Help, Need advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperyangel

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping all you fabulous geeks will be able to help?
I recently done a gel conversion day, I was told the way to remove the gel is the same as acrylic (soak with tip remover until it comes away)
I attempted to remove my gels tonight with awful results!!
The gel didnt seem to want to come away from my nails and now they are all incredibly soft :irked: not just the free edge but further onto my nails.
I have a family do on sunday and wanted to re-do my nails before then, but with them being so soft I'm not sure wot to do.
Can I put a layer of gel on my natural nail and then apply tips and proceed as normal???? or is this a bad idea?

PLEASE HELP

Thanks

What gel did you train with?

United Beauty Star Nails GF21
I havent seen much about this gel on here, is it any good?

Sorry, I can't help you with this as I know nothing about this gel. How did you soak them off and what did you use?

I clip the length off of the nail, file over it with 100/180 then soak a nail wipe with tip remover, wrap it around the nail and then wrap in foil until it softens, but this didnt happen tonight and it took me well over an hour to remove them from one hand.
Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry its taking me ages to get back to you but I am typing one handed as I am soaking off my nails on my right hand! Are you sure that this is a soak off gel? I have been trying to do a search and all I have found so far is that it is a traditional gel which I would have thought meant a buff off? I will carry on looking though. Where did you do your training?

United Beauty Star Nails GF21
I havent seen much about this gel on here, is it any good?
Are you sure it's a soak off gel?

re how good it is... It's not a "high end" brand IMO...

I did my training at my local sallys store (U.B & other companys use the premises to hold training days for all sorts of stuff)
When I did the conversion day, I asked the tutor if it is removed in the same way as the acrylic and she told me that it is, but I am beginning to think she wasnt quite telling the truth!

How can I apply another set (acrylic) without damaging my nails anymore??

You can rebalance your gel nails by buffing/filing down the gel you need to 'get rid of' (ir lifting etc), then rebalance using L+P, you might see a slight colour difference but it won't be there for long, you can always cover it up using an enamel.

I have taken them off now, but my nails are really soft from trying to remove the gel.
Any advice on which is a better product to use?

I have taken them off now, but my nails are really soft from trying to remove the gel.
Any advice on which is a better product to use?
Your nails might feel soft but the probably aren't as soft as they feel... when we remove enhancements our nails usually feel softer than we expect them to, this is due to them losing their protective coating... unless you've damaged them during removal there shouldn't be any problems by applying L+P to them.

hth's

I have just read a thread on here but it only had one poster stating that she thought GF21 is a soak off gel. Did you buff the product first and use a professional remover? I know some chemists sell product removers but are nowhere near as quick as professional products. Here is a link discussing the product but no mention of how to remove,

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/46732-star-nails-gf21-gel-your-views.html

I did everything the tutor told me to do (remove any enamel, remove length with tip cutters, buff over with a file to allow remover to soak in, place remover soaked wipe over nail and wrap in foil)
I used the Star Nails remover which is also what the tutor advised me to do, but it didnt seem to do much, so I tried using the Mercia tip remover, but again that didnt seem to do much.
If I want ot use another brand gel, do I have to train with that company first?

It is best to have the training when using a different brand and most companies will only allow you to buy their products once you have trained with them. You may only need to do a conversion, but it is best to have the training. Have a search on this site and take a look at what other people have to say on their particular brand. It is also worth while attending shows to see demo's and maybe try and get some trial kits. I did try and get more information for you but I just could'nt find anything particular about GF21 removal. It sounds like you did it all correctly anyway, most soak offs require the same removal procedure. The only other thing is that maybe your application was a little thick which would have taken longer to soak. Anyway good luck with it all and let us know how it goes. :hug:

HI I JUST READ YOUR THREAD I DONT MUCH ABOUT STAR NAILS OTHER THAN I USED ON A COLLEGE COURSE I DID AND DIDNT GET ON WITH IT AT ALL
I CONVERTED TO BRISA AND REALLY ENJOY USING THAT BRAND BUT I WANTED A BRAND THAT COULD SOAK OFF AS WELL AS ONE YOU HAD TO BUFF OFF
I CHOSE CALGEL I FIND IT GREAT IT SOAKS OFF IN 10 MINS NORMALLY IT COMES IN LOADS OF COLOURS AS WELL THE TRAINING IS EXCELLANT AND I HAVE JUST DONE A REFRESHER COURSE WHICH YOU CAN DO AT ANY TIME THERE IS TRAINING ALL OVER THE COUNTRY
THERE IS LOTS OF DIFFREENT GELS OUT THERE YOU JUST HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH AND MAYBE WHATEVER BRAND YOU CHOOSE GO TO THEM FOR TRAINING THEN YOU GET LOTS OF BACKUP
HOPE THIS HELPS
LISA:)

HI I JUST READ YOUR THREAD I DONT MUCH ABOUT STAR NAILS OTHER THAN I USED ON A COLLEGE COURSE I DID AND DIDNT GET ON WITH IT AT ALL
I CONVERTED TO BRISA AND REALLY ENJOY USING THAT BRAND BUT I WANTED A BRAND THAT COULD SOAK OFF AS WELL AS ONE YOU HAD TO BUFF OFF
I CHOSE CALGEL I FIND IT GREAT IT SOAKS OFF IN 10 MINS NORMALLY IT COMES IN LOADS OF COLOURS AS WELL THE TRAINING IS EXCELLANT AND I HAVE JUST DONE A REFRESHER COURSE WHICH YOU CAN DO AT ANY TIME THERE IS TRAINING ALL OVER THE COUNTRY
THERE IS LOTS OF DIFFREENT GELS OUT THERE YOU JUST HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH AND MAYBE WHATEVER BRAND YOU CHOOSE GO TO THEM FOR TRAINING THEN YOU GET LOTS OF BACKUP
HOPE THIS HELPS
LISA:)

I have my Calgel conversion on Sunday in Nottingham, I'm actually really nervous!

Hi All, Thanks so much for all of your great advice, I really appreciate it *hug*
Im going to Olympia in May, will I find these different companies there?? as my local wholesalers only sell Star Nails & Mercia.
Also, how many other Geeks will be going to Olympia??

Im almost certain star nails gel is a buff off...i remember using it a few times about 18 months ago and it would not soak off but buffed off with no probs HTH

Just found this, it may be of help

Star Nails Starlite UV Gel Clear 1oz/28gm
Ref: 452
Starlite UV Gel is a THIN gel, simple to apply and self levelling. Curing within 2 minutes under a UV Lamp, this high performance gel is a time saving favourite.
Can be used over tips as an overlay, or as a top coat over the thicker sculpting gel or over any other overlay system to give a long lasting gloss finish. File gently with a fine file to remove.

Last edited:
Hi All,
With all the info you lovely fellow geeks have given me and the info I have read up about this gel, it would definately seem that this is a buff off gel!
I dont mind that it is, but what really annoys me is that the tutor I had (as lovely as she is) lied to me!
The only upside to this is that at least I found out before using it on any of my clients.
Thanks for the great advice

Latest posts

Back