help! nail art polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbabyprinc3ss

Reaction score
hi,
i'm untrained and never saw a nail tech do actual nail art with the brush, so i was wondering how i can draw maybe a flower on myself? ( i can do line with stripers) it seems that regular nail polish is too runny and i have toapply multiple layers...by the time i'm done with the multiple layers, the petal is now way too thick ( i use OPI nail polish and istill need to apply layers)....then i saw acrylic nail paint, are those better?! and do we use that....also, how do you clean your brushes after these nail paints

lilbabyprinc3ss said:
hi,
i'm untrained and never saw a nail tech do actual nail art with the brush, so i was wondering how i can draw maybe a flower on myself? ( i can do line with stripers) it seems that regular nail polish is too runny and i have toapply multiple layers...by the time i'm done with the multiple layers, the petal is now way too thick ( i use OPI nail polish and istill need to apply layers)....then i saw acrylic nail paint, are those better?! and do we use that....also, how do you clean your brushes after these nail paints
if you're using water based acrylic paints then your brush will clean out in water, give it a good swish around in the water, run it under the tap if it's badly clogged with paint, then dry on a piece of kitchen towel.
acrylic paints are IMO a lot better than nail enamel when doing nailart, firstly because they aren't as thick and secondly because they're easier to correct if you mess up, plus if you get it onto the skin it's simple to remove (that's 3 reasons lol).

ValencianNails said:
if you're using water based acrylic paints then your brush will clean out in water, give it a good swish around in the water, run it under the tap if it's badly clogged with paint, then dry on a piece of kitchen towel.
acrylic paints are IMO a lot better than nail enamel when doing nailart, firstly because they aren't as thick and secondly because they're easier to correct if you mess up, plus if you get it onto the skin it's simple to remove (that's 3 reasons lol).
thanks!..any suggestions of what brands of acrylic paints ishould look into?

go to either A.C. Moore or Michael Crafts.
all you need is a bottle of acrylic craft paint. ive used them for years.
if you look in the flyer for a.c. moore, sometimes they have them on sale 4/$1.00. stock up, they never seem to go bad as long as you keep them out of the sun and heat. i bought colors about 7 years ago and can still use them. of course i go through black, white and red like crazy, but the other colors are great and i have about 90 of them.
just shake them like crazy if they seem to seperate, theyll be fine.
good luck!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

i find using nail varnish and a dotting tool great for designing flowers on the nail.

nail-chick said:
if you look in the flyer for a.c. moore, sometimes they have them on sale 4/$1.00. stock up, they never seem to go bad as long as you keep them out of the sun and heat. i bought colors about 7 years ago and can still use them. of course i go through black, white and red like crazy, but the other colors are great and i have about 90 of them.
good luck!

kathleen

www.mynailsrock.com

wow...WHAT?!? i thought the acrylic craft paints u buy from michaels are different from the acrylic paints u use on u r nails...they're the same?! do they affect ur nails in anyway? do you still finish it off w/ top coat

Fingertips ND said:
i find using nail varnish and a dotting tool great for designing flowers on the nail.

what exactly is nail varnish and where can i get it

the "nail art paint" you buy from the "big guys" for about $3.00 a bottle is the same thing you can buy at Michaels!
trust me, i've been doing nails for so long, it's the same paint you can get for about .25 on a good sale for 50x as much paint!
when i go to work this morning, i'll look and see what the exact brand name is that i love so much.
...varnish, is top coat.
if you look at my web site, everyting that is painted, is done with that paint.

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

lilbabyprinc3ss said:
what exactly is nail varnish and where can i get it

nail varnish/polish/laquer

lilbabyprinc3ss said:
wow...WHAT?!? i thought the acrylic craft paints u buy from michaels are different from the acrylic paints u use on u r nails...they're the same?! do they affect ur nails in anyway? do you still finish it off w/ top coat
they're water based acrylic paints....
you use a basecoat, apply 2 coats of coloured enamel (if you want colour), apply nailart, then one or two coats of topcoat, making sure you leave enough time for them to dry before moving onto the next application :wink2:

nail-chick said:
the "nail art paint" you buy from the "big guys" for about $3.00 a bottle is the same thing you can buy at Michaels!
trust me, i've been doing nails for so long, it's the same paint you can get for about .25 on a good sale for 50x as much paint!
when i go to work this morning, i'll look and see what the exact brand name is that i love so much.
...varnish, is top coat.
if you look at my web site, everyting that is painted, is done with that paint.

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

are you talking about somethin like the one on top or bottom?
fa0297a.jpg

cp0229.jpg

the acrylic paints in the bottles i find to be of perfecr consistency versus the paints in the tubes..they can be a little thick, but you can thin them with water.

yes, the ones on the bottom. i think the one i don't prefere is "art craft" brand. they seem too runny, watery to me.

nail-chick said:
yes, the ones on the bottom. i think the one i don't prefere is "art craft" brand. they seem too runny, watery to me.

the art craft brand you don't recommend isn't the one i posted a picture of right (i think that one is craft smart?) just making sure because the brand in the picture iposted was on sale this weekend i bought a lot of them!! would be a hassle to return and wait for the better stuff to go on sale :p

I'm using ''Anita's all purpose acrylic craft paint'' TT

try one of them before you return anything. you might like them.
when go to work this morning, i'll write myseld a note to look at the brand. sorry i forgot yesterday!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

This fantastic waterbased acrylic paint comes in over a 100 different colours and can be purchased at "The Range" if you live in the uk for 69p per bottle. They sell a wide range of tools and brushes too.

how embarassing!!
i do use Anita's acrylic craft paint.
i love it!!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

nail-chick said:
good luck!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com
hello, how do you put the top coat without running the paint? I cant seem to get it right! Thank you!

easy, let the paint dry!

when dry, it loses its shine, it's usually dry. if you're not sure, what i do is, hit it for a second or two with a hair dryer on a low setting, then hit it with the cold shot to cool it off.

then you can top coat. works every time!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

Latest posts

Back