HELP my client losing her prebonded hair extensions!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladygodivahair

Reaction score
Help !!! i did a half head application of prebonded extensions on my client 10 days ago and she called me to say that she has lost half of them, i have never had anyone lose that many before i have only qualified 3 years ago in extensions i did balmain course and use other prebonded hair from hair extensions.co.uk which i have not had problems with before untill now! i am a qualified hairdresser 0f 15 years as well, i havent seen them yet but have her booked in next week to have a look at them and to apply some more but worried same thing might happen again!
please could anyone give me some advice in case i have done something wrong.
thanks.xx

dont stress just yet.. it may not of been something you've done... it may be something SHE has done...
did you give her aftercare products,care list ect...
did you roll the bonds tight at both ends?
was her hair particully greasy?
you really need to see it first xxx

If you applied them as per usual, the first thing i would ask is what kind of conditoner she is using at home. Many 'deep' or theraputic reconstructors have ingredients that cause the bonds to dissolve. Some use it improperly, saturating the scalp area, when they should only be using it on zones 2 and 3.
Good luck:)

Was the hair sqeaky clean and not conditioned when you applied them? Did you do the pre-shampoo or did she? was the hair bone dry before application?
Along with using the wrong products as in the above post, these factors can also cause bonds to come out.

hi i did not pre shampoo the hair and i did tell her not to put conditioner on the hair, and wash night before she was given a hair extension brush and hair extension shampoo and conditioner as well ,ill have to take a look at them when i see her on tues to put them back in and i guess ill have to do free of charge as well!
it took me four hours to do 3/4 head app with pre bonded hair what suppliers do you use as i have noticed that the hair that i put in is 0.5g per strand and i have to put alot of rows in to build the base four to five rows up to occipial then scattered rows after to blend if i used thicker strand hair would i still need to do that many rows?

Always ensure you prewash with a clarifying shampoo, blowdry , and straighten yourself before applying. Its just not worth the hassle i feel not as this is what can happen ( having to reapply and an unhappy client) for the sake of saving a hour tops!!!!

All this advice is good.
to answer your question about suppliers you will find Lush-us is excellent. Their bonds are 0.8 and lovely and lusty. Lol. They are good volume all the way down, not tapering into a disappointing and skinny point. And they do have good staying power.
Of course as everyone is saying it may be relative to the client that there's been this loss. And sometimes it just happens!
When you say 3/4 head do you mean less than a full head or just the normal coverage up to the crown?
Lxx

Always ensure you prewash with a clarifying shampoo, blowdry , and straighten yourself before applying. Its just not worth the hassle i feel not as this is what can happen ( having to reapply and an unhappy client) for the sake of saving a hour tops!!!!

I never straighten before applying extensions as it close down the cuticle. Hair should be washed as you said, with a clarifying shampoo and then rough dried. I always leave the hair to cool fully as well, as heat makes the hair shaft expand. If you apply extensions when the hair is hot, the hair contracts as it cools and the bond is then not secure. :)

Good point about cooling down. Problem with always using clarifying shampoo though is it will strip colour from chemically coloured hair. Can upset the colour match.

Linda

Good point about cooling down. Problem with always using clarifying shampoo though is it will strip colour from chemically coloured hair. Can upset the colour match.

Linda

If you use pureology purify shampoo it won't hurt the colour. It is a clarifier for coloured hair.

I normally pre wash the clients hair in the shampoo that supports the system I am using. If I am using Balmain hair, I will pre wash using the Balmain shampoo.

Most modern clarifying shampoos are colour friendly and won't strip any colour. I use Schwartzkopf deep cleanse in the salon and it leaves the hair lovely. If I want to strip colour, I leave that to the Bed Head range in Tigi ;). Gone are the days when you had 'cardboard' feeling hair from a clarifying cleanse! :)

I never straighten before applying extensions as it close down the cuticle. Hair should be washed as you said, with a clarifying shampoo and then rough dried. I always leave the hair to cool fully as well, as heat makes the hair shaft expand. If you apply extensions when the hair is hot, the hair contracts as it cools and the bond is then not secure. :)

Yes your quite right , i personally do straighten the hair if applying straight hair before application but only midlengths and ends . Not the root area . Sorry should have made that clearer!!!

If you use pureology purify shampoo it won't hurt the colour. It is a clarifier for coloured hair.

