure your product caps the free edge.

no, the natural nail is not curling away from what I noticed. It seems separated. O dont know what to do I am definitly going to make sure I cap the free edge.

I would stick with the product that you feel the most comfortable with or love doing, and just do it well.....

If it doesn't happen to any of your other clients, then most likely it's something the client is doing......wether she's picking at them or just plain rough with them.

My nails are fairly flat, thin and very flexible.

They separate from L&P and gel however well I cap them. I know it is not just my application as they did this when I used to have them done by my Creative educator.

I have found that the minute they become overlays this starts to happen so I have to cut them down and re sculpt. HTH

Any nails that are of an extreme shape ... Ski Jump, Hooked, Flat, Fanned

WILL suffer the problems you describe when they grow out far enough to be a natural nail overlay.

The client has to understand that it is due to her natural nail shape that she is having the problem, and they will have to have regular full sets every 2-3 months on average if they want them perfect all the time. That is the reality for this type of client.

ahhh.... I let her know that it is mostly due to the shape of her nails. And that she will have to have regular full sets about every 6 months. uggh and she wants her nails so short. I told her we may need to make her nails longer...she doesn't like that plus she doesn't understand why length would have anything to do with it. And she likes the the french. Doesn't like polish says it wears off to fast. Not white white, but off white!!!! and a thin white....

the best way to describe her nail is onyhuggmosis.. dont think I spelled it right. I was thinking about it all night!

Do you think she should have Gel or Acrylic??? Thank you all for your reponses it really helps me out.. iv'e been so nervous because I just moved to this small town about 1 1/2 yrs ago and im still building and she is a definite talker. Talked about how she wasn't too happy with her nails to a client right in front of me!

You need to let her know that you have researched this and have found other people with the same or similar shaped nails will always suffer with this problem, no matter what you do when her own nails get the NNO stage.

Be confident in what you say to her and make sure she understands that if she has them longer you can make her nails last longer between having in fills and new sets. To be honest though, i would say if she did have them longer, you may find the problem gets worse because of her shape.

Believe in yourself Hun, you know you don't have this problem with any other client, so it is just one of those things. Just make sure you do a great set for her and smile. You will always get someone who isn't happy all the time, but you know your work is good, so be confident, tell her why it is happening and what you will have to do. Its not you!

Hi, if she has very hooked nails then it is best to stay quite short anyway because the longer they get the more pronounced the hook gets. If i were you i would do a new set of sculpts with l&p, i would probably go for colour blend and keep the white nice and small so the nail bed looks longer.
Good luck :hug:

Thank you for all the help.. I had her today and explained everything. Although I did a full set, tips, acrylic. Time was limited for her and I. Hopefully all will be ok. She was happy. So I guess I will wait and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back