help just lost my job ;(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUTY4U

Reaction score
dont know if this is the right section but hoping someone can help iv just lost my job in hair salon business was just getting too quiet so i wasnt surprised but i am 3 months pregnant and iv not been keeping well etc so i dont know what to do surely nobody is going to take on a pregnant woman and how do i go about getting benefits to live on just now any help would be appreciated xx

Have you not thought about going mobile? setting up your own small business? Your job centre will be able to help you with this x

hiya thanks for reply i have thought about that but right now i need something to live on iv never ever claimed benefits so dont know if i would be entitled to anything til i get on my feet xx

posibility is that you would be best thing is to get startight down there and get something sorted , you cant live on nothing then when some kind of benefit is sorted you can concentrate on finding work or setting up Good Luck x

Pop along to the job centre they will help you get what you are entitled to. So sorry to hear this x

hi thanks for the replies yeah il pop along their and see if i can get some help just now i just havnt got the energy for this just now thanks again x

hi thanks for the replies yeah il pop along their and see if i can get some help just now i just havnt got the energy for this just now thanks again x

I know exactly how you feel, I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and for the first 4 months all I did was puke and feel tired! Drag yourself down there tomorrow though as it could take ages for them to set up your benefits. As you were sacked I'm sure you can claim job seekers allowance as you are willing to work, I'm not sure you'll find employment though but you never know, they will advise you and help you apply.

Last edited:
weezie its terrible isnt it iv been at docs nearly every week i know itl be hard to get another job so il get down to job centre thanks x

Just had a thought did you get formal warnings and then notice before they let you go?

no didnt get that the business has been getting bad and i know my boss genuinely cant afford me xxx

That's very understanding of you, I still think that they should have gone through the correct procedures. You should still get maternity allowance from the government if you have worked 26 weeks out of the 66 weeks up until your baby is due. :) you can start claiming this from 14 weeks before you're due. You loose the job seekers allowance then but it should be much more depending on what your wage was, up to £124.88

Last edited:
oh no does it ;( see i dont know any of this in what way is it affected thanks for takin time to reply xx

Yeah unless they have made you redundant (in which case u may be entitled to a payment) you CAN'T just get sacked?!!! They have got to give warnings etc... Unless you've done something really bad which classed as gross misconduct! You NEED to speak to ACAS asap as its not your fault business is quiet. Why should you be the one to suffer?

HTHs

oh no does it ;( see i dont know any of this in what way is it affected thanks for takin time to reply xx

Sorry I changed my post, please see above you, should be ok x but as Cesalon says speak to ACAS anyway as if you had a job you would get more.

ok thanks il have a talk with job centre i dont really want to get into a slanging match with my boss as hes been good to me iv worked their 12 years and i know he really didnt want to let me go but he really just cant afford it and i understand as it is hard now xxx

ok thanks il have a talk with job centre i dont really want to get into a slanging match with my boss as hes been good to me iv worked their 12 years and i know he really didnt want to let me go but he really just cant afford it and i understand as it is hard now xxx

You sound like a very nice person, but you have been loyal too. Hopefully the job centre will sort you out and don't forget to claim the maternity allowance.
Here is the form, you need to also get a Mat B1 form from your midwife after 20 weeks pregnant and fill this out.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimforms/ma1.pdf

Send it off 14 weeks before you are due x

thankyou so much for great advice xx

After 12 years service you are entitled to redundancy pay. Are there other staff there who could have been considered for redundancy? If so, your boss has to use a fair selection process. Your pregnancy must not be a factor in this. If it is, then your selection for redundancy could be considered discriminatory.

Sounds to me like your boss is taking advantage of your good nature.
You need to think of yourself and get the best financial settlement possible. 12 years is a very long time and you must have put a huge amount of work into that business. Now that you need it, they should be helping to look after you , not get rid of you, however bad business may currently be x

i understand what you are saying and i appreciate that but he definately isnt taking advantage of my good nature business has been bad for the last year or 2 and iv seen him struggle to make ends meat its only me and him there i was only working a couple of days for last year and to be honest i was actually thinking of leaving so i have no ill feelings i appreciate him keeping me employed for 12 years same as hes appreciated me working there for 12 years xxxx

Latest posts

Back