Help! Gelish top coat all clogged up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so maybe we can rule out the desk lamps.

Why isn't this happening to me when I have full daylight in my room all day? Not from above like a conservatory, but through two windows.

OK, so maybe we can rule out the desk lamps.

Why isn't this happening to me when I have full daylight in my room all day? Not from above like a conservatory, but through two windows.

I know I'm ok with daylight as long as I'm not right by the window but in the conservatory this morning I literally just watched the brush go rock hard in a couple of seconds!! Problem is OPI don't do replacement brushes! So now I gotta go n buy either another gel brush or a completely new top coat. Not impressed xx

Mine did it that quickly too. I need a new bulb as had a daylight one but when it went I could only get a normal one. Why just the top coat though?

I don't even use a desk lamp so no day bulb there for me.

I how ever sit near a window, with a screen (room divider) blocking the direct sunlight from the desk area.

Picture attached of the newly positioned desk, excuse the mess but I've had workmen in over the past day or two.

Attachments

• 2012-04-01 18.22.48.jpg
    2012-04-01 18.22.48.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 183
Hi

My top coat brush has also cured, but not fully. I am a member of the Nail Harmony group on facebook and a couple of people have said the same thing on there too about their brushes. It seems we have all bought our top coat from Sally's. We have all kept the top coat out of sunlight, away from the lamps etc. The only common denominator we could come up with was Sally's.
Im going to have to phone Harmony to get a couple of new brushes.

Just a thought...

Do you always wipe your topcoat brush thoroughly on a clean lint free pad before replacing it back in the bottle?

I'm wondering if the brush is picking up product from the 'cured' colour coat and transferring it back into the bottle? Perhaps combined with the sunlight/lamp, a chemical reaction occurs that is causing the top coat to cure inside the bottle?

Otherwise, no idea!

Hi

My top coat brush has also cured, but not fully. I am a member of the Nail Harmony group on facebook and a couple of people have said the same thing on there too about their brushes. It seems we have all bought our top coat from Sally's. We have all kept the top coat out of sunlight, away from the lamps etc. The only common denominator we could come up with was Sally's.
Im going to have to phone Harmony to get a couple of new brushes.

Sorry Hun I'm having the same problem with opi and I bought that from Lena White !! X

Just a thought...

Do you always wipe your topcoat brush thoroughly on a clean lint free pad before replacing it back in the bottle?

I'm wondering if the brush is picking up product from the 'cured' colour coat and transferring it back into the bottle? Perhaps combined with the sunlight/lamp, a chemical reaction occurs that is causing the top coat to cure inside the bottle?

Otherwise, no idea!

To be truthful Hun no I don't but then I don't with my shellac or normal polish either I would find it a waste of product. I don't have any issues as long as I stay completely away from the window or conservatories!

It's just when I forget whoosh and there goes another brush. Does anyone know if the Gelish brushes fit in OPI bottles and if so could someone get me some and I will pay for them LOL. I'm out of brushes now arrrrgggghhhh!!

Xxxxx

I don't even use a desk lamp so no day bulb there for me.

I how ever sit near a window, with a screen (room divider) blocking the direct sunlight from the desk area.

Picture attached of the newly positioned desk, excuse the mess but I've had workmen in over the past day or two.

Lovely peaceful looking area. But look at the light filtering through on the desk and chair that is all it takes to start hardening the brush. Xx

Are you cleaning your bottles after use? If not then little bits of Gelish will be building up on the bottle which then makes the seal less tight, letting air into the bottle which will also ruin your gel.

Hi all,

I emailed Nail Harmony today to ask about this problem and this is the reply:
The top it off will cure much easier than colours. Colours have pigment within the gel which makes the uv light pass through slower, hence why they don't cure instantly like the top it off.

If you're working in a conservatory or near a window or door, any daylight will cure it even if it's not a sunny day.

You need to remember that daylight is a by product of sunlight so it will still carry uv rays. Just like you can still burn your shoulders in a hot country even if it's cloudy.

Make sure you're away from natural daylight and only have lighting from a desk lamp to brighten up your workspace. If you're near a window, make sure you have curtains or blinds to block out the light, OR reposition your workstation away from the window.

They also said they will send me some spare brushes. Good customer service but it does seem a bit extreme that you have to work with no natural light and it's impossible in my conservatory! It is one of the lean to ones with a corrugated plastic roof, don't know how I'd stop light coming in there. Can't afford to buy blinds for the whole conservatory they cost a fortune. :confused:

Hi all,

I emailed Nail Harmony today to ask about this problem and this is the reply:
The top it off will cure much easier than colours. Colours have pigment within the gel which makes the uv light pass through slower, hence why they don't cure instantly like the top it off.

If you're working in a conservatory or near a window or door, any daylight will cure it even if it's not a sunny day.

You need to remember that daylight is a by product of sunlight so it will still carry uv rays. Just like you can still burn your shoulders in a hot country even if it's cloudy.

Make sure you're away from natural daylight and only have lighting from a desk lamp to brighten up your workspace. If you're near a window, make sure you have curtains or blinds to block out the light, OR reposition your workstation away from the window. [/FONT

They also said they will send me some spare brushes. Good customer service but it does seem a bit extreme that you have to work with no natural light and it's impossible in my conservatory! It is one of the lean to ones with a corrugated plastic roof, don't know how I'd stop light coming in there. Can't afford to buy blinds for the
whole conservatory they cost a fortune. :confused:

I thought as much this goes withnwhat I was saying about being in the conservatory even though it was cloudy. You are lucky opi don't do any replacement brushes so I'm stuck using a separate gel brush. Xxx

Well, I'm a bit stuck then as I can't move my nail desk to another position (I don't think).

Thanks for that though cloughers.

Hello, I have just has the same problem today using IBD Just gel, But my top coat brush has gone really hard and then my base coat has started to go!!
Do you know if you can buy new brushes anywhere??
I was in the middle of doing a clients hands when this happened!!

Hopefully it wont happen again!
xx

I am also using Opi & my brush is hardening - I keep cleaning it but it's a bit embarrassing in front of a client when the brush no longer bends LOL! My first one cured completely!

Can the brush be removed from the lid without damaging the lid & then use a gel brush for the topcoat? So you can still seal the top to the bottle - if you know what I mean??

I am also using Opi & my brush is hardening - I keep cleaning it but it's a bit embarrassing in front of a client when the brush no longer bends LOL! My first one cured completely!

Can the brush be removed from the lid without damaging the lid & then use a gel brush for the topcoat? So you can still seal the top to the bottle - if you know what I mean??

Not sure about OPI but with Gelish you can pull the brush out of the lid and replace it with a new one (which Nail Harmony sent me lots of!)

Latest posts

Back