Help, have I made a huge mistake ref home study course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjjones

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a newbie and would appreciate some advice.

I live in the Chanel Islands and have just signed up for ASET level 3 Nail technician/professional diploma through Stonebridge College.

I've since found you guys and everyone whom has asked about courses has said Essential Nails is the way to go.

I'm a single mum of 2 and was hoping to boost my income, and upon completion work from home.

I'm trawling through ebay and other sites hunting for a Nail trainer hand to practice with too.

Have I made a terrible mistake??

Any advice appreciated!

I have to say i paid £460 for my essential nail course and would much rather have gone to college and have someone show me how to do it properly and although i saw it on the dvd provided, I would have loved to have some one to one with a tutor. I love to hear their experiences and tips and things they have done wrong.
I wouldnt have been without my nail trainer!!!! You cant keep doing your friends nails as they get sore.The nail trainer cant feel it lol However i would say get a few friends to practice on when you feel you have had enough practice as real hands are much harder (i found anyway)
So personaly i dont think you've made a mistake hun.
Good luck xxx

Thanks Kylieb,

I too think its important to hear of other experiences and tips. Have been offered to work shadow someone in a salon in a few weeks, just watch them. I'm hoping will be valuable experience!

Oh what a fab idea! I bet you will learn a lot from doing it like that. Oh please let me know how you get on.
Oh and if you are struggling to get the hand on ebay take a look at capital beauty (just type it in google)
They are about £100 but i would have paid all the money in the world for mine, once i knew how useful it was. The downside of buying one from ebay is sometimes the nails will pop off as you are doing them as there is a correct way of removing them.If people just pull them off, it makes the ridges that hold the nails on become flat and then your stuffed.
xxx

cool thanks for the advice hon, see i know nothing lol!!!!

Yer i'll keep you posted as to how i get on. My fella's bestmates girlfriend owns the salon and she does gel nails there so can basically go whenever suits. Be great if I'm stuck on a certain technique!

Any other tips and advice appreciated lol!!

x x

I am currently doing an ASET level 3 in Nail Technician home learning, I have realised I have made a huge mistake in choosing this, I will be unable to get public liability insurance with this as it doesnt offer a practical course certificate.

So I am now searching the net for an affordable course in my areaas I cant afford creative or such places.

Hello Tinks,

the course you are studying DOES offer a practical course certificate as i have just qualified with them and you can get public liability insurance.

Hello sjjones,

i don't think you have a big mistake, we have to do what suits us. someone doing a 2 day course has no more experience than us! i have 2 children and a part time job and find it hard but i practice on friends and family to help me improve. it just takes practice! keep it up girl!

Lisa x

Hello Tinks,

the course you are studying DOES offer a practical course certificate as i have just qualified with them and you can get public liability insurance.

Hello sjjones,

i don't think you have a big mistake, we have to do what suits us. someone doing a 2 day course has no more experience than us! i have 2 children and a part time job and find it hard but i practice on friends and family to help me improve. it just takes practice! keep it up girl!

Lisa x

Thank you hon, my first batch of correspondence arrived today and needed to read that to boost myself back up again!!!

Who did you study with and how did you find the juggle with home, job etc???

I am a worrier as I dont have any financial support and had saved like crazy to afford this course.

Thanks again, your a star!!

Hello Tinks,

:suprised: oh Can I? I sent a msg to UK Open Learning enquiring about this and they said, no you wont get insurance with this home learning alone, you will need to take practical training.

They never mentioned that they do courses themselves for me to qualify with. an you give me a bit more information about this, would really appreciate it.

:suprised: oh Can I? I sent a msg to UK Open Learning enquiring about this and they said, no you wont get insurance with this home learning alone, you will need to take practical training.

They never mentioned that they do courses themselves for me to qualify with. an you give me a bit more information about this, would really appreciate it.

Tinks, who are you doing your ASET level 3 with??

S x x

This has really helped me as I've been looking at all of the various courses on offer and it's mind boggling the amount of choice there is. Some of the info I looked from Habia and ANT said that NVQs were the way to go, but I've struggled to find the right information. Any advice anyone would provide would be brilliant as it is so confusing.

Latest posts

Back