Help! Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ionealexandra

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm having a few problems with gelish at the moment.
So I've been doing gel polish for a bit now and they've all been perfect, absolutly love it and my clients do too. But I've just ordered some new colours from gelish (only tested them on myself and my mum so far) and the darker colours such as caution seem to evaporate on the edges, I take my time going as close the the sides as possible with really straight lines then when I've finished the last nail I noticed that the gel polish has either shrunk or evaporated, not sure which. (This is before curing btw) And I don't put it on thick, I apply thin layers, so not sure whats happening?

Also I did a course a few weeks ago for uv gel nails. When I got home I decided to test the hard gel on myself and my mum without the tips, I think the stuff was called nouveau. Anyway it lasted about 3 days on our nails then just started cracking off, and splitting, now our nails are really damaged and weak. (I've tried contacting the tutor but she doesn't seem to want to get back to me)
My gelish polish now stays on my nails for about a week or less, is this because my nails are now so week and bendy? Would it be worth getting some of the soak off structure gel? And our nails being weak, could this also effect the evaporating polish? Or is this something else.
I haven't booked any clients in for a week because I'm scared it's going to happen on them. Also I'm not going to do any uv gel extentions after using the nouveau stuff so now I feel like I've wasted loads of money on a course :sad:
Please help

Xxx

Last edited:
It seems the product is changing slightly. I've also found it with my newer ones but not with my old ones.
I find that I have to apply and cure every other nail or cure each nail.
ie apply one nail and then cure whilst doing a nail on the other hand. Only trouble for me is that I don't have an LED lamp so takes time. I only have a uv lamp.

Ah that's exactly what mines doing, the one I say is only I probably only had it for a month and have used it once, but I'm sure it never did it before. I only have a uv lamp too, so it take so long. But I might have to do two or three nails at a time like you said.

Same here too! With my newer ones shrinkage back from the sides and the free edge even after 'sealing' the nail. Thought I had got 'lazy' with my prep, but seems others are getting this too. Would be interested to know if there is a solution as application is taking longer than it should now, and looks unprofessional :(
X

Same! My new batch of colours are doing this but not the ones I've had for a while! Doing exactly as trained but just thought I was doing something wromg!

Have had some shrinking with make you blink pink, was on acrylic which rules out missing foundation :-/ as for your gel- cracking is usually due to being too thin. Might take practise what is the set up of your training? Def need to go back to her!

Ive been using Gelish since it first came out. Never had a problem like this until I bought new colours during the last couple of months. My older colours are not causing me any difficulty so it's the change in product. My replacement colours are thinner.

It's happening to me too. I make sure I dry brush really thoroughly, I cap first and put them in the lamp for 5 seconds , dry brush again and continue as normal. Solves the problem. I have the 18g so it takes no time at all. I know you shouldn't have to but dry brushing the colour coats helps too :)

Yes it's also happening to us!

I read somewhere to make sure the bottles aren't too cold. Warm them up between your hands before applying and see if that helps?none of mine seem to have this problem. But I'm sure nails harmony would love to have your feedback xx

I have the same problem with Samuri and Night Reflection but no others! I inboxed NH and they asked how long I was curing the foundation. I replied 5 secs (led 18g) but had no further reply :| It's so annoying as they are popular colours. Hope the new colours don't do it....

I have the same problem with Samuri and Night Reflection but no others! I inboxed NH and they asked how long I was curing the foundation. I replied 5 secs (led 18g) but had no further reply :| It's so annoying as they are popular colours. Hope the new colours don't do it....

Try rolling them upside down in between your hands, it does make a difference. Samurai and Night Reflection oh and Black Shadow and Ocean Wave are the naughty ones! Def try capping first and cure for a few seconds...or even doing one hand at a time helps.x

Try rolling them upside down in between your hands, it does make a difference. Samurai and Night Reflection oh and Black Shadow and Ocean Wave are the naughty ones! Def try capping first and cure for a few seconds...or even doing one hand at a time helps.x

I have tried rolling them upside down but hate the way the gel then runs down the shaft of the brush :sad: I have also tried freeze curing two nails at at time but not by capping free edges so I'll give that a go! I wish you could shake Gelish like you can Shellac as it feels like that's what it needs!

I was told by my educator to almost wave them upside down from side to side

I only use gelish and hardly have this issue at all. Cap your free edge first, then apply color. That is what I do. And also, really do make sure you're getting foundation all the way to the free edge and cap that as well.

And lastly make sure you're also dry brushing the foundation layer.

What does dry brushing mean?

What does dry brushing mean?
With Gelish it is advised you dry brush the foundation gel once it is cured I.e. take a dry brush over the surface then the surface won't be so smooth and will hold the colour layer better.

Cool, thank you. I've been having the same problem with gellish evaporating away from the edges and I find gellux can be inclined to do it. I never have this problem with shellac.

I've not had this problem yet but I've not recently brought any new colours either...gone off gelish a bit :-/

Latest posts

Back