Help, nightmare 1st Shellac removal!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaraG

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I finished my CND Naturally Nails course. ON the last day I had to do Shellac on my model (my mum) and was supervised by my trainer who said I had applied it fine. I removed my first attempt with CND wraps and D-solve and it came off beautifully, I was so pleased! I then applied new Shellac a second time for her to go home with, again the trainer was happy with the application. The Shellac was provided by S2 as part of my course kit so there is no doubt as to its authenticity.

Today is day 18 of my mum having the colour. I went to see her to do the removal today (she has been pleased with the wear of it so did not see the need to have it removed sooner).
So.... as per my course I used CND remover wraps soaked with D-solve and left them on for 10 minutes, but...... on taking on the first wrap, the colour was barely flaking off as it had done when I'd been training :rolleyes:
I had my workbook with me which said if colour is not coming off as expected, to leave it for a few more minutes, which I did. After about 4 minutes I checked again, still no improvement. I gave it a gentle touch with an orange stick, still nothing. Some colour was coming off but it looked like the base coat was still bonded onto the nail. So I applied a fresh wrap & D-solve and this time left for another 5 minutes with hands wrapped in a warm towel. Still very little improvement....... :Scared:
In the end I had to scrape the colour off with an orange stick. Some base coat was still stuck to the nail so I buffed (I know, don't shoot me) with the Girlfriend buffer as by now I was desperate and had visions of the stuff being on my poor mum's nails forever. It came off eventually - but this was around 2 hours after beginning the removal :sad:
I know that removal can be hard when the base coat has been applied to thickly but this was not the case as my trainer watched me do it and said it was fine.

I'm really puzzled as to what I did wrong - could I call on you lovely geeks to give me some advice please. Any tips on how to make removal easier next time (apart from ultra thin application)? I am now dreading the next removal.......!

Having it on for 18 days and a lack of oiling are the two things that spring to mind for me. Did you saturate the pads when you rewrapped and secure them tight enough? Normally I have to leave mine on for five minutes longer than everyone else that comments on these threads, but as Doug Schoon says the timings given are the minimum time and if you have to leave on for longer then that is better.
I also hold a pad with remover onto the nail for a few seconds and then scrub the stubborn base coat, but it sounds like you were having more trouble than that.

Hi lovely! I'm new too ( did my CND naturally at the beginning of this year) & struggling a bit with removal too...Has your Mum been using Solar Oil? Was it just the base coat that seemed "stuck"? Does she have "cold" hands? It could be that your base IS too thick, I know I'm guilty of this and trying harder..... & from what I've read, cold hands can create a nightmare!! Don't despair, and be grateful that it was your Mum, it's all (a somewhat scary) learning experience!! Let us know how you get on, I'm sure it'll get better xxx

I dont use the dsolve,i use acetone,8 mins scrapes off lush, we get 1 hr per client at work,to remove and reapply, ive naever had a problem of it not coming off x x
Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Nourishing remover is brill takes 8 mins and make sure you are wrapping tight. I often have problems with pinkies because its been loose. Dont worry if you have to use the orange wood stick to help get it off :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also use Nourishing remover, and usually it comes off just fine after about 10 mins. Now, I did have a lot of problems with removal in the winter, especially with those ladies that already have cold hands. So after lovely ladies on here suggested to incorporate heat I did just that, and it helped tremendously... Also, I did notice that sometimes parts of the nails were not coming off as easily, and I figured it's from where the wrap is not tight enough on the nail. So what I started doing is once the nails are wrapped I would go back and gently press and rub each and every one of them, and then once again give them a good rub right before taking the wrap off. I think it helpes the remover penetrate better, because siince I started doing this the removal has gotten even easier.

D.Solve (which is Acetone lol) and CND Nourishing Remover will both do the trick in equally good time if you are using enough of it.

Other suggestions as to why you may be having stubborn removal (age of product and not using Solar Oil daily) can be a contributing factor, but usually the real culprit is that being new, you application may be a little thicker than an experienced person's and you are not using enough remover to penetrate quickly into the tunnels of the product. When you don't use enough remover, the pads dry up and the removal process is slowed way down. Saturate those babies and see the difference.

I used to think one pump of acetone from my menda dispenser was enough to soak the pads. I used to have the same problems.

I now use 2 or 3 pumps to ensure the pad is really saturated. I now we all want to save money, but it's cheaper to use more acetone than having to keep re wrapping and using more wraps! Saves time too :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you all so much ladies for the advice, really appreciate it. I was bracing myself to be attacked for scraping and buffing (thanks for being gentle with me Geeg)

I will pay special attention next time to thinly applying the base coat. But if I apply it ultra thin won't it go patchy? I did super soak the pads but I have to admit I find the wraps fiddly so I might try the foil type to see how they work for me. I'll also try the Nourishing Remover. I'm glad they're are several options to have a go with.

