HELP! Massage mediums!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Zoe*

Reaction score
I have been sat reading my text book and searching the internet for the last couple of hours and I can not find an answer to this question:-

Which medium would you use and why for dry, oily, combination and normal skin?
The question states that there is oil, cream, lotions, gel and talc.

Now I have put dry skin with oil or cream, Oily with gel or lotion, combination with cream or lotion, normal with oil or cream or lotion.

Anyone have any construtive comments or do you think I am right with this?

My main question is though, WHO USES TALC FOR MASSAGE? I can not find any info on it at all!

Any help much appreciated :rolleyes:

Thanks

Zoe

I myself have never used talc for massage but as I understand it is used to absorb sweat from some clients and make it more comfortable for people who are exceedingly hairy rather than dampening the hair down with oils and creams.

Jack

Thank you Jack! :green:

Talc can be used for where a little more friction is required, eg, sports applications. When i did my sports massage course we used it occasionally. When I taught some sports students sports massage we used it to begin with as it was less messy than letting them loose on the oil!

Would also go with the 'hairy' answer!

Not everyone likes the 'feel' of oil, but that wasn't given as a reason to choose.

I cant actually believe after 30 years they are still asking this stupid blooming question doesn't everyone use oil or just maybe a massage cream who the hell uses talc:) ooh the feel of it :eek:

oh gillian w I completely agree, I cannot stand the feel of talc and when I was training they made us massage with talc and I hated it, but I did it!!, and my college taught me that talc was better for the hairier client!!

Why are people being told to use talc on hairy clients?! The most horrible of mediums!!

For me I use Tui Massage Waxes and they are amazing for hairless clients, gorilla's or those who need to do sports work.

Mat

Where I trained they didnt seem to be up with the times, it was like, hot wax, what is hot wax?? and as for anything other than a little bit from the sides for a bikini wax, even my mother wants more than just a little bit from the sides when it comes to a bikini wax so therefore that is probably why they suggest talc for hairier clients!! and that was only a year ago!

You use talc when doing reflexology.

The boys and girls at Tui listened to the reflexologists and answered with a balme specifically for them (UK or NZ). They also have a Fascial Release wax for those who need that.

There is no need to use talc in massage or waxing treatments - there are much much better options now. That are better for both the client and therapist.

Mat

The boys and girls at Tui listened to the reflexologists and answered with a balme specifically for them (UK or NZ). They also have a Fascial Release wax for those who need that.

There is no need to use talc in massage or waxing treatments - there are much much better options now. That are better for both the client and therapist.

Mat

These sound similar to what we use in Oz - Premax. Used mostly by sports trainers, MTs and physios. I used it a lot when working with AFL players.

Personally, I use flexall, percutane, arnica or just plain oil. I work mostly with sports people or do remedial work so the products I use are very specific for these people as to their injuries.

Latest posts

Back