Help - I melted my tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terregles

Reaction score
I applied a set of enhancements to my first real customer 3 weeks ago and she made an appointment st the weekend for me to go last night to infill. I was really delighted to see that she had absolutely no lifting whatsoever but she had broken the tip off one of her thumbs (at the weekend, hence her call - I educated her over that one and have the next appointment scheduled for 2 weeks). I thinned out the enhancements - she wanted the length kept - and did the infills. On the thumb nail I used acetone on a pad of cotton wool wrapped up in foil to soak off the exisitng product while i was working on the rest of the nails. My customer is a bit of a fidget and she kept undoing the foil so i had to constantly re-apply the cotton pad. In the process, i managed to melt my own tips on one of my hands. although I'm a bit amused at making such a stupid mistake, I wondered if there is an easier way to deal with acetone. I've considered using tweezers to hold the pad, but I doubt if I'm dextrous enough. Any advice will be much appreciated from this poor would-be tech with 3 short and slanted tips on the left hand!

I'm not sure if this would work, but how about using a solvent resistent topcoat such as Powerseal or Evergloss? They need curing under UV light but I should think they would protect your enhancements. I've bought some Powersesal to use myself, just haven't got around to it yet cos I haven't done a set of enhancements on myself yet that I want to keep on!! :D

Thanks for that, Bimbogeri, I had Quattro on top but hadn't capped the free edge(I read Gigi's gel tutorial last night). It is the exposed underside of the tips that melted.

I don't really have ways of helping to avoid melting your tips as such. It is your client that needs to know that everytime she exposes her soaking nail, she is making it take much longer to soak off. An alternative to this would have been to sculpt on a new tip rather than remove what was there. If the product was good on the nail then there was no reason to remove it.

I hope this makes sense.

why not wear gloves, when Im taking product off thats what I do

Gloves can certainly help but in this situation could be a bit fiddley if you don't usually wear them. Try holding the cotton wool between your knuckles and away from your nails. It feels a bit clumsy at first but you get used to it and it is a good way for removing polish too.

Sounds like your client needs a slaped wrist for playing with the foil :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back