Also I'm going to set up a daily text reminder to my Mum: "Please make sure you use Solar Oil as least 4 times today Mother" :biggrin:

Thanks again ladies :)

Thank you all so much ladies for the advice, really appreciate it. I was bracing myself to be attacked for scraping and buffing (thanks for being gentle with me Geeg)

I will pay special attention next time to thinly applying the base coat. But if I apply it ultra thin won't it go patchy? I did super soak the pads but I have to admit I find the wraps fiddly so I might try the foil type to see how they work for me. I'll also try the Nourishing Remover. I'm glad they're are several options to have a go with.

Also I'm going to set up a daily text reminder to my Mum: "Please make sure you use Solar Oil as least 4 times today Mother" :biggrin:

Thanks again ladies :)

The problem with advising to work in thin coats, is that everyone's perception of what 'thin' means is different. Lol

Thin means, to cover the nail in a reasonable workable coat of base coat.
It doesn't mean to apply next to nothing on the nail and to work it like a demon to spread it out as far as it will go!! Put another way, use enough to cover adequately, but it should not look thick and juicy! Does that explanation work for you? There is no need for anyone to take the word 'thin' to extremes.

Regarding soak off, you can of course try the foil method if the wraps don't seem to be doing the job for you ... Actually, I had the same sort of problem at first. So, to solve it I used a pipette (dropper) and, without un-wrapping , at 5 minutes I squeezed a little extra remover into each wrapped finger. Solved the problem. With more experience, I no longer need to do that extra step, but my motto is, "Whatever it takes" ... Lol. And I use my head.

Fortunately, time and experience cures most things. It's not always good to give up at the first hurdle and move on to a different method ...use what you have got, Persevere and change something you are doing to make things work.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned the base being applied too thick, i would think more likely the top has gone on too thick, the top is after all the first obstacle d-solve comes up against

Someone mentioned the base being applied too thick, i would think more likely the top has gone on too thick, the top is after all the first obstacle d-solve comes up against

Correct, it could be either, but I use lots of top coat and the important thing to remember is that there has to be enough remover in the wraps to make it through to the base ... Once it gets there, if the base is too thick, then you will be left with it still on the surface.

I had this problem when I first started using Shellac. I find that the wraps don't allow the pads to make full contact with the nail so I have been using tin foil and square cotton pads cut in different sizes to suit the size of the different nails and clients' hands. The different sizes ensure that I do not waste product. CND Nourishing Remover is pricey but it makes a big difference in removal with less damage to the nail.

~ Dip each cotton pad, cut to size into a small glass dish to make sure it is thoroughly saturated. Do not soak - dip. Soaking will pick up too much and it will just squeeze out, drip everywhere anyways and be wasteful. You can use the remaining product in the dish to saturate your plastic backed pad or pour back in the bottle if you have too much.
~ Place the cotton pad on the nail and wrap it in the tin foil being careful to hold in place as you do so. The cotton pad should be in the middle of the tin foil square so that you fold it on the palm side of the hand and there is only one layer of foil on the nail side.
~ Gently form the tin foil to the shape of the nail without pressing too hard or you will squeeze the Nourishing Remover out. This way, there is complete contact of the pad with the nail and it works like a charm.
~ In the winter and with arthritic clients, I use a heating pad placed under a towel on the table. This can help speed up the removal process and is very soothing to the client.
~ I have all my foil strips and cotton pads pre-cut so I just select what I need to suit each client. This is what works for me, I am mobile so this is very space saving and time saving.

I do agree with nicole333, geeg and others that regular use of Solar Oil, age of product and length of time that Shellac is on effects the removal process as well.

With a little practice, you will be able to wrap and form the foil in no time at all. Let us know how you make out if you try it.

I know that this is an older thread but maybe I can add couple of things and this might help others :)

According to what I thinkk could be the biggest culprit:

- Not enough remover/ not enough contact with the pad. BIG TIME
I like using foils and cotton pads that are a size of a nail. Not smaller and not bigger. Saturate them fully. They shouldn't drip but they should not have dry areas.

- Cold hands- we use heating pad in the winter

- top coat too thick. Use enough top coat to cover and then pull it with some more pressure so I don't see "waves" in the nail

- the base too thin- I find that an even coat- not too thin and not too thick works best (and not "working it like a demon to spread it out as far as it will go" LOL LOL Gigi)

- OVERCURING base coat. Some geniuses think if 10 seconds is good then 2 minutes is better right? Not.

- color coats too thick, obviously

- using primers etc. Not a good idea. I know that you most likely didn't do that as you seem to be using the full system properly, but I thought I would mention that

Personally I find that Shellac comes off like a dream compare to other products. Even when left on the nails longer, even when oil was not used, still it removes easier and consistantly better.

Please don't hate me CND folks but I use Gelish Remover- the pink rosy smelling stuff or OPI Expert Touch... and I LOVE it even more then CND remover. The nails don't seem as dry. I don't like using straight acetone except for the feet- the toe nails are thicker, they can handle the acetone ;)

Latest posts

Back