Ah that would work then. Thanks for that.

Linda

Most modern clarifying shampoos are colour friendly and won't strip any colour. I use Schwartzkopf deep cleanse in the salon and it leaves the hair lovely. If I want to strip colour, I leave that to the Bed Head range in Tigi ;). Gone are the days when you had 'cardboard' feeling hair from a clarifying cleanse! :)[/QUOTE]

i was advised to use matrix claryfiying shampoo and tigi bed hed self absorbed conditioner by my extist (who i have issues with at the mo), i thought my hair had changed color recently! looks a little orangey would this be why? x

You don't really need to use a clarifying shampoo with every wash unless you are a regular swimmer or use a shed load of products.

It may be what has interfered with the colour. Also, I personally wouldn't use self absorbed on extensions. The only one Tigi themselves recommend for extensions is oatmeal and honey (think this is in the Catwalk range). You should really be using the products that the hair company recommend for the best result.

A lot of the Bed Head range (conditioner wise) is known for opening the cuticle to condition:Dumb Blonde is amongst one of the worst offenders, so if the hair is coloured, the cuticle is left wide open for the colour molecules to wash out.

You don't really need to use a clarifying shampoo with every wash unless you are a regular swimmer or use a shed load of products.

It may be what has interfered with the colour. Also, I personally wouldn't use self absorbed on extensions. The only one Tigi themselves recommend for extensions is oatmeal and honey (think this is in the Catwalk range). You should really be using the products that the hair company recommend for the best result.

A lot of the Bed Head range (conditioner wise) is known for opening the cuticle to condition:Dumb Blonde is amongst one of the worst offenders, so if the hair is coloured, the cuticle is left wide open for the colour molecules to wash out.

wow i've been using these products for 8wks! and no others, i'm a nail and skin geek and no hair experience,
my hair seems to get more greasy do you think that is cos of the claryfying shampoo? i dont use loads of products at all on my hair as i tie it back for work loosley,
the only thing i knew was products to have no oil in them as this breaks down the bond,
I feel like the extensionist has give me really bad advice:cry:

Help !!! i did a half head application of prebonded extensions on my client 10 days ago and she called me to say that she has lost half of them, i have never had anyone lose that many before i have only qualified 3 years ago in extensions i did balmain course and use other prebonded hair from hair extensions.co.uk which i have not had problems with before untill now! i am a qualified hairdresser 0f 15 years as well, i havent seen them yet but have her booked in next week to have a look at them and to apply some more but worried same thing might happen again!
please could anyone give me some advice in case i have done something wrong.
thanks.xx

Hows it going with this client now, as well as all the other fab advice you have been given another couple of reasons for losing bonds , or slippage is using a hairdryer that is too hot on the extensions and picking and pulling at the bonds ( which some clients do without realising). I would also say maybe the incorrect ratio of client hair to the extension hair/bond but as you are experienced and aleways use that hair i doubt that one.
If you are looking at getting hair that is alot thicker than the 05.g then the Lush US mentioned before also has 1g hair which have been doing quite a bit of trialing with with great results. Also love the celebrity elite also 1g and thick to the ends . amazing hair and last but not least Cinderella hair. You wont need as many as you would otherwise have to use so cutting your time down buy half as well. these bonds just dont budge and many of my clients do not lose any right up until removal time.
Hope this helps x

Hi all thanks for the advice i have changed the supplier to foxy hair extension as read some good reviews on this one i will wash the clients hair this time myself to ensure that it is done properly, she took the remaining extensions out herself whch leads me to think it must have been something she had done, i am going to do another set on the 11th sept so fingers crossed no problems this time.

I have had many clients who came to me with the same problem - when pre-bonded hair extensions would slip out. Usually, the hair extensions that were used were purchased from ebay for no more than £50, which come from China. The quality of such hair and also the glue is not the best. That's why some people had problems. I, personally, use SO.CAP hair extensions. The glue is very strong, some clients would even use a conditioner and they wouldn't slip out. Never had problems with these extensions.

Hair Extensions by Natalana. Mobile in South Wales and South West England - mobile hair extensions

I always wash my clients hair for them myself if it is the first time I am applying extensions as I have quite often found that clients will not wash teh back section properly and a build of of products and conditioner may still exist.

Latest posts

Back